As I have said in the title , this is a cracking hotel ideally positioned and staff who are very helpful and courteous
What I am coming onto now effects a very small percentage of guests , who like me suffer from Celiac Disease, which is a gluten intolerance which is found in any food dish that contains wheat flour.I know there was one other guest with my problem , who openly criticised the standard of food.
So two guests I would say equates to almost 0.75% of the average number of guests staying at the hotel at one time.
I did however undertake some research and like I always do , before booking I telephoned the hotel but could only speak to a reservations member of staff who assured me that the hotel does cater for guests who suffer from my health issue. He also said that the hotel has G.F. (Gluten Free)bread .
I was also aware that the hotel was all inclusive and not a la carte.
On my first day I turned up at the dining room for dinner and always asked to speak to the restaurant manager or one of the chefs who can speak English and fully understand my health issues. It turned out that I spoke to both , who took me on a tour of the hot and cold dishes .
To my surprise and regret almost 75 % of the dishes ,hot and cold contained wheat flour. Those that I could eat were from cooking stations where swordfish and sea bass were cooked to order . Almost all of the hot pork, chicken and beef dishes came with a sauce that contained wheat flour.
I spoke with the restaurant manager who told me that they could cook a pasta or paella which would not contain wheat flour. He asked that he be given 20 minutes notice , so I gave him my choice and went back to the lounge.
My wife and I returned 20 minutes later. We sat down and told the waiter the circumstances thereafter my wife went up and got her first course. She then had her second course and I still waited . Eventually my paella arrived as my wife finished her meal.
On one other occasion I asked for a steak and I was served cold smoked salmon and it was pretty cold.
I spoke with restaurant manager again who explained the difficulties his staff had as nearly all the sauces and gravies that they use is bought in and all contain gluten. I also suspect that being such a popular busy hotel , their chefs are working on full steam preparing and delivering All Inc dishes.
I did not starve and got by mostly with salads , fish, cheeses and fruit. regrettably the GF bread and cakes were not the best .
I am not taking a knock at the hotel which as you can see gets high marks on all counts , it is just not set up to cook food that is gluten free. I thought I had done enough checks , but the question I will be asking if going to a All Inc is " What percentage of your cooked dishes are gluten free ?" Any hesitation they give suggests they don't know and I will stay clear.
The Costa Calero will continue to be a popular hotel and if it is only 0.75% of the guests who are complaining about the food, I don't think it will bother them too much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you are looking for complete relaxation in a luxurious setting in the Canary Islands, allow yourself to be won over by the charms of the Hotel Costa Calero Talaso & SPA, a magical holiday resort built in 2004 and featuring details of Lanzarote's traditional architecture and lush tropical gardens of 27.000m2. The wonderful views of the Atlantic Ocean to be enjoyed from our delightful hotel are an invitation to rest and relaxation on Lanzarote, although we also have a modern Talaso& SPA Centre providing an active pool, Roman Baths and beauty and thalasso treatments, a new concept in spas to restore mind and body. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hotel Costa Calero reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Puerto Calero
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Calero
- Iberostar Costa Calero
- Hotel Costa Calero Lanzarote/Puerto Calero