“Comfortable, great atmosphere”

Hosteria-PapaGayo South
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Nice rooms, very pleasant dining area overlooking a neat courtyard. A great place to relax between tours of the area. The other travellers also seem to enjoy the place.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Assa_10

Reviewed October 9, 2010

Very helpful team. Nice food. Beautiful area. Very convenient as a base for Cotopaxy trips.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I got to Papagayo trow a company in Quito called guliver´s to do some day tours to Cotopaxi, Quilotoa and horses, the first day I got there after the Cotopaxi tour i was welcomed by the workers and was treated well, I slept in the dorm that was really cozy and with a good price, the room was cleaned (every day) and worm dooring the night. Papagayo has a grate restaurant with good food in good prices, a nice lounge and TV, free Internet and a grate jacuzzi, rally the best place to come and relax.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank max051948
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I think perhaps standards have slipped with popularity. The rooms outside the main building were freezing and we were refused a heater even though we could see one sitting in the hall! Other people who did more of the guided day trips complained of poor equipment for tackling Cotopaxi and un helpful guides. When we did the walk to the glacier followed by mountain biking down, there were not enough bikes for everyone. By the third night about a third of the menu was unavailable - the hostel is only 45 mins from Quito! And it was a very limited menu if you did not eat meat. The general management of the place was chaotic to put it mildly. For example (and there are many!) when trying to find out when the kitchen was open for lunch we got about 3 different answers. The main manager when we were there, was more likely to watching the TV in the (very small) communal area than running the place. And you felt like dealing with clients was a bit of an inconvenience to him. This COULD be a lovely place to stay - the building is nice but needs a bit of updating.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank webberanne1
Reviewed September 20, 2010

My stay in Papagayo this year, was a time I will always remember.
I just booked it over Gulliver in Quito and it turned out, that it was an excellent decision.
In the beginning I wanted to stay for one night, but there are so many possiblities for different tours, so I made a lot of them and stayed for 2 more nights.

I really want to mention, that the staff was really friendly and helped me a lot with all my questions and their information. They were also really interested and it was nice to talk to them. There were many other travellers and it was amazing to sit in den welcome area and speaking with them. They recommended the tours of Gulliver to me, so I decided to stay longer and I really enjoyed the living with the animals, the amazing and delicious food and of course, the jacuzzi, too.

All together I really recommend this place, it has an amazing view to the vulcanos and a beautiful landscape. If I will ever be in Ecuador again, I will def. go there again :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schinken156
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I booked the stay in Papagayo as an addition to a tour to the Cotopaxi I did with Gulliver Expeditions, which is a tour operator located in Quito. They collaborate in their tours and services..
Actually I just wanted to stay for one night to continue the next morning, but I stayed for two more nights!
The team of the hotel was really nice, they helped me with everything, were interested in my journey and also had time for a chat. In the evening many travellers from all over the world come together, share their experiences and plans. We did this either in the restaurant (really tasty food and good prices) or in the cozy entrance area.. There you can sip a glass of wine or a bottle of beer, watch international television or play cards in front of a chimney.. They also have free Wi-Fi and a PC for those who travel without laptop. After an exhausting (but great!!) tour I relaxed in the hot Jacuzzi :)
What else is there to say? The whole place is decorated lovingly, it makes you feel at home. You can forget the noise of Quito even though it is only an hour ride until you get there. The Hosteria is surrounded by high volcanoes and an impressive countryside. So a friend I met there and I hired bikes to explore the region on our own. On my last day I went on a horseback ride, which was really great! I had a funny guide and the horses were in good condition, so don’t be afraid of riding, you don’t have to pity the animals there!
All in all, I had a really nice stay, I met interesting people and would have stayed longer if I didn’t had a tight schedule for my journey!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank WorldTraveller_7788
Reviewed July 27, 2010

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank WorldTraveller_7788
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machachi
Hotel Cuello de Luna
#6 of 12 in Machachi
Hacienda El Sinche
Hacienda El Sinche
#7 of 12 in Machachi

Been to Hosteria-PapaGayo South? Share your experiences!