“Excellent!”

Bushara Island Camp
Ranked #9 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Kabale
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Just returned from two weeks in Uganda with the final couple of days at Bushara Island Camp. We had a wonderful stay, the peaceful tranquility of the island was perfect. The food was very good, swimming lovely and we were well looked after by the staff. This is the tenth year I have been to the island and have enjoyed every visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a short stay at Bushara Island Camp, but a great experience nonetheless! The exotic environment and the lovely and interesting people made for a relaxing and pleasent couple of days. I would recommend this to all who value an authentic Ugandan experience with good food and amazing scenery!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Living in a tree house on Bushara Island is a great experience. Located in a beautiful lake close to the borders of Rwanda and DRC provides a true sense of being far from home. The environment is very exotic with djungle like vegetation and birds starting the constant concert just before sunrise around 6.30. Waking up to this sound is amazing. No electricity nor running water just enhance the experience. Food is simple but great and served by very friendly people. All personell we met are lovely and they have great stories to tell. During the day we paddled canoes to see the surroundings.

Room Tip: Pick the tree house
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We spent an amazing Easter holiday on this island. The staff put all their efforts to make us happy. We had our breakfast on the veranda of our cottage and sometimes we had our lunch on a dock that we picked. Very beautiful island with very helping and friendly staff who made everything possible for us.
The price is worth what you get and more!
Will defo go there again -in a drier season tho :-s-

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I spent a long weekend (2 nights) at the Bushara Island Camp. I was a bit worried when I was told that there was no electricity or running water, but this was an amazing experience. The camp is situated in an island in Lake Bunyioni. The nature is amazing, you can't stop wondering around. We stayed in a Safari Tent (Sunbird tent) that was comfortable, and it was a fantastic feeling to have an outside shower in hot water in the beautiful sunshine. All tents are hidden in the nature and have fantastic views to the lake. We enjoyed the calm, peaceful weekend after our busy workdays. The staff was helpful, polite and very friendly. Without previous discussion, Johnson, the Deputy General Manager guided me around the island while telling me the history of the region. This was a nice memory, thank you. The food was delicious and it was even taken to our tent if we requested. We enjoyed the quiet candle light in the evenings.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have just returned to Kisiizi from an amazing weekend at Bushara Island Camp. If you want peace & quiet in stunning surroundings then this is the place to go if you are in Uganda. This is an eco resort on an island in the middle of Lake Bunyonyi and so do not expect running water or electricity, but this is what gives the island its charm, as it takes you away from the worries & strains of everyday life. This is not to say that the facilities are basic, as we stayed in a safari tent overlooking the lake & our every need was catered for. The staff are superb, the food was superb and the environment is superb. Jonson, the Deputy General Manager has a great team working with him, who went beyond our expectations to ensure we had a memorable visit.

Room Tip: All accommodation has amazing views of the lake & surrounding country.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I really tried to find something positive to say about this place when I read about the fact that it is apparently run by a church and it supports the local communities...but I couldn't find anything. It is obviously in a good location, Lake Bunyonyi is a beautiful place, but our experience at Bushara was nothing but negative.

I went there with my partner and some friends. My partner and I stayed at the Tree House for one night but our friends decided to leave after they heard about our experience at the tree house. The tree house was filthy, as if it had not been cleaned for weeks. The toilet and shower were directly connected to the room but they were outside. There was no roof in the shower area and it was raining quite heavily for most of the time we spent there, so not very pleasant to have a shower. There was no water, not even cold water in the little tank they had for the shower. The door connected to the outside shower could not be locked which made us feel quite unsafe. When registering at the hotel, by chance the receptionist heard me saying to my friends that I'd like a hot shower. She asked me if I wanted hot shower and I said yes, she said when and I said now. She did not reply but the hot water did not come to the room until two hours later, when we were having lunch -a sandwich they offer to full board clients, which takes one hour to be made.

It took them half an hour to come to clean the room after we complained and we asked for a second towel -despite having booked a double room and seeing a number of members of staff around, diligently waiting around clients for tips, and will look surprised and unhappy if no tip is given.

My friend's driver and guide came to the island and sat with us at the restaurant and he was bombarded with rude questions about whether he would have some food and what was he doing in the island when it was obvious he was with us. After lunch, my friends decided to find alternative accommodation as they were not impressed with the place, the fact that there was no electricity and the service. My friends were treated in a rude way too when they informed reception that they were leaving, they were accused of having had drinks they hadn't had and asked for payment.

When our friends left, we told the receptionist that we were not happy with the room nor the service and would only stay for one of the two nights we had reserved. From then, some of the members of staff tried to be friendly and helpful whilst others were rude, for example the waitress who brought the dinner menu and threw the menu at us on the table.

The menu is varied, but the quality of the food we had was really poor, particularly considering the price we were paying for the accommodation and full board. We also heard the people sitting at the next table were complaining about their food. The oven was broken, but they only told us after inviting us to have a look at their long menu and once both my partner and I had chosen dishes that required baking. This category included around 50% or more of the menu and in my opinion it would have made sense to warn us before we started looking through it.

After asking for our final bill before leaving and settling it, the receptionist came to the table to say that we ought to pay a bottle of water we had last night. Again, this should have been part of the bill, in my view.

I imagine this place will be a better experience for someone who would enjoy having a hot shower from a hot bucket and no electricity, but this was not what we were looking for during our stay at Lake Bunyonyi. It would have been helpful to have this information on the website, in advance.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that there is no current water and hot water service is not immediate and that there is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple