“The best place to stay in the avenue of volcanoes, grate service and grate atmosphere!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hosteria-PapaGayo South

Hosteria-PapaGayo South
Vilcabamba, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

I got to Papagayo trow a company in Quito called guliver´s to do some day tours to Cotopaxi, Quilotoa and horses, the first day I got there after the Cotopaxi tour i was welcomed by the workers and was treated well, I slept in the dorm that was really cozy and with a good price, the room was cleaned (every day) and worm dooring the night. Papagayo has a grate restaurant with good food in good prices, a nice lounge and TV, free Internet and a grate jacuzzi, rally the best place to come and relax.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank max051948

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

I think perhaps standards have slipped with popularity. The rooms outside the main building were freezing and we were refused a heater even though we could see one sitting in the hall! Other people who did more of the guided day trips complained of poor equipment for tackling Cotopaxi and un helpful guides. When we did the walk to the glacier followed by mountain biking down, there were not enough bikes for everyone. By the third night about a third of the menu was unavailable - the hostel is only 45 mins from Quito! And it was a very limited menu if you did not eat meat. The general management of the place was chaotic to put it mildly. For example (and there are many!) when trying to find out when the kitchen was open for lunch we got about 3 different answers. The main manager when we were there, was more likely to watching the TV in the (very small) communal area than running the place. And you felt like dealing with clients was a bit of an inconvenience to him. This COULD be a lovely place to stay - the building is nice but needs a bit of updating.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank webberanne1
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

My stay in Papagayo this year, was a time I will always remember.
I just booked it over Gulliver in Quito and it turned out, that it was an excellent decision.
In the beginning I wanted to stay for one night, but there are so many possiblities for different tours, so I made a lot of them and stayed for 2 more nights.

I really want to mention, that the staff was really friendly and helped me a lot with all my questions and their information. They were also really interested and it was nice to talk to them. There were many other travellers and it was amazing to sit in den welcome area and speaking with them. They recommended the tours of Gulliver to me, so I decided to stay longer and I really enjoyed the living with the animals, the amazing and delicious food and of course, the jacuzzi, too.

All together I really recommend this place, it has an amazing view to the vulcanos and a beautiful landscape. If I will ever be in Ecuador again, I will def. go there again :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank schinken156
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

I booked the stay in Papagayo as an addition to a tour to the Cotopaxi I did with Gulliver Expeditions, which is a tour operator located in Quito. They collaborate in their tours and services..
Actually I just wanted to stay for one night to continue the next morning, but I stayed for two more nights!
The team of the hotel was really nice, they helped me with everything, were interested in my journey and also had time for a chat. In the evening many travellers from all over the world come together, share their experiences and plans. We did this either in the restaurant (really tasty food and good prices) or in the cozy entrance area.. There you can sip a glass of wine or a bottle of beer, watch international television or play cards in front of a chimney.. They also have free Wi-Fi and a PC for those who travel without laptop. After an exhausting (but great!!) tour I relaxed in the hot Jacuzzi :)
What else is there to say? The whole place is decorated lovingly, it makes you feel at home. You can forget the noise of Quito even though it is only an hour ride until you get there. The Hosteria is surrounded by high volcanoes and an impressive countryside. So a friend I met there and I hired bikes to explore the region on our own. On my last day I went on a horseback ride, which was really great! I had a funny guide and the horses were in good condition, so don’t be afraid of riding, you don’t have to pity the animals there!
All in all, I had a really nice stay, I met interesting people and would have stayed longer if I didn’t had a tight schedule for my journey!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank WorldTraveller_7788
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank WorldTraveller_7788
Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed here after seeing all of the good reviews but I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone. The building looks lovely but the staff and service were terrible.

Our room looked really nice but it was very cold at night. The shower almost scalded me twice when it randomly decided to go super hot! Our towels weren't changed and they didn't provide any soap.

We felt that one particular member of staff kept trying to push a tour to Cotopaxi to us. We told him we were on a tight budget and wanted to just go ourselves but neither he or any of the other member of staff wouldn't advise us how to do this. The tour they offered cost $35 per person, their only suggestion was to take a taxi to the park which would cost $30 each way so we might as well use their tour! We ignored them and caught a Latacunga bound bus for $1 each way to the entrance of the National Park. 4x4 drivers wait here to take people into the park and up to the refuge and to the lake, this cost us $14 each including a tip for our driver! Bargain heard with them at first though! The trip was brilliant, we got to walk on the glacier and spent about 4 hours in the park. When we returned to the hostel and told them what we'd done they were not interested and tried to get us on a tour to climb the volcano!

The staff were very unfriendly and quite rude. I waited 25 minutes for my breakfast omlette this morning! After this wait I asked the staff if they could hurry it along...they just looked at me as if I' had 2 heads! There was no apology and I was still charged the extra 10% for their terrible service.

The price of the room includes use of wifi and internet but this stopped working at 4pm yesterday and still wasn't fixed by 9am today. It also includes use of the jacuzzi but the water was so hot I couldn't sit in it!

I thought we were the only people unhappy with the hostel but other people were complaining too. You'd be better off staying in Latacunga or finding another hostel in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TimReading
Ecuador
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

We stayed at Papagayo for 2 nights. I wouldn't normally write comments on hostels but I had such a terrible experience in this hostel that I felt others would like to know before they decide to stay here.

We have been travelling around Ecuador for 2 weeks now, and decided that visiting Cotopaxi National Park was definitely a must see so we travelled from Banos via Latacunga to this hostel after reading recommendations from this website.

We didn't make any reservations, as this normally isn't a problem in Ecuador and managed to get a double room for $15 each here upon arrival.

After arriving we were really interested about the national park, climbing and hiking options available so tried to speak to the owner about various options. Unfortunately the staff at the hostel are extremely unhelpful to travellers who want to do things on a budget (which at a guess, includes everyone who's been travelling for a while like us!)! They told us the only options were to do a tour with them (via their partner tour company), or spend $60 getting a taxi to the park and back (this didn't include the entry or a car/taxi around the park). They didn't/wouldn't tell us of any cheap options of getting to the park and doing it on our own! We also asked for a map of the park which when we first arrived wasn't a problem, but as soon as we didn't want to go on their tour they couldn't supply one.

We spent the first night working out how we were going to get to the park without spending a fortune; we've never had many problems with doing things on our own before! The tour guide at the hotel kept pushing and pushing his tours with us to the point where we had to courteously tell him to go away. In the end we ended up getting a bus from the Panamericana highway (on the main road from the hostel) for a dollar, which we got to stop at the National Park, then a taxi which cost $14 each, that took us to the glacier, and the lake; plus the $10 entry fee. The same tour cost more than double this at the hostel.

Once we returned from the day trip (which I should add was excellent), we offered the info to the tour guide as an alternative to HIS tours. He was then very rude and obnoxious, not accepting the fact that it could be done. Our service from then on at the hotel was even worse. Very poor food service and ignorant reception staff, including the manager.

I'd come to think this might have been a personal vendetta but there were others in the hostel who were as equally as disappointed as us. I wouldn't recommend this place to any travellers who were thinking of going to Cotopaxi. Many people we have spoken to in the last day or two had stayed in Latacunga and were perfectly happy in their hostels which offered them all the advice they needed to do the sights on a budget.

Sorry for the rant..!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank EnglandMoth
E-Hosteria-PapaGayo, Owner at Hosteria-PapaGayo South, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear Client, we want to thank you for writing this valuable feedback. Every member of our team has read it very carefully and we want you to know that we take it seriously.
It is very important to us to provide professional and quality services to travelers. We want all our visitors to be safe and have a good time on the volcanoes of Ecuador.
Each of our staff is carefully selected but unfortunately it rarely comes to our attentions when they do not follow Papagayo's rules.
We do offer our clients safe,fun and professional day tours but
They definitely can go by their own like you did.
It is not about cheaper or more expensive but different service when you go on organize tour or
go by bus and take a pickup truck at the park entrance.
Again I want to thank you for writing this review and take it to our serious consideration.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machachi
Hacienda Los Mortinos
Hacienda Los Mortinos
#1 of 10 in Machachi
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra del Volcan
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra de...
#1 of 24 in Cotopaxi Province
#8 of 32 in Cotopaxi Province
Casa Sakiwa Hotel
Casa Sakiwa Hotel
#1 of 2 in Machachi

Been to Hosteria-PapaGayo South? Share your experiences!