“Lovely Hotel- Celiacs be aware of food limitations”
Review of Hotel Costa Calero

Hotel Costa Calero
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Edinburgh
“Lovely Hotel- Celiacs be aware of food limitations”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

As I have said in the title , this is a cracking hotel ideally positioned and staff who are very helpful and courteous
What I am coming onto now effects a very small percentage of guests , who like me suffer from Celiac Disease, which is a gluten intolerance which is found in any food dish that contains wheat flour.I know there was one other guest with my problem , who openly criticised the standard of food.

So two guests I would say equates to almost 0.75% of the average number of guests staying at the hotel at one time.

I did however undertake some research and like I always do , before booking I telephoned the hotel but could only speak to a reservations member of staff who assured me that the hotel does cater for guests who suffer from my health issue. He also said that the hotel has G.F. (Gluten Free)bread .

I was also aware that the hotel was all inclusive and not a la carte.

On my first day I turned up at the dining room for dinner and always asked to speak to the restaurant manager or one of the chefs who can speak English and fully understand my health issues. It turned out that I spoke to both , who took me on a tour of the hot and cold dishes .
To my surprise and regret almost 75 % of the dishes ,hot and cold contained wheat flour. Those that I could eat were from cooking stations where swordfish and sea bass were cooked to order . Almost all of the hot pork, chicken and beef dishes came with a sauce that contained wheat flour.

I spoke with the restaurant manager who told me that they could cook a pasta or paella which would not contain wheat flour. He asked that he be given 20 minutes notice , so I gave him my choice and went back to the lounge.

My wife and I returned 20 minutes later. We sat down and told the waiter the circumstances thereafter my wife went up and got her first course. She then had her second course and I still waited . Eventually my paella arrived as my wife finished her meal.

On one other occasion I asked for a steak and I was served cold smoked salmon and it was pretty cold.

I spoke with restaurant manager again who explained the difficulties his staff had as nearly all the sauces and gravies that they use is bought in and all contain gluten. I also suspect that being such a popular busy hotel , their chefs are working on full steam preparing and delivering All Inc dishes.

I did not starve and got by mostly with salads , fish, cheeses and fruit. regrettably the GF bread and cakes were not the best .

I am not taking a knock at the hotel which as you can see gets high marks on all counts , it is just not set up to cook food that is gluten free. I thought I had done enough checks , but the question I will be asking if going to a All Inc is " What percentage of your cooked dishes are gluten free ?" Any hesitation they give suggests they don't know and I will stay clear.

The Costa Calero will continue to be a popular hotel and if it is only 0.75% of the guests who are complaining about the food, I don't think it will bother them too much.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AndrewMutter
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for sharing you opinion with us and for all the nice comments you did about our hotel.

Regarding the topic mentioned about the celiac’s food, as you had opportunity to see, we offer at our buffet a food selection for the people with this type of disease.

In this type of situations, and as you did very well, we recommend that the guests advise us (by email or phone call) before their arrival, after that we will be able to give a better service to our guests with these food limitations.

So when you are at the restaurant, you should ask to talk with the restaurant manager and he will indicate you the food options available for celiac people, and if needed, he can order to the kitchen some other request (e.g. pasta, rice ) considering the gluten limitations.

Anyway, we are sorry for any incommodity that this situation could have caused to you, what we can assure you is that we will take your opinion into account, cause it will doubtless help us to improve similar situations in the future.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future!

Kind regards from Hotel Costa Calero !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have just returned from our third visit to this fantastic hotel. It has not slipped back at all. If anything it was even better than March last year. We saw several people we had seen last time so it must be good. Lovely room (274) overlooking gardens, pool and sea. It was a bit frustrating when the room wasn't cleaned until 3.30pm but at least she made a good job of it. The drinks on all inclusive are great, Gordons gin, Jack Daniels, Bell's whisky etc. etc. There is a huge choice of food, hot and cold, perhaps too much pastry and cakes. The weather was a bit cloudy and breezy at times but it didn't spoil it for us.
The entertainment was very watchable with table bar service. Perhaps a bit too much recorded backing music and I think miming but having said that the artists knew how to get everyone on the floor dancing. The entertainment team work very hard and put a lot of hours in. We had three trips on the shuttle bus to Puerto del Carmen. It,s lively but very flat to walk on the prom. Plenty of places to stop for a coffee. We enjoyed it so much that we have booked another week for our wedding anniversary in June this year.

Room Tip: Email in advance and ask for a high room in the centre. You will have a good view of the gardens, po...
1 Thank craigcar0lpalmer
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review with so nice comments and compliments about our services and facilities!

We are thrilled to know that you are one of our happy returning guests, it’s really amazing that our guests continue enjoying their stays like it was their first time here!

We are always trying to improve our installations and quality of service, more and more, so it make us glad see that effort being recognized !

The opinion of our guests is very important to us, so we can improve and have the opportunity to strive to an even better level of service and hospitality.

We will keep doing our best to make your next visit as delighting as possible!

Warm greetings from Lanzarote!
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed here within the last week as a solo traveller. The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming. My room was great, with a view over the hotel grounds and then onto the sea. As previously stated the hotel is kept very clean. The staff are friendly and efficient, there but not 'hovering'. Great choice of food at every meal. Would I go visit this hotel again.... a definite YES

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank tibsmum
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and for writing this lovely and nice description here on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate a lot the complements you made to our hotel and that everything met your expectations, it really makes us proud!!

It will be a pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future!

Kind regards from sunny Lanzarote !
Lancashire
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Mostly a SAGA destination, this hotel offers quiet relaxation without worry of noise or trouble. We are not yet old enough to take advantage of SAGA, but it suits us fine. The hotel gardens are spectacular and there are always plenty of sunbeds. The pools outdoors are icy cold in March but the SPA pool is lovely and warm. However, the SPA is only free to you on one occasion per visit (unless you're a SAGA guest and then you can go in there free of charge each day).
The gym offers the basic machinery and equipment - enough to get by - and it's free to all.
The rooms are cleaned each day and whether or not you put your towels in the bath, they seem to provide fresh ones each day (which I think is totally unnecessary, but it is a luxury I suppose). The rooms are quiet (probably because you haven't got louts or young children running riot early morning or late at night - big bonus). The food, well, what can I say? The food is beyond brilliant. Plenty of choices each evening with a different roast on offer each night. If you don't eat meat, there are vegetable options galore. Wish I had a bigger tummy!!! Our first night roast was pork ribs. TO DIE FOR! Lovely. The last night was roast lamb. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Very nice indeed and the waiting staff were very attendant and on the ball. Can't fault the catering at all.
If you are looking for lively and busy in your holiday, go somewhere else as Calero is not for you. There is a very small harbour village two minutes walk down a steep hill, but it's not bubbling and certainly isn't lively. It is however, very relaxing and picturesque.
The best thing about this hotel is that it's a 10 minute coach ride from the airport.
Lanzarote itself is very clean and well-kept everywhere. The weather is fantastic all year around and the people are just normal - not falling over the tourist and not offhand. Just lovely.
The staff are helpful and approachable and the hotel inside and out is immaculate. The islanders use this hotel regularly for large weddings, corporate functions etc, which is testament to the reputation it holds.
This was our third visit to this hotel. We've been to the island 6 times now. If you have any questions, we'd be pleased to help but basically, I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel if quiet and relaxing is what you seek.

2 Thank Kingmolo
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

In first place we would like to thank you for visiting us for the 3rd time and for writing such a generous and detailed review, it really makes us glad to see this type of reviews!

We are delighted to read your review and learn that you have been so pleased with pretty much everything of your stay!

We really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding our food, facilities and rooms. Your words about our fantastic and hardworking staff, are the best compliments for us as we are really proud of them!

Your generous words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travellers.

We are looking forward to offer to you our hospitality again at Hotel Costa Calero!

Best Regards from sunny Lanzarote !
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just got back from a brilliant week at the costa calero hotel the food far surpassed our expectations very varied and well cooked . Hotel is very clean and everyone from reception to gardeners to waiters to cleaners were all very pleasant and friendly. We booked the grand tour round the island which we thoroughly enjoyed the national park and volcanos are a must see the lunar tour can only be done by coach so don't expect to be able to drive it in a car it's amazing and well worth doing. Puerto Calero just below the hotel is a five minute walk away and again very clean lots of designer shops and eateries if you are not all inclusive and well worth a visit. Booked through travel republic and once again they were excellent no fuzz no worries no mistakes what more can you want from a week away?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank redundant1
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this lovely opinion about your 1 week stay at our hotel and for sharing your opinion with us and with the other users of Tripadvisor, we truly appreciate it !

The praises you made to our services and staff, were received and indeed, and of course it will be passed to all of them!

We have to say that we are very proud of our cookers work, and it fulfils us of joy to see that our guests have the same opinion !

We have to enforce that question about the magnificence of the superb views and places to visit on the island, as well as the views that you can enjoy here at our hotel! They are really wonderful!

We are looking forward to welcoming you here again!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel from 18/03 to 20/03 2014 first all the weather was fantastic,wall to wall sunshine for whole week. This is a beautiful hotel exceptionally clean and professionally run by the management. The food is very good and plentiful and one would have to be exceptionally fussy not to be able to find something to eat. The wines are very good on all inclusive and of high quality.
Much has been said about the staff. They are all very pleasant and treat everyone with the utmost respect. We upgraded to a 3rd floor room overlooking the sea. It was well worth the 84 euros extra. The room itself was large and very comfortable.
The free bus into Porto Del Carmen was excellent and well worth a visit.
Now the entertainment. I have read on this forum criticism about the entertainment teams shows. While they are not full time professionals the standard of the choreography they indulge in was very high. It was also quite entertaining. The professional acts were very good. This was our first visit to the Canaries and we will certainly be back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mhay5109
Dear guest,

In first place we would like to thank you for your friendly comment and for choosing Hotel Costa Calero for your first time in the Canary islands, it really makes us glad !

We feel very proud that we have been capable to impress you with our facilities, our service as well as that the quality and variety of the food and beverage presented in the meals time were on top of your expectations!

Our animation team, as well as the all the hotel staff, is very committed to their work with great commitment to customer satisfaction and always work hard to achieve that objective.

So, it is always a great motivation for the entire team to receive such positive compliments like yours and to hear we have been able satisfy the expectations of our guests.

Looking forward to your next visit here!

Nottingham
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Just arrived back from Costa Calero. We arrived at the hotel, first impressions from the outside,have we made the right choice. The answer when you enter the hotel it is fantastic, and the staff that greeted us were helpful and polite. All the staff whatever their work all make you feel welcome.There was never any litter to be found in the hotel complex,and our room was spotless. The food is good and lots of variety, a walk to the Marina is a must. There is lots of areas for sunbathing and we could always get sun beds. I would recommend this hotel and we will certainly use this hotel again. A big thank you to Juan the waiter (do you ever go home lol) always happy.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 4th or 5th floor with a sea view.
1 Thank 553Happy
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and for writing this lovely opinion.

All your kind comments with regards to our customer service, rooms, food and about all of our staff are greatly appreciated.

It is always a great motivation for the entire team to receive such positive compliments like yours and to hear we have been able satisfy the expectations of our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back here again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Calero
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#29 of 94 in Puerto Del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,321 reviews
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only

Been to Hotel Costa Calero? Share your experiences!