“Bit out of the way”

Occidental Ibiza
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Bit out of the way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Nice enough hotel food on the whole good the snacks inbetween were dissapointing cold chip hotdogs hamburgers sandwiches could be toasted and were all right hotel has to rectify this. Rooms as said on previous reviews quite small and some were very close to each and had lots of trees which would make it very dark. Drinks okay service from bar staff good once they got to know you . Not much to do round about hotel as all inclusive has killed of all the business, bech not too far away and you could get buses regularly to town. It is a pity that so many places are a bit run down. I would maybe go back to this hotel again if only for the staff which were brilliant from cleaners reception and animation staff all gave 100%.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lyndadonnelly30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Me and a friend stopped her from the 2nd October till the 12th October, we were a bit skeptical after reading previous reviews on here, but we had booked this hoilday on a last minute deal. When we arrived we were given a room key straight away by one of the reception staff that didn't really interact with customers or smile. When we got to the room there were four beds when there are just two of us this made this room feel small, although the room small it was adequate for our needs as we didn't spend to much time in our room, the TV was small and the only english channels were the news, the air con was a bit hit and miss in our room although not needed some nights, also there is no hair dryer in the bathroom so you have to rent one from reception (you have to leave a 20 euro deposit) The rooms were cleaned every day but the bedding wasn't changed and unfortunately for my friend there was some sort of stain on the top sheet that looked like blood to us, that was the only thing we could fault with the maids, the rest of the hotel and grounds were very clean. Our room was over looking the front two pools so we got a nice sunny balcony but some rooms balconys were facing walls so I don't think that would be a nice experience if you would be unfortunate enough to get one of those rooms. There were plenty of sunbeds round all the pools none of the getting up at dawn to put towels on them. The pools were clean and we'll maintained just really cold, even the jacuzzi was cold (when it was working). The food was alright can't really comment on breakfast as we only had it once when we were there, lunch and evening meal were the same really fish meat veg pasta bread there seemed to be more choice when we first arrived to the last few days we were there so we decided to eat out at a restaurant across the road from the hotel. Also with the food not much of its labeld so you have to guess. The entertainment was more for the children playing the same songs every night kids dancing on stage, although the animation team did try the best it did get a bit boring and samey after a few days. All the drinks were served in small plastic cups until about 20:00 and you were only aloud to get one drink per person per time, I don't really see why when it's all inclusive. The area it's self I'd a bit of a ghost town with a few shops and restaurants and that's it, it's a short 5 minute walk to a beach to rent a sunbed it's 8 euro a day and if your brave enough to go swimming in the sea be careful as there is a lot of rocks and pebbles as you walk in to the sea. We also heard people saying be careful of jellyfish but we didn't see any. To get to San Antonio you can get a bus that takes about 15-20 minutes and is only 1.65. Although we enjoyed our holiday I don't think we would stay here again as it was too quite and out of the way. And having to spend extra money on eating out as the food wasn't too good and too go out. I think this is more for families more than young people.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank hannahj93
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel is classed as a 3 star and this fits just perfectly. It isn't luxury, but perfectly adequate for a holiday. I spent 10 days there and had a wonderful time. Various previous comments left me a little dubious, but I was thrilled by it. The resort is spotless, the grounds immaculate and all the staff very friendly and accommodating. The rooms aren't huge, but as it is a holiday I never spend much time in my room so this was of no matter.It was always kept clean and had air conditioning - didn't need it all holiday but a couple of nights were incredibly humid so it was most welcome. The bar staff are great, worked very hard and from what I could see with little thanks. The complaints about the all inclusive offering - what do we expect! The hotel is a business after all, how can we expect them to serve premium liqour brands 24/7!? I think it is a good idea to serve drinks in plastic glasses until 9pm. Most of the time they were taken outside and I would much rather deal with a plastic glass than shards of broken glass around the pools and grounds, there are children holidaying as well and I'm sure this reassured their parents. The restaurant staff were treasures. The food was excellent, always 2 fish dishes and 3 meat dishes ( 1 of each cooked fresh on the griddle each lunch and dinner) , a paella dish, loads of salads, fruit, vegetables, potatoes and 2 types of pasta and mounds of bread. Maybe vegetarians had to put up with less than imaginative options, but I think this is a common issue in All Inclusive hotels with so many different nationalities to cater for ( I counted 10 and this was at the end of the season). I left on the Sunday as the hotel was closing on the Tuesday, so the food options were understandably being limited a little more than at the beginning. After all, it would have to be thrown away & this would all be lost revenue for the hotel, not to mention a shocking waste, but maybe I'm looking at this through the eyes of a caterer. I was never short of a choice & had to be very strict with myself at times to not overdo it
The hotel itself sits a short walk or bus ride outside San Antonio and there are coastal paths to get you to both San Antonio and Cala Bassa, both of which have a variety of activities. The local beach of Port d'es Torrent had a few bars/ restaurants on it and although I never went, other holidaymakers said they were great.
As I went at the end of the season, the resort and hotel were clearly a lot quieter than in high season. I found the hotel very relaxing and peaceful, but not sure how it would feel in the summer months, possibly not as roomy. There are after all 410 rooms here so if it were full, that equates to a lot of people! Special mentions to all the housekeeping and restaurant staff and to Chico, Manuel and Cesar at the bar and Jose at reception - gems.
Only issue - calling 3 pieces of outdated equipment tucked away at the back of the Zona Deportiva a "gymnasium" is a bit of a stretch and the sauna wasn't working, but who needs a sauna when you have sunshine!

Room Tip: If looking for peace and quiet at night, rooms facing the Zona Deportiva are furthest away from the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JanetT1958
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here with family on the 9th oct. On arrival we were very pleased with the look of the hotel and how clean it was.We were checked in very quickly by very welcoming staff.When we got to the rooms we were quite surprised, they were not as small as we were expecting.The pool area is lovelly it is huge plenty of sun loungers to choose from.The food was not great there was plenty of salad. the soup was good.nice bread but not a great choice of anything else,the food was not very warm either, the snack bar was better.The entertainment is just what any other all inclusive hotel has, the entertainment staff really do try there very best.We did not realise when we booked that the hotel was closing for the season on our last day. We had a really nice time here some things could have been better but we would definitely return give it a try

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank k15scotland
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for a week all inc on the 7th October. I was rather surprised when I arrived at the hotel as the photos I saw before didn't give the hotel any justice, it was so much nicer than I expected. When we first got there only one of our rooms were ready, we went and had a look at the room and it was one overlooking another balcony(which was crap) so we went back to reception and they moved us to a room over-looking the pool which was much better. Only fault with the rooms was there could of been a fridge in there and a hairdryer. Also the room walls were ridiculously thin and you could hear your neighbours word for word, after a few days we got used too this. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful!
The food was pretty basic but still very nice, towards the end of the week we started too get a bit bored, although there was always a choice of meat selection but was rarely any vegetables too go with it.
Hotel entertainment was a little rubbish and cheesy and suited children more than adults.
The pool areas were very nice and looked a lot better in person than on photos, nice sun beds not those horrible uncomfortable plastic ones, and never had to fight for a sun bed, plenty free.

The location of the hotel was the only fault, as we constantly had too get busses or taxes into san antionio bay every night. 5 minute walk from the beach too which was very nice.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again for a cheap last minute deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach/pool view otherwise you get stuck in a room facing another balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amy S
Immingham, North East Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I booked this at the last minute and got an excellent deal. The hotel was lovely, clean, fresh and inviting. Staff could not do enough for you and were very friendly and helpful at all times. Food was excellent, could not have asked for more, my husband especially enjoyed the desserts! There was so much choice and all food was cooked well, yes on odd occasions there were some bits that could of been warmer but overall you could not fault the service. Room was cleaned each day and was lovely, my only comment would be about the beds, you could do with proper beds instead of camp style, although the mattresses were good and we both slept well. We had booked for a quiet and relaxing holiday and that is what we got it was wonderful, would go again anytime, would try one of their other hotels elsewhere as they have been highly recommended as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kay S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend for 10 nights from 2nd October. After reading reviews on here I was a bit skeptical and wasn't sure what to expect upon arrival as the reviews had a lot of negatives. However I was actually pleasantly surprised... At least for the first part of our stay. The hotel was pretty busy and buzzing at the start of our holiday but towards the end it turned into a bit of a ghost town. First of all the food which had actually been pretty good, lots of choice, fresh salad, always a pasta dish and paella incase you didn't fancy what was being served that day. Which to be honest 9/10 times it was something rather questionable. There was always something new to try. 1 evening they had some sort of curried snails. I drew the line at that. However halfway through our stay they closed half the restaurant and the food choices became pretty limited to the same old stuff that had already been served previously in the week. This is understandable at this time of year I guess but we did in the end decide to dine out (lovely restaurant over the road. Really amazing fresh food and amazing prices) rather than dine within the hotel. Also the restaurant food would of been pretty nice if it was actually warm. By the time we got sat down the food was cold and I wasn't prepared to eat it. Restaurant staff were lovely though. Always a smile on thier faces and plates rarely stayed on your table for longer than a couple of minutes when you'd finished. Snacks - Snacks served through the day were of a pretty bad standard. The hotdogs were the only thing I would eat but I think that's only cause hotdogs are pretty terrible in the first place. The bar - The bar staff were pretty good and always knew who was next in line. The ques wasn't too long this time of year but in the middle of summer I guess they would be pretty bad. We was getting 2 drinks each visit but abut 3 days in they stopped us doing that. I don't see the problem with it being all inclusive and it would mean queuing less but they limit it to one drink per visit. The entertainment - for the most part it was pretty bad. But a couple of nights were actually pretty good. Birds of prey, tropical bird show and flamenco dance nights where all pretty good but these were acts. The animation team on nights with no acts was pretty unbearable. But they do try there best and the comedy night was pretty good. Rooms - I should of probably started with rooms but ohh well. Our room was pretty okay. We had a room facing the two main pools with a spacious balcony due to it being on a corner. Had 4 beds in it despite us being a party of 2. Would of been nice if the spare beds could of been stored away as where wasn't much floor space in the room. The bedlinen is awful. Very dated. Mine was worn and had some sort of stain that looked like spots of blood on it. Also the TV is pretty small. Only news channels in English but when you're on holiday you should make your own entertainment really. The Aircon in our room was pretty temperamental and only seemed to work when it wanted too. The room was cleaned to a high standard. The maids are an asset to the hotel. Always polite and cleaned the rooms every day. Even if we stayed in bed pretty late they would always come back and clean the room in the afternoon. One of them even went as far as lining our shoes up neatly as we're both pretty untidy when getting ready ect. Bathrooms were a good standard. However no hairdryers. Have to take 20 euros to reception if you want to loan one and have to take it back after use. Overall I would rate this hotel about 6/10. For the money it is really good value. However I wouldn't stay at this hotel on an all inclusive basis again. It would make a good base away from San Antonio if you were willing to bus or taxi Into San Antonio every day. It was only 7 euro to a more lively area in a taxi or 1.65 into San Antonio on the bus. This hotel suits familys and older people more than young party people so I think a hotel closer to the action would be better. I regret booking this hotel as the area is pretty much a ghost town. The beach is 10 minutes away but it's pretty small and full of sun loungers that cost 8 euro a day.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza
Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza
#2 of 35 in Playa d'en Bossa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,907 reviews

Been to Occidental Ibiza? Share your experiences!