“what a relaxing, pleasant experience....”

Floreat Riverside Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sabie
pretoria
“what a relaxing, pleasant experience....”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My partner and I stayed at this retreat during a short holiday for 3 days in march..
With so many places to choose from we finally settled for the three star lodge.
From the minute we arrived we were treated with warm, friendly service which didnt stop untill the very last day.
The rooms we booked were clean, and very comfortable.
The traditional buffet breakfat we had everyday had a very nice variety.
I think for R695.00 per couple per night we got a lot more than we expected and is great value for money!

What we liked best about the Floreat is the great food, excellent service in all departments and just the friendliness of each and every staff menber.
I defnitely recommend this facility to anyone..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank safariladypretoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Oxford
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights as a base for exploring the area. We were unhappy with the first room we were given (we originally booked a self catering unit for flexibility but it felt very dated and was directly above the bar). The owner/manager was very accommodating and moved us to a better room when we asked if he had anything else available. The standard of the second room was reasonable for a 3-star place - clean, good size and functional. There were enough decent places to eat in town that we didn't eat anything other than breakfast, which was ok, at the hotel. It's not a luxury hotel and the website makes it look better than it is, but it's ok. Although our second room was more expensive than the one we booked we were not charged extra for it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We were really looking forward to our long weekend break to Floreat riverside lodge - it looked really nice on the Internet (the wonders of photoshop I suspect!) and we had high hopes of a lovely stay. On arrival we were told we were booked into one of the "family rooms" as there was my husband and I and our 2 children aged 3 and a half and 11 months. This room was next to reception in the main building - we should have realised our mistake when we got to the room and the room number was stuck onto the door with prestik and was printed on laminated paper block. Once inside we realised how basic it was, there was 1 double bed and 4 single beds scattered around the room. There was a table in one corner with 2 chairs and a grotty looking couch that no more than 2 people could have sat on, but to be honest I did not want to sit on it at all. The concrete wall unit was tatty and the TV only had SABC 1,2 and 3, not even e-tv ! We then saw the bathroom door, this was a pressed board door which had not even been painted - really grotty and the bathroom itself was basic and the floor tiles did not even match the room tiles and it was completely dated and old fashioned. I put my little one on the floor to crawl around but once across the room was enough for me, he was filthy and for the rest of our short stay we did not allow him back on the floor. Our room led out to the parking lot, our view was of our car and of the main road running past the hotel - spectacular, especially considering that there was a car club there and the members were revving their engines and showing each other who was boss for most of the afternoon ! We decided to pop into the Pub for a sundowner, a whisky and water and Savannah light cost us R76-00- what a rip off, this was not the Sun City Palace that may be able to justify prices like those !

I then decided to bath the kids, this was our next problem the water was at best lukewarm, even with the hot tap on full, so the kids had a quick bath and had to be wrapped up warm as the room was cold and the bath water not much warmer - the shower was much the same, adding to the fun of the shower were the cobwebs !!

Our next suprise came later on when we tried to go to sleep (because there was no private area once it was time for our little boy to go to sleep at 7pm the rest of us had to follow, trying to watch TV (a hard task with only the 3 SABC channels anyway !) would have resulted in our little boy being awake half the night with us ! Fortunately we bought a camp cot with us and our little girl had a sleeping bag to sleep in, a blessing in disguise as I would not have wanted my little ones to sleep on anything the hotel provided. My husband and I slept in our clothes with one of our babies blankets over the pillows as we did not want to venture under the covers. Our wonderful peaceful slumber was like an afternoon nap, we discovered that once we switched off the light, the thin cream curtains let all the light into the room, predominantly from the light outside in the parking lot which was our view ! Yes, our room door led straight to the main parking a joy as we could not open our door any time because there was NO privacy from the parking area. Apart from that we had the constant road noise and the chit chat of the night security guard to all his mates and the clanging shut of the gate as people came and went in the night - what a joy our 1st night was !!!

The next morning after an awful night we went to get breakfast which was ok, but our spirits were slightly down as our only thoughts were of how to spend as little time as possible at the hotel in our room- so we went to the Kruger park for the day. On returning we went to get a bite from the pub -a kiddies spaghetti bolognese (R40-00) and a margherita pizza (R55-00) which took forever to get and were almost inedible-the pizza was yellow from cheddar / gouda cheese and not mozarella !

When we got back to the room that night we packed all our stuff and after another restless night we left the first thing the next morning, forfeiting the rest of our money we had paid for the extra night , but feeling that it was worth it rather than spend another night in this dreadful place !

I would certainly NOT recommed this establishment to anyone else, it is a tatty, run down hotel and is misrepresented on the Internet. I would be interested to know if the people who determine the star ratings of hotels have been there recently as this place should even have stars !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sabie hotels

Cape Town
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Floreat, having wanted a reasonably priced, comfortable base from which to explore Mpumalanga. The hotel certainly is well placed for this purpose.

I made the booking directly with the hotel and dealt with Sune, who was friendly, pleasant and efficient - it was a real pleasure to deal with her.

A couple of days prior to arriving at the hotel I phoned to ask if we could make a change to our booking and was told that it would be fine. However, on arriving at the hotel, when I checked that the change had indeed been made, I was told by the extremely offhand young woman at reception that the change hadn't been possible and that it was "just too bad". On arriving in the room we found the change requested had indeed been made but also that only one of the beds was made up and there were no soaps etc in the bathroom.

Dinner at the hotel's main restaurant is a buffet and the food is very ordinary, has a limited choice - and is totally overpriced. Guests would be better advised to eat at one of the many small restaurants in the town itself.

Although the rooms at the Floreat are big, comfortable, clean and neat, the service at the hotel is pretty awful. Dining room service is so slow as to be near comatose, not to mention being a bit shambolic. Breakfast is supposed to start at seven but grinds to a beginning sometime thereafter - it is also a limited choice buffet. The coffee is utterly awful instant stuff. The staff at reception were inept at best, arrogant or surly at worst - they do the hotel no justice whatsoever, which is real pity as this place has the potential to be a very nice little hotel.

The hotel is described as having river views - this is true, the Sabie river runs at the back of the hotel but the views themselves are of a campsite with a labourer's township in the distance. Although the rear of the hotel also faces onto the slopes of a pine plantation, depending on when you are there, there may be felling in progress.

If you just want a place to rest your head and a good base from which to explore, the Floreat is a perfectly adequate three star establishment.

• Liked — Convenience and big rooms
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
UK
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I had booked an executive/honeymoon suite but it was a very basic room. There was no champagne on arrival as promised. The supposed views of the river were in fact of the building work to the back of the room. I was so disappointed I didn't actually stay but checked out half an hour after arriving.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabie
Graskop Hotel
Forest View Guest House & Self Catering
Sabi Star Chalets
Sabi Star Chalets
#3 of 16 in Sabie

Been to Floreat Riverside Lodge? Share your experiences!