My husband decided to spoil me with a long weekend to Timamoon for my birthday last month. Who would have thought that such a place existed in the heart of Mpumalanga on the banks of the Sabie River. Getting there can be a little daunting due to it's remoteness, especially if you're not used to driving on narrow dirt roads, but thankfully our rental car had sufficient road clearance so it wasn't too harrowing for us and simply added to the adventure.
On the first night we stayed in New Moon and then moved to Moon River for the remainder of our stay once it became available. The photos on the website are not an exaggeration at all. The views and surroundings are simply out of this world and the decor of each lodge interesting and memorable with artifacts collected from around the world by the owners. The food was thoughtfully prepared and wonderfully presented by our very attentive and enthusiastic chef. In fact we hope to connect up with her during her visit to Cape Town planned soon.
Whilst the overall service was very good, the reason the lodge doesn't score an "excellent" in my view, is that we discovered :
1. our welcome was somewhat skimmed over, with not much enthusiasm, a forced smile and with scant detail provided
2. the indoor shower in Moon River was blocked and we had to draw it to their attention
3. there was a swarm of bees nesting or settling underneath the pool deck that were very active in the early morning and early evening, which although didn't bother us too much, we had to bring that to their attention, as it had gone unnoticed by management
4. the very loud alarm when we accidentally set it off, after the cleaning staff had for some reason switched on in our absence, meaning we had to drive back to reception to find out how to switch it off as no one had told us about it, let alone how or where to switch the darn thing off
Perhaps the fact that the owners were away in Cape Town for the duration of our stay, had some bearing on these glitches and oversights? Despite this however, we are definitely planning to return at some stage to Timamoon, simply because of the exquisite surroundings and beauty of the place. Perhaps then we'll be able to give it an 'excellent' rating! For a romantic get away, it's perfect :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each individually styled villa offers private pools, luxurious four-poster Indian beds and candle-lit bubble baths large enough to share. Diner at night is an intimate affair with candle lit meals. Spa treatments are done in the privacy of your villa. There is horse riding, hot air ballooning, river rafting, aerial cabling and a 40-minute drive to the Kruger National Park or Blyde River Canyon.Timamoon is fast becoming popular with couples from all over the world who are looking for a private and exotic destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and South African Hotels so you can book your Timamoon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Timamoon Hotel Sabie