“We loved it”
Review of Hotel Costa Calero

Hotel Costa Calero
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here for a week in February, there were eight of us - a mix of ages - from 5 to 65.

This is one of the best all-inclusive hotels I have stayed in in the Canary Islands. Spotlessly clean, well maintained and lovely food. Worth mentioning is the choice for vegetarians which, unusually for spain, was good.

It was also very civilised being able to order from a wine list - I have not had this before in any all-inclusive. Being served drinks in the bar at your table was also a real bonus. As we were in a group this made things much more relaxing for us.

The spa was nice and this is the first hotel we have stayed in that allowed children in (at resticted times) - so it was nice to go as a family. We appreciated this as normally we have to go individually while someone looks after the children.

The thing that made it stand out for me was the staff - they were all polite, friendly and accomodating - without exception. Clearly this place is exceptionally well managed.

The only one (very minor) negative point I would make is that to use the spa again, which we wanted to do, would have cost us 7 euros per person - and the cost was the same for children. Children are only allowed in the spa for a couple of hours a day so we didn't feel the expense was worth it. I would suggest to the spa that they charge a bit less for the children and more people would return!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Penjane
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn you had a very enjoyable time with us!

On the year 2013 we were included in the top 25 All-Inclusive Hotels situated within Europe by the Tripadvisor Traveler’s Choice Awards.

The hotel was listed 14th place out of 25 for the All-Inclusive European category and 2nd out of 10 for the All-Inclusive Spain category.

Of course that this was a great recognition for us and it makes us really proud, but it’s even more overwhelming continue receiving that type of complements by our guests!

It is always a great motivation for the entire team to receive such positive compliments like yours and to hear we have been able to satisfy the expectations of our guests.

About the suggestion you made, we will take it into consideration.

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our hotel, your comments about your experience with us have been really appreciated and we sincerely hope that your travelling plans bring you all again back here!

Best Regards from sunny Lanzarote!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,785)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed for a week from 23.02.14, all inclusive.

The hotel's location is superb for a quiet stay; a short walk downhill to the beautiful marina of Puerto Calero with bars, restaurants and some great looking boats.

The rooms are furnished to a good standard, although I had a garden view room with a patio I didn't feel short changed. I found the all inclusive food option a great choice with plenty of variety - fresh fish available every day. The big bonus is the wine list for all inclusive customers, with a good mix of easy drinking, quality wines.

Wifi is available throughout the hotel.

Staff are all polite and helpful with a cheery outlook. Unlike other reviewers I found the restaurants well staffed and efficient. More staff are needed in peak times in the bars.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dunn73
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations and for writing this nice review.

It makes us truly proud see our services being recognized and understand that we make part of the holidays preferences of our guests!

Your words about our welcoming staff are the best compliments for us and we are really proud of them!

We are looking forward to offer to you our hospitality again at Hotel Costa Calero !

Best Regards from sunny Lanzarote!

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was recommended to us by a friend and boy was he right to recomend it. From the minute you walk in the front door the hotel states it's intentions. The reception staff were warm and welcoming and throughout our stay we were very impressed with all the staff. The bar staff and restaurant staff were excellent and the choice of food was varied and always tasty. There were six in our party and the two boys aged 14 and 12 really enjoyed the food while dad made the most of a cracking wine list. This hotel scores top marks on all levels and we will definitely be returning. Thanks to all for a fantastic week in the sun

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Bearimo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to write this review and share it with us here on Tripadvisor.

It makes us really proud when we read so good compliments about our hotel!

It is always a great motivation for the entire team to receive such positive compliments like yours and to hear that we have been able satisfy the expectations of our guests.

It was entirely our pleasure to have had you here and we will be waiting for your returning!

Kind regards from sunny Lanzarote !

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Well, what a fabulous holiday! We travel to Lanzarote every February for a bit of winter sunshine and can honestly say we have never stayed in a hotel this good on the island! The food is great, the entire hotel is spotless and the staff are so friendly! Having free wifi is a great bonus, as is having a fridge in your room and bottled water supplied daily. We took our own travel kettle for our first cuppa of the day but you can borrow one from reception and leave a deposit. We walked down to the marina a few evenings, had a drink and then meandered back for dinner, lovely clean and safe resort. Daniel in the bar deserves a special mention, he always served us with a smile and had a lovely jokey manner. Thank you Costa Calero, we can't wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank ShellandPeteB

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing a so nice and kind review with us here on Tripadvisor.

Furthermore, it’s a great pleasure read that you had a so amazing holidays at our hotel, and even more after knew that of your previous holidays at Lanzarote this was the place that you most enjoyed.

Your description will certainly help future guests that are looking for the best to spend their holidays, so, they will be clarified and amazed with you opinion!

It will be a pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future!

Kind regards from Hotel Costa Calero

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My brother booked the hotel for his family, our elderly father, myself and my husband, he booked a family suite for them and two double sea views for Dad and us. We realised that the family suite was going to be on the ground floor, but the two sea view rooms were allocated on the ground floor also, Dad's was overlooking the sea as was the suite, but our room was west facing with a mountain view. it wasn't the end of the world, but I did feel irritated on behalf of my brother, who had spent extra money on these sea view rooms! My suggestion would be that if you are paying extra for a sea view, to email the hotel beforehand to ask for a higher room. All of our rooms were about as far away from the main part of the hotel as you could get, not a problem for us, but it was for my elderly father, so again if you have mobility problems email ahead.

Apparently the hotel was 90% full, so no doubt they were short of rooms. Although this was the case, the hotel never felt crowded, even at mealtimes. The weather was very cool and windy for most of the time, so the pool areas/sunbeds were fairly quiet.

The rooms were a good size, with plenty of room for large suitcases and plenty of wardrobe space. I had requested ahead that our bed was made up into a double, but I forgot to request a mattress topper and the bed was very hard and uncomfortable if you sleep on your side, as I do. unfortunately we both went down with a winter vomiting bug, soon after arriving at the hotel, so I did not get round to asking for a mattress topper until towards the end of the week. I did ask twice and was told they were looking into it? Sadly it was never provided. Otherwise the beds are enormous, comfortable and supportive if you sleep on your back.

Patio doors lead out to a patio with table and chairs and a couple of sun loungers, there was also a very useful pull out clothes airer for drying swim wear. The sun didn't come round until late afternoon, but luckily we were able to go and sit on my brothers large suite patio.

The bathroom was a fairly good size and included a bath with shower over, hand basin, loo and bidet. I've always thought a bidet to be a waste of space, but on this occasion I became quite well acquainted with it as somewhere to vomit into simultaneously while sitting on the loo with an upset stomach the other end! My husband became ill 12 hours after getting off the plane and myself 12 hours after him, so we are guessing that it was a Norovirus that we maybe picked up on the plane or at the airport in the UK. We found the bath/shower to be very dark especially in the evening as there was no light fitting over it.

thank you to Katherine our cleaner, who nearly always managed to clean our room before we arrived back from breakfast, if it hadn't been for the language barrier, I would have asked her for a mattress topper.

We had all been booked in as All Inclusive, as this was my first time doing this I was really looking forward to it, especially the drinking. sadly it was not meant to be as I had little appetite for the remains of the holiday and had lost my taste for alcohol on the whole. I did force a couple of Gin and Tonics down over the last couple of evenings, which were very pleasant. on the first evening we did try a cocktail each and they were probably the pre mixed type, not to my taste, I'd hoped for a mojito, but they didn't do them??? Also on the first evening we'd had the local beer, Tropical, which was good, but it didn't taste the same a few days after being ill.
The food seemed to be a bit hit and miss, there may have been different chefs on duty? Quite often the food was on the cool side, as has been mentioned in other reviews. On Saturday 22nd February, it was really good. As with most buffets, there was usually a good selection of dishes, especially at breakfast.

The family suite was very spacious, with separate living room and a larger patio, the bathroom had his and her sinks, a separate walk in shower as well as a bath with shower over and loo behind its own door. We all agreed the water pressure and showers were very good.

There were a few pools, due to the cool weather I only went into the warmer one once.

The evening shows were on the whole really good, I'm not really one for hotel entertainment, but we really enjoyed the tribute shows, it seemed a shame that once the show was over, the music was turned down and people seemed to drift off.

On our last day I spotted a notice that gave a list of adult activities that were on a timed basis over the week e.g. Pilates, Yoga to name a couple. I would have really liked to participate in these, but hadn't known about them. Would it not be a good idea to give everyone a timetable of activities in their welcome pack or in the room?

We stayed for a week and because of being ill I felt very negative and just wanted to get home, but on being back a couple of days and speaking to the rest of the family, we have come to the conclusion that on the whole it is a lovely hotel. If only the food was kept hotter and the beds were more comfortable, I may be tempted back.

Room Tip: Ask for south facing higher floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Llanarmonlass
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest

We want thank you for having taken the time to write such a detailed and nice review about your stay and for sharing your opinion with us and with the other users of Tripadvisor, we truly appreciate it.

Regarding our mattresses, it’s normal that you feel them a little bit “hard” at this time (it always depends on the preferences of who use them, because some guests prefer the mattresses when they are like this) , because recently we have changed all the mattresses of our rooms for new ones.

We are very proud of our friendly and efficient staff, so it is fantastic to hear they were able to assist you on making your stay as enjoyable as possible

We make everything possible to guarantee that our food it’s served on the best conditions, and obviously this means that the food should be always hot.
We sincerely apologize if this ever happened with you.

We really hope that we can have the opportunity of having you all back here soon for another great holidays at Hotel Costa Calero!

Greetings from sunny Lanzarote !

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were in August and enjoyed the stay.

PROS
Nice hotel in general.
Friendly staff
Nice garden and pools with great views to the volcanic surroundings
Good value for money (at least with our deal)
Quiet hotel
Family and children friendly hotel and staff.

CONS
During dinner, guests have to pay for the drinks.
Dinner were a bit "school refectory" type
Our bedroom's bathroom was a bit old
We were here in January and the water in the heated pools was quite cold.
Internet connection outrageously expensive

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are very far away form the lobby and restaurants area. Try to get a room close to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Uriaste

Dear guest,

We want to thank you much for sharing with us your opinion here on Tripadvisor.

The kind comments you made about our services and about our staff, were received and indeed, and of course it will be passed to them !

At Hotel Costa Calero we continuously strive to meet the needs and expectations of our guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We want to say sorry if we didn’t met your expectations in the points you mentioned.

Furthermore, we would like to add some notes to the “cons” you mentioned:

”During dinner, guests have to pay for the drinks”. : That can happen if you are on half board, but if you are on All Inclusive board the drinks at the meals or at the bars are free (only for a few of them it’s needed the payment of a supplement).

”There is no beach in Puerto Calero!!! Nice swim though if you do not mind jumping to the water in a rocky shore” :

”Not the most lively place in the world. there is nothing going on in Puerto Calero.” :

It’s true that Puerto Calero doesn’t have any sandy beach and it’s a quiet place. Taking into account that facts and to give other options to our guests , our hotel decided to offer a courtesy bus (available several times a day) that can take our guests to Puerto del Carmen (between 5-10 minutes of travel), where there you can find a sandy beach and a selection of diverse restaurants, shops and activities.

”Internet connection outrageously expensive” : Allow us to inform you, that the Wifi Internet at our hotel it’s completely free and it’s available on all the hotel public spaces and rooms.

But please rest assure that we are taking your observations with great consideration and that appropriate measure will be taken with the aim for better service, in order to secure the valued service our guests deserve.

We are looking forward to the chance of welcoming you back here at Hotel Costa Calero !

Kind regards from sunny Lanzarote !

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed two weeks and had a most enjoyable break. Got the right impression on arrival, clean public areas and speedy check in. Rooms are spacious, linen spotless with good views over gardens/sea. The hotel is a five minute walk away from the marina with good cafes and restaurants and a ferry sails to Puerto del Carmen which is a short pleasant trip. There is a market twice a week at the marina and some quite nice objects on sale. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to Carmen which is handy. You can also take the local service bus to Playa Blanca which is a quieter place with good facilities.
Hotel facilities, pools, spa, bar areas, sun beds and entertainment, in particular the tribute bands were first class. The local animation team work hard. Food is good, lots of variety with occasional themed nights. Drinks plentiful and decent brands available on AI which is not always the case. Found all the staff to be friendly and efficient.
My only negative comment is that I noticed a few occasions when the dress code required by guests was not always complied with at breakfast and lunch.
Am I being picky?

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David N
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

It makes us really proud to know that we fulfilled the expectations you had for the 2 weeks break at our hotel !

Thanks for your nice and lovely description about our hotel, certainly will help other future guests that will read this review and have the intention to visit us !

Regarding your comment about the restaurant dress code, we can assure you that we make all the efforts to guarantee that the dress code it’s respected by our guests. Furthermore, only for your information, this dress code it’s only for the meals made at our Magdalena’s restaurant, so this means that on the lunch time (at Oyambre restaurant) this dress code is not applicable.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future!

Kind regards from Hotel Costa Calero

La Isla Y El Mar Hotel Boutique
La Isla Y El Mar Hotel Boutique
#4 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only

Been to Hotel Costa Calero? Share your experiences!