“nice staff, great food, superb room”

Hosteria-PapaGayo South
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed there last weekend and it was a blast!
On arrival we were offered some coffee and had a nice talk with the staff. The food was great (try some potato soup and the hamburgers! delicious and fresh made), the staff is really friendly and is always in for some talking.
There's living room with a small fireplace and some games, so a great place for enjoying the evening.
We stayed at the Carolina room, a small but a super beautiful room, with hot shower, and two comfy beds. Next to it is the spa for some massages or jacuzzi.
The next day we went on a tour with Gulliver Expeditions to Quilotoa which was amazing. A great guide, a very interesting visit to an indigenous family, tasty almuerzo, and afterwards some hot chocolate and a great chocolate cake at PapaGayo made it a perfect day.

PapaGayo is also a good place for acclimatization, if you plan climbing the surrounding volcanoes. I highly recommend it for spending the night there between tours or just to enjoy some great time!

Room Tip: I only know the "Carolina" which is a super cozy and beautiful room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank becruised

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hosteria Papagoyo in Machachi south of Quito have made a nice effort to preserve cultural aspects of historical haciendas to the benefit of its country and generously share it with us who visit.
Horseback riding tours offered on well cared horses. I will advice that you request a detailed description of the routes they offer, before buying a tour. Not only rely on pictures shown in agency Gulliver of customers riding on the planes of the Andes. Tours normally offered, starts from the hacienda in the valley. Experienced riders seeking adventure might be able to get more out of enroute,but that depends on your negotiation skills

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Karihelen
Reviewed February 18, 2013

During my 5 months trip through Ecuador I spent quite some time in this cozy place. I went there 5 or 6 times, always for 2 or 3 nights. This gave me the chance to try out different rooms there (not all of them though). Some of my experiences:

Emanuel: It was the first room I got and I really liked it, because it is perfect for one person. Like all of the rooms in PapaGayo it has a private bathroom and anough space to put your stuff (and also there is a big mirror in every room). There is no fireplace in the room but an electric heater and enough blankets, so freezing to death is impossible.

Marquesa: It is a nice room... but because of the fact that there's room for 4 people in there, I kinda felt lost. It has a nice view out back from the first floor and although it is right above the restaurant it is really quite.

Mariscal: It's a room on the ground floor with two big beds and it is the closest one to the living room (which I found very convenient). The windows go out back, too, and you can see the terrace from there. I admit that the noise from the living room gets inside pretty unfiltered in the evenings, but in my opinion travelling without earplugs is negligent anyway.

Corona: Absolutely my favorite room. It's right under the roof, has an incredible view, a TV and it is incredibly cozy. I also like the little corridor between the bed- and bathroom. What makes this room special is the atmosphere. Sorry, but I can't describe that :)

Those were the rooms. Now to all the other stuff.

Restaurant: Maybe this sounds weird, but honestly the best food I had in Ecuador was here. For breakfast I always had the choice between a fluffy Pancake with fruit, granola (home made!!) and yoghurt or toast with omelette, jam and fresh fruit juice. Sounds simple, but with that I always had a good start into the day. Lunch and dinner war absolutely delicious. Every time. No matter what I ordered. (But I have to recommend the Burger or Pasta and the Tiramisu... yummy!!)

Service: The staff is lovely. Amazing how they manage to make you feel so incredibly welcome. (But one person more in the team couldn't hurt. Sometimes I felt a little bad for them because they had so much on their plate.) The rooms get cleaned every day, and I think that's great, especially because I hardly ever noticed the nice cleaning lady. The fireplaces get lit up every night during dinner time, so when you come back from dinner, the room is comfortably warm.

Other things: There is internet/WiFi, a free tea/coffee/water station, always fresh flowers everywhere, and also the surrounding area is beautiful. Lush green meadows, horses, lamas, alpakas and cows. Perfect for horseback riding, biking and relaxing walks. The nearest town is called Machachi and it is really easy to get there by bus, if you want to go to a supermarket or something.

All in all, I love the place and I hope I get a chance to go there again some time in the future.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. Choose between rooms with fireplaces or electric heaters and between roo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Eva P
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights / 7 days for the 4 peak trek and the staff and service was amazing. All meals were prepared with love and the staff really went out of there way to ensure you had a unique experience. They had fireplaces in each room with fresh wood each night to warm up the bedrooms. They have a barn area near the hotel with all kinds of animals and you can rent bikes and check out the immediate area. Just beautiful overall and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the area.

4  Thank Tim G
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Papagayo was a wonderful place to stay. It is a special house, full of laughter, history, and magic.
And the food was delicious, the room was clean, the staff was nice, everything is great.
If you like to climb, it will be a good place. They have different tour that you can choice~ bike / horse riding / climbing..... .
And then, if you like the hot spring, you can enjoy in jacuzzi.

5  Thank Yuling C
Reviewed February 2, 2013

While I was checking out climbing services for Cotopaxi I kept coming across this facility and Gulliver Expeditions - reviews seemed mostly positive so I decided to book with them. I arranged a full service package with my days off spent either in Quito or staying around the rural area that the hosteria is located in either exploring on foot or by bike.

The service and quality of stay was far above any normal "climbing expedition". If I had issues along the way with anything - (and I have climbed all over whether in tents, huts, guided, self guided) - I just simply asked the question and got an answer. The "guiding" for the most part is more of arranging transport to and from the peaks, very straight forward route finding (mostly just hiking and not climbing), followed by some assistance on the rock if required. Cotopaxi certainly has more detail - but as in anything - if you want to have attention to your specific needs - one should make sure to hire a single guide and have a 1:1 ratio - that way your expectations will/should be met. Mine certainly were and I am assertive to make sure they are.

Transport to and from anywhere one wanted to go was quickly arranged, the internet worked well (would be nice to have it through out all the buildings). Otherwise, the Hosteria was spotlessly clean, the beds very comfortable and the food tasty. The dogs and other "critters" provide entertainment for the guests. By far the most comfortable "Base Camp" one could have - certainly beats a tent, sleeping bag and snoring tent mate :)

4  Thank Good2GoTravel
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at Papagayo whist doing mountain climbing with Gulliver's Adventures. The Hosteria is generally very good. It's clean, spacious and set in a beautiful area, with plenty of space outside. The staff are also generally very friendly and helpful. It's clean, the rooms are great, the linen is beautiful, and the showers, when hot (which they mostly are) are superb. I'd certainly recommend it as a place to stay.

I've given it an average rating a a base for mountain climbing for independent individuals, but I'd give it a higher rating if considering it just as a hotel. As it's inextricably linked with Gulliver's Adventures I think this is fair.

The average rating is because I have some issues with Papagayo (the list is long, but don't let it put you off, it's mostly just feedback for the management and in particular for those who are climbing):

-It is not possible to make your own tea or coffee or get your own glass of the filtered water, you have to ask for everything. If you are like me and don't like being waited on hand and foot, this is really annoying. For others of course, this is no issue!

-The breakfasts, which are described as 'giant' by Gulliver's, are not giant. They are pretty good for a normal day (for instance a pancake, coffee, and fresh juice, some fruit and granola), but not really enough for a person going to climb a mountain.

-The packed lunches for climbing are not amazing. They consist of a couple of really basic sandwiches, a piece of fruit, bottled water and a Nestle sugary snack. My take on climbing is that it should be an ethical and eco-friendly endeavour. Getting a new, small bottle of water every day is not eco-friendly. Guests should ideally encouraged to fill up their own bottles directly from the filtered water supply, which should be available outside the kitchen! And energy snacks (like oatmeal biscuits) would be a better and more ethical snack than those bought from Nestle (http://tinyurl.com/nestleethics if you are interested).

-Can be a bit disorganised, I often had things missing from my breakfast (like fresh juice) and it felt like an imposition to have to keep asking for things (but perhaps that's just me).

-SPECIFICALLY FOR CLIMBERS: Communication is not always great. For instance, having been asked to be ready to go to Cotapaxi at 10am, we did not leave until 1pm, with no explanation. The guides can be really great or really surly, it seems a bit random. Unlike in Europe, where there would be a briefing, including looking at a map and talking about the mountain, here there is very little, you pretty much get driven to the mountain and start walking. There is also no debriefing and the guides often seem in a great hurry to get home. This was certainly the case on my descent from Cotapaxi, where the guides had very little patience, even with very tired climbers, and even with beautiful views to admire. In retrospect, even on the way up, we went to fast, arriving significantly before Sunrise. That said, the guides I had, appeared to know their stuff and I had no concerns about my safety.

Room Tip: The top room, which I had, is great with good views.
3  Thank Fergka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machachi
Hacienda Los Mortinos
Hacienda Los Mortinos
#1 of 12 in Machachi
Chilcabamba Mountain Lodge
Chilcabamba Mountain Lodge
#2 of 29 in Cotopaxi Province
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra del Volcan
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra de...
#1 of 29 in Cotopaxi Province
Casa Sakiwa Hotel
Casa Sakiwa Hotel
#1 of 2 in Machachi
Hacienda La Cienega
Hacienda La Cienega
#1 of 3 in Lasso
Casa del Montanero - Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hosteria-PapaGayo South? Share your experiences!