“Pancakes”

Cuisines: African
Durbanville, South Africa
“Pancakes”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stopped and had pancakes and coffee whie on route to Hazyview. The pancakes were good and the owner gave good advice about the area. Central point as you enter the town.

Visited July 2014

Nelspruit, South Africa
“Great Pancakes”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Love the place with the friendly staff were very helpful with the kids. Food great love the Pancake options.

Visited May 2014
Kruger National Park, South Africa
“Highly disappointed.”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Ok - I never, ever write a bad review if I can help it. But, being in the travel industry, I think I need to start letting fellow travelers and guests know when something is sub par.

We went for a day trip to Sabie purely to try these pancakes after the reading the reviews, I thought WOW, if someone says they are better than Harrie's, they MUST be something special.

Boy, was I wrong.
Without giving off too many negative vibes, I will write a short and sweet review.

The actual restaurant is in serious need of a face lift, and it gives an indication of what is to come. The menus are very old minimal; Plastic laminated paper with pictures of the pancakes that look NOTHING like the ones on the website.
Our waiter was okay - a nice man, but not too talkative. Just getting the job done.

I ordered a bolignaise mince pancake and a choc milkshake. My partner ordered the biltong and cheese pancake and a cappuccino.
We only waited around 20 mins for the food which wasn't too bad, but when it came, we were both incredibly let down.

My mince pancake was not at all bolignaise mince (normally Italian style, tomatoes, basil etc) but in fact held liver and large pieces of ham, neither of which I eat. There was only a handful of mince in the pancake. Now, of course I could have checked ahead of time as to what was in the bolignaise mince, but having always had a standard bolignaise mince at many other restaurants, I thought there was no need. The salad that was presented with it was limp, and the cucumber looked as if it had been sitting outside for days.
I had to swap with my partner - and we both didn't touch our salads.

The biltong in the pancake was hard and chewy, and I had to remove many bone hard pieces from my mouth, and I was put off further by the cockroach on our table.

The coffee, even though they use the famous Sabie Valley, was nothing to write home about either.
The only good thing about our meal was my milkshake; I really enjoyed that.

I would suggest ordering a sweet pancake if you must go here, otherwise do yourself a favor and head 30km to Graskop where the famous (for good reason) Harrie's pancake house is.

I don't mean to speak negatively or horribly about any business, but I sincerely believe that there are many things that can be improved on at this particular restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Curry pancake”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Wow an awesome pancake super taste and fulling too. I could eat 20 if I'd never get fat LOL, I'll just have to go see the dietitian in March also try ice cream chocolate source and nuts plus Bevs waffle .

1 Thank Elliottmyhill1976
Nelspruit, South Africa
“Yummy!!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

The best pancakes ever!!!(sorry mom). So worth it, we had savory pancakes and milkshakes, if your in the area or just passing through definitely stop by and have some lunch!!

• Visited October 2013