“Pleasantly surprised.”

Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went here with my husband. son and his wife for a light lunch. It was a sunday afternoon and it seems they do not serve their specials on a sunday which are displayed on the blackboard. What they do serve is a sunday lunch menu. 2 coursed £11.95 or three courses £15.95. As we all did not want a full sunday lunch , what we did decide upon was 2 soups with crusty bread and 2 slow roast brisket,medley of winter veg.roast potatoes, yorkshire pud and gravy. We all had drinks and waited for our meal. when it arrived it was hot and there was plenty of it. Soup was tasty and our slow cooked brisket was very tender and veg was nicely cooked. The place was very busy and a nice roaring coal fire was very welcoming. Overall we enjoyed our lunch, found all the staff very friendly and left feeling quite happy having enjoyed our lunch.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The staff is friendly, the place is warm and affordable. We ate one fish and chips really big! Ask just one for two, because is a lot of food.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

A very friendly, relaxed and atmospheric traditional tavern full of character and characters which have never failed to welcome me on my visits. The beers and ciders are always excellent, and I have never been disappointed with the wider than most selection of single malts always being impressed by the staff’s in-depth knowledge of the drinks they serve and how they give a personalised service no matter how busy they are.

I often eat here during my visits and have never been disappointed, I thoroughly recommend the oxtail cheek if available (liver if not) or for something lighter the fishcake made with cockles and lava bread. Super! I also like the philosophy of localised seasonal buying which is so important for the Welsh economy and also the use of their home grown produce from the pub garden.

Regarding the ham debate I feel drawn to comment and it is thus, I also was disappointed. Disappointed that when I asked for this dish it was not available as it was sold out due to high demand! Perhaps the somewhat controversial review earlier has drawn together ham lovers from across the nation to sample this dish! If so I’m sure they were not disappointed.

To end, I fully recommend this gem of a place and intend to return soon.

1  Thank CardiffMark M
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Went for Sunday lunch. Food not hot enough, place lacking atmosphere, a few too many flies. The staff are friendly enough.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

If you have no teeth the ham dish is the one for you.. Presentation bizarre I felt as if it had been pre chewed. It tasted like home cooked ham but oh the texture! It arrived in a modern sculptual form i.e. shredded and moulded. What on earth was the chef thinking!
Incidentally they used the same method for the delicious sounding salt marsh lamb.
Nice atmosphere - my advice just go for the beer.