“Ok for an overnight stay...”

St Giles Heathrow - A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Feltham
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Ok for an overnight stay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was personally dreading this hotel after reading all the poor reviews of it; it was part of a weekend in London through a tour operator and I had no choice over it. However, the room and the bathroom were clean with a decent shower, although the toilet made a funny 'glooping' noise every time it was flushed! The best feature of this hotel was the view; I was lucky to be on the 8th floor and had a spectacular view right across to the London skyline of the London Eye, the Shard etc. It was also great to be able to watch all the planes coming into land at Heathrow; the noise was minimal due to the triple glazing and I had a good night's sleep. However, the windows could do with a good clean inside and out!!! Breakfast wasn't as bad as I was expecting either; I opted for the continental which was ok, there were no meats or cheeses as you would expect and the fruit was restricted to tinned peaches and grapefruit (I personally can't eat grapefruit due to medications). I didn't like having to make a cup of tea out of an urn or having to do my own toast but it wasn't a problem. This hotel was ok for a one night stay but I would not recommend it for more than that.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a spectacular view, the higher up the better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

we stayed 5 nights at the hotel, there is a train station across the street, 20 minutes by train to waterloo.
the first 2 nights were good, at the end of the 3rd night we had a problem with the door lock, our electronic cards didn't work, after I went down to the reception twice cause the door still wouldn't open, one of the employees came up and opened the door with the master key and told me they'll fix it in the morning.
the next day we came back to the hotel and the keys still didnt work, again i went down to the reception and told them about the problem, they guys in the reception didnt know what im talking about, after 15 minutes(!) that we were stuck outside the door of our room, we went down again to the reception and asked to switch room, after few more minutes someone came and opened our door.
the room we were moved to was not as good as the first room, we didnt had a mini fridge like in the first room, the room was noisy because of the trains and airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here beginning of October, as we were visiting Thorpe Park, which is only down the road. The hotel was wonderful, right next to train station so ideal location...be warned though...trains run until 4am, and we could hear them, however didnt bother us at all. Anyway, the room was ample size, nice comfy bed, nice linen. Also a gym suite on site which is good. Only down sides were bathroom is a bit dated and tired, however good enough and fully functioning. Also there are 3 lifts yet only 2 operating...was fine although hotel was very busy (a party of about 50 Chinese students). We only ate breakfast in the restaurant as we had dinner in London, the breakfast food was a little limited and quite poor quality but cold food options also available, so not too bad. The staff very friendly and helpful. Will be returning again.

Room Tip: Beware of the trains! :-)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pardubice
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I spent in this hotel just one night - coming at 1 AM and leaving at 9:30 AM. After a very long and tough day I just hoped for a good sleep. The check-in was fast, and soon I was in my room. But there I was a bit disappointed - very used looking bed-cover as well as carpet, not very clean bathroom with very old fashioned taps uneasy to use, no hand-shower, just the one from the above (you get wet hairs...). And mainly, it was very cold in the room! Although I increased temperature on thermostat, I couldn't fall asleep as I was freezing.
Breakfast was also poor. Firstly, we went to the restaurant in the ground floor where we were informed that our breakfast is served in the first floor, but if we want English breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc.), we can pay 6 pounds extra to get it. I though continental breakfast would be enough for me but I was badly surprised by a limited offer there - only toast bread, butter, jam, sweet rolls, coffee/tea/juice, no ham, no cheese. It was like in some hostel, and not in 4-star hotel.
Overall: This hotel is good enough to sleep over before/after your flight since it is very close to Heathrow airport, but I would not like to live there longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Feltham hotels

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at St Giles Hotel for one night in September and left our car here for two weeks while abroad. We found them through Airport 4U as one of their ‘mystery hotels’. The price was very reasonable so we booked. After booking we were told the name of the hotel which I then checked on TripAdvisor. Many of the reviews were pretty poor so I was not expecting much. I must admit that it is not the poshest hotel I’ve stayed in but the staff were welcoming and efficient. The room, although a bit small and basic was clean and adequate for a one night stay. It does look like it is often used by coach tours of foreign visitors. We did not eat there so I cannot comment on the restaurant. I had asked for a quiet room and we were allocated Room 907. It was reasonably quiet. If you listen carefully you could just about hear the odd train noises in the distance but this would not have stopped me sleeping. Our room had a TV, tea/coffee making facilities, room safe and a hairdryer. The bathroom was small but adequate with a few complimentary toiletries. The towels were a bit on the small side but clean. There was sufficient storage space for a one night stay with room to site a couple large suitcases. We booked an early morning call which did come through. This hotel is not on the airport shuttle route but a taxi fare was just £12 which I thought reasonable. I am sure two tickets on the airport shuttle bus would not have been much less. My only gripe was that in the morning the hotel lift system had broken down. We managed to get our cases down from the 9th floor via the service lift but it did appear that the hotel staff were not very organized in helping other guests to get themselves and their luggage down from their rooms to the lobby. You were left rather on your own to sort yourself out. On our return from holiday to collect our car, everything went smoothly. All in all, I feel we had a very reasonable deal with the stay and car parking. You get what you pay for so, at the price we paid, we couldn’t be too picky and I thought it was reasonable value for money..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have to stay at St Giles at least once a year to attend a course based up in that neck of the woods and every year my heart sinks as I think of the prospect of staying in the former office block known as St Giles. The rooms are basic, the bed hard, the bath is really tiny, the sound quality on the tv is so poor you have to sit right next to it a understand anything. the internet access is seriously slow, takes 7-8 mins to open my email and the dated foyer PC cost a pound for 20 of those precious minutes, by the time you've typed a short message and watched and waited to see if it actually got sent. times up. The food in the restaurant is edible during the evening, but that's about it I wouldn't say I actually enjoy it. The breakfast is just awful.
The basic problem with this place is that it smacks of cost cutting everywhere, not only is the decor tired and dated, the gym is small and full of old (and I mean old) equipment, you get tiny quantities of tea making, no tea spoons just piddly plastic stirrers, I get a polystyrene cup instead of a glass for your bedside water and yet it cost my company £88 for bed and breakfast and I just think that's too much in comparison with some places.
Here's the thing though, this place is always busy! It must be making money as it's packed with tourist every time I'm there. much so that at certain times in the day, I don't even bother trying the use the lifts as they'll be straining under the number of guest piling into them.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't a rat infested hell hole, it's clean, it's functional. It's just not very good.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different Hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ruse, Bulgaria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I expected this hotel to be much worse after learning that it is situated near Heathrow airport. I was worried about the possible noise above all. However, it turned out that the windows are soundproof and the noise was almost non-existant. I had a good sleep all three nights and even I was able to sleep at daytime too.
The room was spacious, good bathroom, TV etc. There were tea and coffee in the room which were included in the price--this is a typical British treatment that did not exist in other European countries I had visited.
The breakfast was less pleasant. There were the same things all three mornings and the choice was rather limited. There was no cheese and there were fresh fruits ( apples and oranges) only one of the three mornings and then only after I asked the staff for fruits. There were baked beans--I have learned that this is another British tradition but in my country ( Bulgaria) we never eat beans for breakfast. I was glad, though, to taste the canned peaches, the famous English marmalade I have heard so much about and I was able to make my own toast(s) in the toaster--all these things were an interesting experience for me.
I have tasted Britain literally!
Next to the hotel, there is a big Lidl supermarket with surprisingly reasonable prices. I bought mineral water, as our guide explicitly warned us against drinking water from the taps in London this hotel included.
Very close to the hotel is Feltham Railway station. The journey to Waterloo station takes 35 minutes. You can take a card for hours off the rush-hour ( that is after 9.30) but expect the first train after 9.30 to be overcrowded.
Very close to the hotel is a small and very pleasant park where I used to take a walk early morning and late afternoon.
And one thing I disliked! I tried to phone a friend of mine from the reception but they told me that it was impossible if I did not have a credit card. I did not have one, so I couldn't phone. Also, the GSM connections were not good--I managed to phone Bulgaria only the third or fourth time from my room.
I do recommend this hotel for people who do not mind travelling to London by train every day of their stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Feltham
Bloomsbury
St Giles London - A St Giles Hotel

Been to St Giles Heathrow - A St Giles Hotel? Share your experiences!