“Camping Villanova”
Review of Vilanova Park

Vilanova Park
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was the best campsite we stayed at in terms of facilities. Excellent, the cleaning staff were always there cleaning the shower blocks, I twice saw a security guard strolling the grounds checking the tent pitches each evening. We stayed for 3 nights in a plus pitch which means you have access to water on site. We did not really use that. We were quite closely situated to the shower block which were well designed.

Both pools are amazing, and the fountain displayed at night near the entertainment area is a lovely feature. There is a lot of music entertainment, I saw dance lessons etc. It is a great campsite for families I can see why Alan Rogers camping booked mentioned it won their award.

Staff are definitely very efficient, all my emails were answered promptly. You recieve a little welcome pack when you arrive with maps of the campsite and a staff member takes you to your pitch. The campsite is huge but it doesn't feel huge. We were located in section D. The restaurant was great! We had already been to Paris, Toulouse and Lourdes but when we arrived we really felt the friendly, holiday fun park atmosphere.

The wifi here was terrible an unreliable at times and wouldn't work. I paid for 5 hours internet time that I could not use especially we our tent was in area D. Sometimes the connection was available and sometimes it wasn't. The lady in the souvenir shop said it would work all over the park. It didn't. You get an hour of free internet if you have a meal at the restaurant. The bar area is airconditioned and as a large tv screen for sports, Barcelona was playing Madrid so that was a very popular match that evening. The only other negative is just that it is a bit far away to get to Barcelona. We had to get two buses as the train was not running. We really liked staying here, it was the most expensive campsite we stayed at, but we would pay that again. Great experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Charzi_11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in Vilanova Park for 2 weeks in August - two adults & 3 children (6, 8 & 15) and it was a great success! Flew into Barcelona, hired a car & Satnav brought us to the door of the campsite. We have stayed in mobile homes in France before but this was our first time on a campsite in Spain (especially one this big) - however we were very impressed - by the immaculate mobile home, the spotless campsite, the layout and facilities on site etc etc The supermarket had a good selection and was not the usual overpriced set-up, the entertainment for adults and children was varied and well organised, the pool areas were not too crowded (despite it being August), the sports facilities were fantastic, security was really good and everyone had a great time! All the children were crying on the last night as they did not want to go home, especially our 15 year old who met other teenagers from France, Spain, Holland, Germany, Ireland and England - after the entertainment finished at midnight they congregated for a while at the main reception (beside security) - a perceived experience of freedom but in reality a safe, controlled environment. A minor criticism would be that the restaurants were quite limited in their menus so unless you hired a car you could exhaust the choice quite quickly. We eat there a few times, cooked on the barbeque provided a few times and visited Barcelona & Sitges at other times. Driving was very straight forward, and for us would be a definite plus on holiday to see a little of the local area. Vilanova i la Getru is not much of a town, but we visited the beach often (which was lovely) and stocked up once from the big supermarket. The weather was lovely, sunny every day, and we really felt we relaxed and chilled out, whilst still managing to see a few sights. The obligatory visit to Port Adventura was a great, if expensive day, and the Aquarium in Barcelona was enjoyed by all. Since we've returned there have been many sighs of "I miss Spain" and enquires as to when we will be going back - the decision has been made to return next year! I still have a lingering memory of sipping Sangria at the Terrace Bar by candlelight (at the top of the small hill on the campsite with the moon shining on the sea in the distance), listening to a live jazz band with my husband and the two younger children, happy in the knowledge that my 15 year old is safely bopping away at the disco beside the other pool complex at the other end of the campsite with a smile on her face....now thats hard to beat!

Room Tip: We had a mobile home with Air Conditioning and Decking - this makes a massive difference to the qual...
12  Thank ForgetMeNot99
Reviewed September 12, 2011

fantastic park we loved it! we are a young family with 2 young boys this was our 1st time holidaying on our own as we normally go with family and we had a brill time we stayed with Thomson Alfresco in a Rossini luxe. The mobile was spotless and the perfect size 4 us. The campsite is large but it still feels safe, the Thomson vans are ideally located close to all amineities which was perfect for us. the supermarket is well stocked and the pools are well kept and clean the only downside to the pool is if u like a lounger then get to the pool early as there arent many We tried both pools on the site and had the same problem but did find if you went later on the afternoon you could get a lounger.. The thomson reps Vic and Bren are wonderful really helpful and easy to talk to my 2 young sons loved them, they really do look after u. while we were there the wood yard next to the camp had a fire and we were put on evacuation alert but vic and Bren made you feel safe and reasured you. They have a fab knowledge of the towns and local area. We visited a few places on their say so and had some fantastic days out and created some very fond memories, Sitges Tarragona cunnit and Vilanova town are some lovely places to visit and they have some lovely beaches. I really would recommend this campsite and we will definately be going back at some point because there was still lots to see and do that we didnt have time to. I would also highly recommend Thomson Alfresco.

1  Thank BirminghamPeeps
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Our extended family (8 in two homes) have just returned from a two week break (ending 2nd September) to Villanova Park, in Eurocamp accommodation. The site was ok, the entertainment was very good some nights and some nights not so good. I particularly liked the Salsa lessons, Aqua aerobics and the ‘This is it Michael Jackson tribute band’ which were fantastic. The entertainment team were good at their job's, but were not over friendly one member of the entertainment team did help provide some music for us, but never spoke to us again.

There were never enough seats for people in the evening, so you had to sit there for hours just to get a seat.

I was not impressed with the location of this place, I looked at these reviews before going and never saw anything negative.

However, the Eurocamp aspect of the holiday had several annoyances. I must say I was most unhappy with the Eurocamp altogether...
1. I was told it was easy to get my own transport to the park but we found it was not so. It took us a lot of extra time trying to find the way. If we had been given details about a bus that takes us from the station to the Villanova Park, we would have saved time.
2. When we finally got to the park after travelling through the night, were we greeted with a not very helpful main reception staff, who took ages to check us in as there was a massive queue After a lengthy period of time we were finally checked in only to have to wait in the blazing sun for another lengthy period of time to be taken to the Eurocamp reception. Where you guessed it, we had to wait again for the rep to be phoned up to show us to our accommodation (thank goodness it was Peter who greeted us with a cheery and welcoming attitude, because we were tired hot and starving, our patience at this point was wearing thin, had it been Bill and Marion goodness knows what would have happened). The checking in process was very badly organised.
3. Ideally there should be a ‘Meet and greet’ introduction service. Where a short verbal chat to new visitors could be done at set times each day.
4. I had to argue about not having additional insurance applied.
5. The accommodation was very small even though we paid extra to have more room.
6. There was no T.V. no basin in the toilet which I feel is a health and safety issue (cross contamination on door handles), also there had been tin foil placed under the bbq and grill which is another health and safety issue ( this can catch fire with hot fat).
7. An additional high charge of £10 euro's for bed linen for each bed meaning we had to take our own. Normally provided in main cost.
8. It was very dirty/dusty under the main bed.
9. No supply of oven gloves
10. Insufficient pillows (they were provided when asked) I feel they could have left some spare because they were very thin.
11. There were extra chairs but we were not told about this.
12. The red folder inside the mobile home which was inaccurate (out of date). We left a separate list of recommended changes.
13. We were constantly given incorrect information from Marian (one of the Eurocamp reps), which was quite annoying, resulting in us spending far more money than needed One example, when my daughter was ill, Marian told us to get a taxi to the hospital, when we could have used a bus. Actually, the reps had a car and could have offered to take us to the hospital (as my husband had to carry our ill 15 year old the ten Min walk to the main reception to arrange a taxi costing us 12 Euros, only to later find out we could have got the bus directly there.
14. When I asked for more pillows and mentioned about the expensive restaurant Marion used an interrogation technique that made me feel as though I could not tell her any other problems. Not helpful, not friendly, not approachable.
15. We were badly affected by mosquito bites which meant we could hardly sit outside on the veranda. When mentioned to Marion she said ‘oh yeah those mobile homes at the bottom are worst effected’. I thought thanks if we had been warned we could have taken precautions.
16. The Eurocamp office was only open for 30mins 9.30-10 and 5-6 in the evening.
17. There were no complimentary basic supplies left in accommodation.
18. There was another, much better rep called Peter, who covered when Bill and Marion were not there. He was more hospitable and made an effort to speak to us, asking more than once if we were ok. It would have made a world of difference if he was our full time rep. Peter also came out immediately one late evening to change our gas cylinder.
I did enjoy my holiday mainly because of the site but many annoyances with the accommodation and main reps could have easily been avoided they could have been bothered to do their jobs. I felt they were just there to have a holiday themselves.

I will not use Eurocamp again, or return to Vilanova at all, I feel as though I have been ripped off at every turn for an already expensive location.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

we stayed with lifestyle holidays karen an dave excellent reps. mobile are in a good location near pools and not to far from supermarket, have microwave and are very clean you can rent a barbeque and highchairs (1euro a day), prams and tv etc. they also let you have excess to cleaning products and hoover if needed.

site is very clean and very large the bunglows on site look really nice the pictures on their website dont do justice. quite alot of hills hard work with prams. pools are noway big enough for the amount of people at this site in high season, theres not alot of swiming at times of day as there is that many just standing in pool, bit dangerous for kids. i think they would need some slides. it looked like they open to public r the public just come in, i could be wrong!!

This site is catered alot to teenagers, ive never seen as many in my life bus loads daily some very loud and rude, at night hundreds would gather and get togather!!! we also wer beside a goup of portugese families who shouted at eachother and laughin till 2.30 in morning, they didnt care about the silence rule afer 12. i didnt see any of the security guards that other people have wrote about, i wished i did.

the supermarket is not overpriced and we were happy with the selection of food although might get a bit repetive if there more than a week. there never was a long qeue of people for example for bread even though there is alot of people at this site.

resturant is very poor and is over priced, no kids menu they pay full price, not a lot to choose from. frozen pizza and half cooked food and 100 euros for the pleasure of it!!

The bus to vilanova town is fine, and takes at least 20 min the beach is lovely, but not much else in the town, dont go before 8pm as no were is open, i was looking forward to seeing this spanish town but was disappointed.

The entertainment was just ok if you could get a seat , again no where near enough seating for the amount of people at this site, would be good if there was somewer else in walking distance and if they cater some things for kids example mini golf, bouncy castles etc would be good to have a choice.

Almost forgot about the cats at this site are everywhere and if you dont like cats tis is not the place to go they can be quite aggressive!

A TripAdvisor Member
Derby
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Where to start..... First thing these are not luxury homes as advertised, they are the most basic and small caravan I have ever stayed in. No where near enough room for six. Absolute con for the money paid and accomodation revceived. Secondly the extra charges, there is a £70 / 100 euro deposit required for cleaning which you get back at the end of the stay if the home is clean????? these things are clenaed for the next people anyway, absolute con. there is a 10 euro per night charge for air con, these are supposed to be luxury homes for gods sake???? lastly the position of the eite is awful, Vilanova IS NOT a holiday resort, it is a dirty commercial town that does not cater for toursits. In fairness the site itself is fine but not great. Overall very very disapointed and am still awaiting a response from Al fresco. AVOID

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Thomson Al Fresco
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and my two children, ages 11 and 14, stayed with Thomson Al Fresco for a fortnight in August 2011 at Vilanova Park. We usually go for quiet, relaxing and pretty places to stay, but although this was none of that, we were not disappointed. The kids were totally entertained at all times. Sports courts, football tournaments, tennis courts, table tennis, swimming, to name but a few. Evening entertainment started at 6pm and finished at 12 midnight. There was a good variety for everyone. Sitting outside enjoying a beer on a balmy August night whilst the kids enjoyed themselves made for a very easy holiday. If all you really want to do is stay on site, which you certainly could do easily, and you don't want to hire a car, which we didn't on this occasion, and maybe visit Barcelona, then I would thoroughly recommend this site. We have stayed with Eurocamp and Key Camp on several occasions at a variety of sites and this was definitely the best site we have ever stayed on, although not the best location. It was our first stay with Thomsons in a Rossini Luxe caravan. Air con was definitely a plus and I don't know what we would have done without it. Thomson reps were second to none also. Bren and Vic were a real credit to Thomsons.

The local town of Vilanova i la Geltru was quite industrial and the only plus was the beaches which were very clean and ran for miles. A very simple to use shuttle bus ran between the beaches and the site.

Bus route into Barcelona from just outside the site was really easy. We were really wary about going into Barcelona because of what we had heard about pick pockets but I think as long as you take sensible precautions it is no more unsafe than any British city.

Weather was between 25 and 30 degrees at all times which was just "perfect". The only down side to this was the mosquitos, not sure if this was because of all the trees, which seemed to bother us in the evenings, I would definitely go prepared another time, but I wouldn't let it put me off.

If I were to nitpick I would say that the restaurant could do better. It is in an absolutely beautiful setting and the staff were all really friendly and helpful, however the food was pretty bland and unimaginative. Pizzas were probably the best thing. But we like to self cater anyway and enjoy nothing more than sitting on our decking of a night eating a late tea and drinking a bottle of wine.

I always read the reviews on this website and am always surprised at how they vary. Having never done this before I have tried to give as accurate an account of how we saw Vilanova in August as a family of four, as I could.

Room Tip: Rossini Luxe had decking and a canopy over it, which was great for cover from the mid-day sun. Very...
4  Thank NewarkRileys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilanova i la Geltru
2 mi away
#29 of 40 in Sitges
Gatell Hotel
Gatell Hotel
#6 of 6 in Vilanova i la Geltru

Been to Vilanova Park? Share your experiences!