“Nice hotel, Great location, disappointing food”

Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed here for five days in November (Sun-Fri). We wanted a quiet place where we could relax, unwind and enjoy their facilities such as the heated pool and spa and indulge in a few massage therapies etc. And also be in the right spot to go on walking tours etc. We were disappointed to learn that you could only have massage treatments at the weekends at this time of year. It was nowhere on their website and it was one of the reasons why we wanted to stay there. On the Sunday night the pool was beautifully heated but during the week it was much colder and so was the water in the jacuzzi, so it seemed they only heated the water at the weekends too. You could still use the sauna but none of the other steam rooms were switched on.
The hotel is lovely, the rooms are nice. We had a big but squeaky (even just to sit on!) four poster bed and the room had amazing views. Always cleaned and left tidy. The reception staff were nice, but the waiting staff seemed like they had too much to do by themselves. I also saw one of the waiters take a chip from the platter on the self service buffet and eat it, as he was preparing the area for lunch. That was a bit unprofessional.
If you have a hire car, which is recommended because you are in the middle of nowhere, I would, as we did, go into the town below to eat. The buffet breakfast is adequate, although one self-service coffee machine to serve sometimes 50 people having breakfast was ridiculous. For lunch or dinner, eat out! The restaurants in the town are cheaper and I think better quality food, as it is cooked to order rather than left to sit on a buffet counter. Also, they are more authentically Spanish compared to the nondescript hotel dining hall. The hotel buffet meals were vastly overpriced too, at 22 euros a head not including drinks for food that was not great quality. You really only need to book bed and breakfast accommodation here.
We also did a walking tour with a company called free motion, which was excellent and a great day out. They picked us up from the hotel, too.
Overall, we enjoyed the stay, liked the hotel, loved the location but found the lunch and dinner quality to be poor and the limited availability and use of the spa facilities a bit disappointing.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a four poster bed if you want a bit of romance!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NatJ_12

Reviewed December 19, 2011

We cant understand the reviews as we found no problem with the staff, they all greeted us with a smile and a cheery hallo. They are all so hardworking too. Having read the reviews about hotel food, we ate in the town's 2 restaurants in the evening and absolutely hated the food, portions were so overcooked and small, with not a vegetable in sight apart from fries. And both meals cost over 35E for 2 with only main course and wine. On the last night we ate in the hotel restaurant and really it was a bargain. We wished we had eaten there all the time. There was lots and lots of choice, all fresh and loads of fresh vegetables, all freshly prepared. You could tell that the salad was freshly made. Really the food was good and being a buffet you could go back for more and more and more!
Bed linen was crisp cotton and beds so comfortable. We stayed for 6 nights and yes we really liked it!
We also befriended the stray long haired black cat who lives at the back of the hotel and is a complete charmer. hopefully he will find some more friendly humans!
We stayed in 218, it does have a balcony but is near to ground level at the rear.
The hotel pool was lovely and warm, but perhaps the tidal line around the water edge could do with a clean!
Wifi was free and available in the main parts of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yankiedoodledoo
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Other than the lovely lady on reception, I've never met so many unhelpful and miserable staff in one place my life. We were a group of 25 staying for 2 nights only and Individually we all had complaints about the service, one highly experienced chef who was travelling with us was told that she didn't know what she was talking about when she said that the fish she was served was off. As i said, other than the lady on reception none of the other staff we encountered had any understanding of customer service, it was if they were doing us a favour letting us stay there. Other complaints.....telly didn't work in the room, bathrooms too small, food dreadful, bar closes at 11pm and when we were trying to do some printing at reception we were warned to do it quickly because when the boss gets back he will go mad if he sees us printing. On a positive note the pool terrace is quite nice. Please note I have never had to write a bad review of a place before despite working in an industry where I am constantly travelling and staying in different places. If you have to stay in this town try the rural hotel down in the village its great.

Room Tip: I think the first floor would be the best choice.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank offie1
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Beautiful hotel. Location in the middle of the island - perfect. Beautiful rooms, views, nice facilities. I recommend to all my friends, because it is one of the best hotels on the island.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lukhino
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Arrived at hotel, very impressed by the view, the opulence of the fittings, lovely place. Won 5 days here on Ebay, so no complaints about the price. We stayed in room 211, lovely room but no balcony. Noise from reception, directly above us, quite disturbing. Wooden chair scraping repeatedly along floor, stilettos clicking at 03h30 not the best start. Had dinner first night and breakfast next morning in the hotel restaurant. Didn't eat there again, absolutely awful. The "chef" used the heated trays to full lazy advantage. Dozens of fried eggs plus everything else cooked at 07h30 still being heated in uncovered metal trays at 09h30, baked beans had a thick skin on them by this time. Even food that wasn't cooked was poor, slices of cheese and ham drying up and curling up at the edges. Poor choice of fruit and juices, the whole food experience cheap & shabby. Took a quick look in the kitchen (no-one noticed) not clean, floor dirty, stainless steelware grubby & un-wiped. We just couldn't understand why the company had spent so very much money on the fabric of the building and then allowed the food to be so poor, so simple to remedy! Get rid of the lazy cooks, heated breakfast trays, get competent staff in the kitchens and this hotel could be truly spectacular.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Esenjay
Reviewed February 26, 2011

The hotel itself has a beautiful location and is an excellent place for those who love the open spaces, the walks and what the mountains have to offer. However, the service we experienced when we stayed here during the February half term was poor, particularly as there appeared to be skeleton staff on hand.

The food for breakfast and in the evening is the worst I have ever come across in a hotel (of any star rating and for a four star, I feel this was of a poor standard and quality). Although there was a cooked breakfast on offer, I found myself having only tea and juice (which was of a thickly sweet consistency & had to be diluted with water) for breakfast and a toasted cheese sandwich - when I could locate fresh bread!! I am a lover of fruit and herb teas and the choice and selection was impressive.

They had the nerve to charge 22 Euros for the 'evening buffet', with even more poor quality food, but for a 10-15 minutes walk down the road a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine for 3 of us cost 80 Euros.

We had flown out to celebrate the birthday of a friend and there was approximately 120 of us in staying for the week. The hotel manager must have realised there was dissatisafaction with the food as we boycotted the restaurant (on mass) by Thursday evening and had asked what could be done to 'put things right'. For me and many of our group it was too late!

The room was satisfactory and the hotel location itself is quiet, with spectacular views. However the cleaning of the room on a daily basis is basic. Upon arrival, our bed actually had a couple of fine cobwebs on the bedstead, which then made me (unfortunately) begin to inspect the rest of the room, where I found some dust on the dresser. The bathroom was better and had a good shower (although no bath).

Although a pleasant enough hotel and well located I would not return and cannot recommend this hotel. (I felt relieved we had only booked for one week)!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray1959
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I stayed here for a walking / car touring holiday wanting to be based in a rural location. The location is good (high up, quiet, views, village in easy walking distance if you don't mind hills), though for touring I found myself repeating the winding journey to Tejeda or Cruz de Tejeda quite often to get to the interesting northern part of the island. Rooms are reasonably-sized and comfortable with good beds, and kept spotlessly clean; a few things were missing that were surprising in a hotel in this price range, e.g. no plug for the washbasin, patio table provided but no chairs (only sun loungers), no way provided of securing the patio doors part-open for ventilation at night (though a hiking pole does this admirably); the cabinets etc though functional were fairly crude. On the positive side the room had a small fridge and powerful shower, though no bath. Breakfast was good in my view (I only ever eat cooked breakfast) but dinner options less so: only a buffet was available (for 21 euros) despite an a-la-carte option being advertised, and apart from two nights I walked into Tunte or drove to Santa Lucia. The hotel has spa and sports facilities and I think probably a disproportionate amount of the price goes towards these; I've certainly stayed in better 4* establishments in comparable locations for much less money. I've recommended it, but with reservations.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Marina Suites
Marina Suites
#2 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort

Been to Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas? Share your experiences!