“Still very good”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Still very good”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our 4th visit here ( last was 18 months ago ). I emailed asking for a room in the area we'd been last twice, no luck.Paid extra for a sea view room and got the top of a palm tree outside our balcony. I suppose we could have tried to change it but from experience this is a hassle and when we found it had sparrows courting in it we rather liked it! Asked to pay to keep on room on day of departure ( 10 eoros for 3 hours) but not possible.
Apart from these little moans and very mixed weather, high winds, heavy rain, bright sun, we greatly enjoyed this holiday once again.
The room was clean and comfortable, with hard beds, we asked for it to be cleaned between 10 and 12 and often it done while we were at breakfast.
The food and drinks were as good as before. The staff are attentive and pleasant and Anibal, in charge of the animation team, remembered my name. I've no idea how.
In February the swimming pools were far too cold for me but the whole complex was always clean and tidy, despite the high winds.
I expect we will return next year but perhaps not pay for a sea view and see what we get.
We went with First Choice (Tui) and over all ,including the sea view addition, it was the same price as Saga, but better flying times,from Manchester. ( uncomfortable seats on the planes though ). Our rep, Sandra, was good.
I would suggest anyone thinking of going to shop around as its fairly large and lots of tour companies go there.

Room Tip: Its probably as waste of time emailing the hotel, but if you are paying for a sea view ask for the 5...
1 Thank veryoldal
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest,

We are honoured to hear that you have chosen to spend your holidays in hotel Costa Calero not only once, but four times so far! It is lovely to know that our guests are so satisfied with our service that they are returning over and over again.

We are sorry that you have not received the exact room you asked for at the beginning, but eventually everything turned out to be better that way and you discovered the good points of the accommodation you were provided with.

It is very nice to hear that despite of the variable weather you had, you enjoyed your stay here again and you are planning on returning.

So, we are looking forward to you next visit and till then,

Lots of sunny greetings from Lanzarote!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,062)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
south west
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at Costa Calero. We hadn't visited the hotel since it moved to private ownership from Iberostar but we were very pleased to see so many of the staff had stayed on. They were all friendly, helpful and very efficient. The hotel and grounds are well kept - plenty of sunbeds and only a very small minority were booked from silly o'clock! The food was varied and of a good standard, particularly with regard to the show cooking. An excellent wine list at dinner and very palatable red and white plonk at lunch-time. There are pleasant walks from the hotel down to the marina and along the coast path. All in all a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday. Looking forward to returning later in the year.

4 Thank grannyrob
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this nice review of hotel Costa Calero.

We are glad that you have liked it as much as your previous stays here and you met familiar faces amongst the staff.

We are looking forward to your next visit later this year!

Northamptonshire England
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is of a good standard with no major faults. It is well run, all area’s clean & tidy, the staff were good (Dining room staff very hard working), the food was excellent and the room was to a good standard.
I stayed on a half board basis and did not request or pay for a higher floor room with a sea view. I was given a room (125) on the first floor that had a lovely sea view with balcony. It overlooked a minor road and traffic or noise was not an issue. The room was a good size, clean and well designed with plenty of storage space, and showing little sign of wear & tear except for a rather strange hole in the ceiling above the bath. The bathroom was also very good, clean and everything worked okay. The maid cleaned the room every day between 10:00 and 11:00 and did a through job. The room had a linking door to the next room so that it could be used for families, and although this did not bother us, it did make the room noisier as you could here every conversation, cough (smokers cough), snore plus anything else they were up to. Luckily they did try and keep noise to a minimum.
The air conditioning was noisy and ineffective but with the weather it was not really needed. In the bathroom there was no shavers socket so if you use a mains shaver, you will need to take your own adaptor. There is a power socket in the bathroom but it was above the toilet so you had to stand at an angle to try and see in the mirror while shaving. All in all it was a good room that was well up to a 4 star rating.

Food – well there was nothing wrong here. Plenty of food, well presented, quickly replenished, and the quality ranging from satisfactory to superb. The staff here were excellent. On a personnel choice the only change I would make to the food is to have softer bread. The rolls here are very hard and I tend to have soft bread rolls. The only change request I would make is that in the evening when you sign for your drinks, that I would like a receipt would like to be able to see what I was signing for as the printing was so small and with the lower light levels, you could be signing for anything.

Outside pools and sun loungers – The main pool was so cold that in 10 days I was there, not one person swam in it. Plenty of people tested the water but quickly got out. The pool in the far corner of the complex was much warmer (probably 22c) but was mostly user by strong swimmers as it had lanes especially for them. But even here, most of the swimmers wore wet suits. The other large pool (lower down) was about 24c and just about right for swimming, although there was never more than 4 people using it at any one time. We never had any problems getting a sun lounger. What I really liked was the way that the gardens were laid out into small compartments with each one having 2 to 8 sun loungers in each area. This way you do not need to lay close together to everyone else around the pools, and gives you a bit of privacy and piece & quiet.

Entertainment – This is very important as there is nothing else to do in the evening in the resort (except a few bars) so having good entertainment is a must. Most nights this started around 21:30 and finished at 22:30, and I enjoyed most of the professional acts. The only disappointment was on the nights that the “Entertainment team” were on as the tended to mime and tried to dance, doing neither particularly well. For example, if you are doing “Broadway hits” musicals, pick shows and tunes that people have heard of, as the first three songs were a complete mystery, and people had started to leave at this point. Also, I think you need to start with something adult by 21:00 and end with something after 22:30 (say up to 23:30) probably more music (disco) but not another 1980’s “Kool and the Gang” video as that just got irritating.

I found the free hotel shuttle bus into Puerto Del Carmen very useful. There is also a very well used cycle hire shop based in the hotel that was mainly used by enthusiasts who had brought over all the correct gear with them, but there were a few mountain bikes as well.
Because of the hotels location in a small resort, I do not think that this hotel will suit younger people or those with children (no beaches locally), or those that want more to see & do (shops & evening entertainment). It does however suit those people that want a quieter and more relaxing holiday which is possibly why the majority of people were in the age range 50 to 80, or a few cyclists who preferred the local roads with less traffic.

Overall, it lived up to its 4 star rating, and I can see why some people return each year.

Room Tip: Do not bother with “All Inclusive”. I was on half board and eat only at breakfast and in the evening...
3 Thank Dudley-Diane
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing hotel Costa Calero for your vacations and thank you for taking your time to write this exhaustive and interesting review about it. We are happy to hear that you liked your overall stay here and we will take your recommendations into consideration.

On behalf of all the staff, we are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel with plenty of space. Sun loungers easily available by all three pools. Holidayed in January so pools were not very warm, however the lower one by the grass was bearable.

Staff very friendly. Hotel very clean. Drinks good, known brands available in the A/I package. Food very good, with show cooking every night. Themed nights also went well. Entertainment was a bit hit and miss but we had two very good acts during our stay.

Not all the bars were open during the day as it was the winter season, however this did not spoil our stay. Didn't try and Spa but will next time.

Puerto Calero has a small marina with upmarket shops. Very pleasant to wander down thee but there is a fairly steep walk back . Didn't try the walk to Puerto del Carmen.

Would definitey stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room. We were in 115 which had a view to the sea but wasn't very high so coul...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank baje39
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and for taking your time to write this nice and detailed review about it.

On behalf of all the staff, we are looking forward to your next visit here and we hope that it will be even better than the previous one!

Greetings from Lanzarote to Huddersfield!
Dorset
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Hotel Costa Calero in Puerto Calero, Lanzarote. My father, daughter and myself fancied a week away in the sunshine but didn't want a long haul flight as it was just for a week. We have never been to Lanzarote before and have heard mixed reviews. We almost booked the 5* hotel on the beach but after reading a few bad reviews on here about it we decided that Costa Calero sounded far nicer. We booked it through Thomson on an all inclusive package with two rooms. We pre-booked our taxi transfer with Thomson and I contacted the hotel direct through facebook and requested interconnecting rooms with a nice view. The hotel messaged me back immediately saying they would see what they could do and that they would look forward to welcoming us, which I thought was nice.

The flight was very straight forward and to time. We stepped off the plane, walked through customs, our bags were the first off, we spoke to a Thomson Rep who was friendly and showed us to our waiting taxi and we were on our way. The transfer took 10-15 mins and was easy. We were dropped right outside the Hotel and walked up the walkway straight into the foyer & reception area. Straight away you get the feel of space and cleanliness. It looked huge and seemed very quiet especially for a half term. The Reception staff were fairly brisk and to the point (not overly friendly to be honest) and directed us to our rooms ( interconnecting as requested) and gave us our key cards and information on pool towels etc. Overall, an easy Check-In process although they could have been a little bit more welcoming.

Our rooms were spacious and clean with a balcony that over looked a quiet road, palm trees and with a view of the sea. Our bathroom was large, modern and also extremely clean. Good shower, bath and a hair-dryer that worked properly. We all know that even though many holiday brochures state they have hair-dryers they are often useless. This meant both my daughter and I could dry our hair simultaneously as we had brought one with us. Bonus. The TV worked fine and many people on here have complained that there were no channels that spoke English other than the News. However, there are in fact two film channels 21 & 33 ( I think) that show films back to back in ENGLISH. Great for an early chilled night or whilst getting ready to go out although really, who needs a TV anyway when on holiday??

The resort catered for everybody and was so well laid out that it never seemed busy or crowded at all. It had good wheel chair access to everywhere (we noticed) and also a fabulous childrens entertainment program run by great entertainment staff (we also noticed) We needed neither but noticed that everyone was catered for.

The breakfasts in the main restaurant were very varied and there was something for everyones palate. From Pancakes with chocolate to yoghurts to fresh fruit to a hot cooked breakfast with the full works. My Dad liked the omelette made to order whilst my daughter and I liked the fried egg, flipped to order. They even juiced fruits in a large juicing machine and you could have the option of many varieties of freshly juiced drinks. The sausages weren't great but I guess thats just a personal choice.

The lunch is in the bar/restaurant by the pool. Again it is buffet style but again there is something to suit everyone. The evening Meal was back in the main restaurant and is cleverly laid out by random overhead low lighting to many of the tables which eliminates that warehouse-style type of dining experience that you sometimes get when in a buffet restaurant. The meals were good, with soups and starters, again to suit everybody. Always a variety. The Main courses were good with some meats you don't usually find in a buffet restaurant ie: duck, rabbit, veal and all cooked well. One starter was steak tar-tare which I know doesn't suit many and indeed some people did give it a wide berth, not knowing what it was. So it did cater for the discerning palette too. The fish was lovely too and very fresh although on one occasion I had to take back my sea bass to be cooked a little longer - I guess the chef was busy and had over looked mine being slightly raw. The only complaints about the food from my point of view were the desserts which seemed to consist of mainly slop in varying colours. I joked with my daughter that they would be great if one didn't have teeth! We generally missed out on desserts or opted for fruit instead. We tried the 'Squid Soup' one lunchtime but failed to find any squid although it was nice anyway. So all in all the food was good. Note to Hotel though - in case they read this - If there was an Al a carte restaurant in addition to the Buffet it would make this resort a 5*. Also, it would be great if there was another bar open during the day from which you could get drinks ie the piano bar because on colder days not everybody wants to sit by the pool.

The pools were beautiful and maintained to an exceptionally high standard. There were a few tiles missing on the lower heated pool but this was no problem at all. The Infinity pool was lovely but cold. We braved it once but generally swam in the heated pool by the grass area. There was also a salt water pool by the 'beach area' which was set out in lanes so that people could do lengths without being interrupted by other swimmers. A great option. Also then there was the Spa with its very warm salt water indoor/outdoor pool/ whirlpool. We spent a lazy cloudy afternoon in the steam room/sauna/spa baths and spa pools which is accessed through the hotel but is a separate entity. You do get a complimentary day here and to have additional days it is only E7 each to use the pools & spa. The massages and manicures seem expensive in comparison to UK prices but maybe the norm here.

The evenings for us began in the Piano Bar which has a lovely terrace over looking the pools, sea and mountains. We watched the sun go down whilst sipping Martinis (note to hotel:-Olives would have been nice) and then we headed down for dinner. The evenings entertainment varied from the hotels entertainment staff putting on an act, mimed but funny and definitely entertaining, to shows of varying types. We saw a girl group- consisting of a Whitney impersonator (obviously) who was fairly good, another girl who I can't really remember who she was impersonating... and an Amy Winehouse impersonator. All I can say is- when 'Amy' gets up to sing, LEAVE! You have been warned. Otherwise though the entertainment was good and on many nights there were people up on the dance floor. We did come across the mini disco on a couple of occasions when arriving in the bar. This was an entertainment set up for the little ones and had my daughter been younger she would have loved it too I'm sure. The staff were brilliant with the children and they all seemed to have an amazing time, well worth looking into if you're bringing a young family with you. It will be the highlight of their evening.

All the staff work very hard and the same staff do all different jobs. For instance the Aqua Aerobics Guy (the most entertaining aqua aerobics I have ever seen) also does the childrens clubs and evening entertainments. The staff are all exceptionally friendly (other than the reception staff who could have smiled a couple of times) and are happy to help.

On Tuesday & Fridays there is a mini market held in the Marina which is an approx 8-10 min walk down the hill. Lots of different types of stalls and a few fun bits to buy, local craft, beads handbags, aloe gels & hand creams etc. We didnt go into town on the courtesy bus or do any of the tours as we went away for a relaxing sunshine break and just wanted to chill. The weather was varied, we had rain on our first two days which was disappointing but then it cleared up. Most days it was cloudy with sunny periods but definitely lovely to get away. Well worth a visit. It was 25 degrees when we left. Do take a cardigan, a jumper and a jacket for evenings as it can get chilly.

All in all we found this resort to be of a very high standard and impeccably clean. Yes, there are cats roaming about and yes we did see a cockroach but be realistic this is an island holiday resort and essentially an immaculate one. We have stayed in hotels all over the world are have high standards. This was a lovely hotel with good food. An al a carte would better it in our opinion but we would return and would recommend it to friends as a nice, relaxing getaway :-)

Room Tip: We had rooms 108 & 109 which were close to pools and on same level but far enough away to be ver...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank AliceUk_11
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear guest,

We are really glad to hear that you picked up hotel Costa Calero due to the reviews here! And what an amazing report of your stay you have written, we really thank you for that, it surely would be very useful to our future guests.

Of course we do remember you from your messages in the social network website, you were a bit concern of how this holiday would go, given the fact that it was your first visit of the Canary Islands. And now, we are overwhelmed with the fact that you have liked it so much and you will be returning here.

We read your recommendations thoroughly and we will take them into consideration. Once again, thank you for your interesting and detailed review. We are looking forward to your next visit here and we are hoping it will be soon.

On behalf of all the staff,

Sunny greetings from Lanzarote to Dorset!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We just love this hotel. It's so palatial with wonderful grounds, trees, plants and just so spacious everywhere. We've tried some other fully inclusive holidays and to be honest we did have better food at one of these but overall Hotel Calero comes out tops. The evening entertainment was better this time and energetic Carlos was amazing. We saw a wonderful magician one evening. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The spa is a dream, so relaxing and so much fun, I highly recommend it after a day at one of the wonderful swimming pools. Lots and lots of sun loungers and some hidden away in lovely little spots behind plants and trees, great.
My one " grouse" is the birds flying around the open restaurant at lunch time. There are some protectors up but we saw pigeons landing on the beautiful bread and pecking away! I hate that. We have never been unwell on the holidays at Calero but I do wish the sparrows and pigeons problem could be solved somehow? The waiters/waitresses work really fast clearing plates etc and I don't know what the solution is. Other holiday makers aren't so fussed maybe, I did see a couple throwing crumbs on the floor which doesn't help!
Anyway, thanks Hotel Costa Calero, ANOTHER great holiday. We will be back later this year!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Liley44
Dear guest,

Fourth visit and a fifth to come later this year! That is lovely, thank you for staying with us for a consecutive time and thank you for writing here your lovely opinion about it!

It is such an honour that you consider Costa Calero the best All Inclusive hotel you have stayed in. This means a lot to us and it is the best reward we can receive for our hard work.

We are very sorry about the birds during lunchtime. We are doing everything we can to keep them away and the food is kept under covers at all times. You might as well have noticed the funny owl scarecrow hanging from the tree next to the restaurant Oyambre, making its best effort to frighten the sparrows away. Thank you for your understanding and your patience regarding the issue.

We are looking forward to have you back here later this year and to give you another wonderful vacation in our “palatial hotel”!

Sunny greetings from Lanzarote to London!
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've never been a fan of hotel all inclusive type holidays, normally preferring a self catering villa miles from anyone else with a pool and plenty of scenery...however, we were completely converted to the "splat" holiday after our visit here...true relaxation! We have a 9 year old and a 6 year old boy and they were desperate to get to the kids club every day with all their new "holiday friends" they made! The entertainment for them was first class, painting their own t-shirts, water polo and volley ball for the older ones, mini discos and all sorts of other fun activities...and not too many children around either, even though it was half term...they had the best time ever....which gave us an unprecedented amount of time to read by the perfectly swimable in pool. The gardens are really cleverly designed so everyone has their own space and there is always a spot out of the breeze. The free spa entry was a fun distraction on one of the cooler days too. Food was grand, favourite being the huge array of choice at breakfast and with half of the family being veggie, there was always plenty to eat...as unfortunately the scales have shown now we are home. I hadn't really appreciated how liberating it was to not have to think for a moment about feeding the family! We both work hard with our own business and there is no down time with 2 small boys at the weekends and therefore it's the first time we have ever felt truly relaxed in 9 years! The magic show on our first evening was first class, absolutely astounding! The animation entertainment team deserve some of their own medals they give to the children...they were quite simply brilliant! The whole place felt completely safe and secure for the whole family so the kids could really enjoy a lot of freedom. The resort of Pureto Calero, looks quite new and very "high end" we took the kids to the marina many evenings and they loved feeding the mullet in the water. Lots and lots of OAPs around the hotel, but actually that was really lovely, it meant it was all very calm and chilled and many had a lovely twinkle in their eye and it really lent itself to make the whole place feel more secure for the kids. The only thing I think the hotel could improve is the decor in the spotlessly clean rooms, we had 2 adjoining rooms, perfect for us, but the decor chosen for the curtains and bed linen nearly put me off choosing this hotel on the website, it looks very 70s and completely gives the wrong impression of this brilliant hotel. As a previous hotel manager myself, I would urge the owners to consider changing these to something more simple or stylish as I think it would increase bookings dramatically. Other than that superficial area though, I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel, and we may well come back again for another "splat" holiday! Thanks so much to all the hardworking staff that served us so incredibly well.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Lucyjewson
Dear guest,

What a lovely review! We can not express our gratitude for your kind words and we are bursting with joy of the fact that we have been able to make your holidays here so unforgettable.

We are very proud to hear that this has been the first time you have stayed All Inclusive in a hotel and that you were so content with it. As you have seen for yourself, nothing can be compared to the “splat holiday” experience and we are sure this is going to be your type of vacation from now on and hopefully you will choose again hotel Costa Calero!

It is so nice that your kids had such a blast with the animation team and thus you had the opportunity to relax and enjoy your holiday at the fullest.

Once again, thank you for this wonderful and detailed review and for the recomendations, we will take them into consideration.

Looking forward to seeing you here again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Calero
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#30 of 92 in Puerto Del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,337 reviews
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only

Been to Hotel Costa Calero? Share your experiences!