“Excellent Hotel&great location”

Hesperia Lanzarote
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
“Excellent Hotel&great location”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We have being staying for a week and have thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel itself is stunning with very friendly and helpful staff, a list of great facilities and very tasty themed buffets. Its located beside a beautiful marina with loads of amenities and lovely restaurants and bars. We most definitely would return. (Try the mojito!)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AimeeJohnty
Pablo_Rey_Rodriguez, Director General at Hesperia Lanzarote, responded to this review, December 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Hesperia Lanzarote on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services, facilities provided at the resort and specially our Mojito!.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back and I would like I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy Christmas and a happy New Year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We booked this hotel two days before we went, not reading any reviews. Our room was small and in need of a refurbish. The bathtub was rusty and the glass wall mended with plastic tape. The corridors were dark and in lack of any decoration. There were long queues to get into the “Botavaria” buffet area at breakfast and dinner time. The buffet was in general not a gastronomic experience and had the quality of any roadside restaurant, with some exceptions. The wine list was also very limited. The restaurant “Risco” needed booking two days in advance if you did intended to eat earlier then 20:30. The menu was impressive. Unfortunately they didn’t deliver. Every dish had its faults and we didn’t always get what we ordered. The water in the largest pool was ice cold. The free Wi -FI was slow and very variable. The last night we were both food poisoned by eating a few shrimps. This place is in lack of management.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Helge J
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

A break away for some winter sun. Deal was for half board which we weren't certain about, but the food was fantastic. The room had a great view which we were not expecting and was very clean and comfortable. All in all, a great stay, would certainly go back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank HMickW52
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Abt a 20 min taxi transfer,£20euro,ish

Check in..
Impressive reception area and champagne on arrival.
Slow check in as a lot of computer work regarding cards and keys.Bell boy service to the room.

Rooms..
We booked a double and single(child) in 1 room. We had 3 double comfortable beds. Room was very spacious with a all facilities working.Large flat screen tv but only 2 English speaking news channels..Does allow usb leads however. No kettle if you like your cuppa,only expensive room service. Could do with alick of paint..Best rooms ,high floor overlooking main pool,best for pm sunlight.

Food..
Breakfast is less hassle than the evening meal as it can be an ordeal with an often a long wait for a table. If a meat/fish eater, its best to give the chefs the item to cook fresh as food on hotplates was often cold.salads,veggy and deserts were more than adequate.

Pools..
Main pool is impressive but ice cold,Middle pool is heated but our fav was the lowest level pool nearest the sea,quiet and less windy.

Location..
Very isolated but a smart but expensive marina is a 10 min walk away following the sea,(very nice walk) ..McSorleys is a very good English speaking bar . sport tv and very good food. A supermarket is also here.Nowhere in the hotel to buy bits and bobs..

Overall and good stay but I would say not worth the cost. Note a lot of hotel luxuries come under the spa which is extra cost.Gym is fee however.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank kipper99007
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We booked this hotel four weeks ago after reading the excellent reviews. We'll I am sorry to disagree with most but this hotel doesn't rate 5 star but in our opinion it's only a THREE STAR. Our room is very badly in need of a refurb particularly the bathroom. The bath was not cleaned once in our 7day stay and the chips in the bath got larger by the day as they had been covered in sealant. We are staying All inclusive and even on our last day we have still not found we're we can have snacks dispite the welcoming letter given to us on our arrival stating that they are available for 12 hours a day. We were told also by reception staff we could eat at the Pool bar but we're refused to be served and told we had to eat in the restaurant. Another bone of contention was the long queues to get into the restaurant whether it be breakfast lunch or dinner, it didn't matter how one varied the times there were always great long queues. We and some other guests asked to speak to the General Manager but we're told he was far to busy to speak to guests (we only asked to speak to him !!).
Just to finish if any one reading this who is an electrician and going to stay at this hotel please bring your tools as they can't fix the toaster!
On a good note most of the staff who are not wearing SUITS are lovely. My Dvice is don't bother staying here.

Room Tip: Top floor facing the pool as you get the sun
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jmc65
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

A clean, quiet, well-maintained hotel with friendly and helpful staff. It's in a good location, about 20 minutes' drive from Arrecife airport, but not that easy to get to by public transport. Buses go past, but not into, Puerto Calero and it's a long walk from the bus stop if you have luggage. If you intend to visit the Volcanoes, the Cesar Manrique centres, or the north of the island, hire a car - it will be cheaper than the bus tours. If you are intending to use the hotel as a resort, there are several swimming pools and eateries. The Spa was only open at the weekend when we visited. There was a strong, cool breeze with cloudy sunshine when we visited in mid-February, so not really sun-lounging weather, but we had gone for walking, and it was ideal for this. Close to the marina, with its shops, and long, easy walks along the cliffs. And fabulous walks among the volcanoes. Marvellous surf at La Famara beach (other side of the island from the hotel.)

Our room had a lovely sea view and was big enough with a balcony and well serviced.
The main restaurant serves good fresh buffet food but it is a bit of a scrum at peak times. There is an excellent range of food, but it takes a little perseverance to find it, and how it works. They pride themselves on 'show cooking', which means that the uncooked food is on the counters and you have to point out what you want to a chef who then cooks it on the grill in front of you. This works brilliantly when they aren't too busy, but otherwise it can feel a bit like trying to get served in a city centre pub on a Friday after work - and it means that the food isn't always cooked as thoroughly as I prefer. We had to ask for some meat to be cooked for longer. If you are a sea-food lover (sadly, I'm not) then it would be paradise. There are ready-cooked dishes too, which I tended to prefer: my main problem was to avoid eating too much! But you have to go to the 'Piano Bar' for after-dinner coffee. There they have some after-dinner entertainment which we quite enjoyed.

We also had a meal in the El Risco 'a la carte' restaurant, where we dressed up for dinner. The food here was very tasty with waiter service. And a nice bottle of wine. We were half-board, which included this restaurant, but all drinks were extra. The drinks were reasonably priced.

We would certainly stay here again. It's hard to know what to expect in a 'Five Star' hotel. I would avoid a five star hotel in many places, as being too stuffy with uniformed lackeys and having to wear a collar and tie to the restaurant. This place is 'civilised' and very good value for what we paid.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Roger T
Pablo_Rey_Rodriguez, Director General at Hesperia Lanzarote, responded to this review, December 24, 2014
Dear Guest

Our prime focus is to provide efficient, warm and friendly service to all our guests and your mention about these services is very encouraging and a great reward for the entire team. Thank you for the very detailed feedback and mentioning so many positive elements about the resort.

Best regards,
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a nice hotel & staff very warm and friendly, but a few things irritated me and overall I did not feel was great value

I paid over £2000 for a one weeks break (including flights) for myself & 2 children aged 7 & 6 - my perception of 5* is clearly different from what the hotel considers 5* -

On arrival you are offered a complimentary drink - a very nice touch I think.

my kids made use of the kids club - a godsend and great service from the Polish girl, Agniezska, who took care of the children - they had great fun

the room provided was very tired and basic and some areas of the hotel have not been maintained over time. There were 2 beds and the staff member wheeled in a 3rd bed - but absolutely no room to site this bed, so we ended up 3 sharing the 2 beds pushed together.

although the main reception area/ foyer is very nice, some areas were poor - the mini golf area is in a very poor state but otherwise the pool areas and outside areas were very attractive.

However, a real problem with the edging stones around the kids pool which are rough to the touch - my son and some other kids suffered cuts and grazes when they fell against the edge - why is this not smooth? The really disappointing issue is that staff are in denial about this hazard and appear not to keep an accident book - so I am the only person to complain about this, apparently.

Wi - FI - is free for 2 sessions, then after that you pay 5€ per day - but 3 problems arise;

It is irritating to have to pay extra for Wi-Fi when you have paid a 5* price for 5* value - it should be free/included in the tariff. Secondly, the internet service does not extend throughout the hotel/hotel grounds so you could pay for Wi-Fi but be unable to use it in your room - not satisfactory. Thirdly, paying for Wi-Fi only covers one device, so if a couple have a ipad each then who gets the service?

The one issue that seriously annoyed me was that the hotel insist on men wearing long trousers to the restaurant (The Botavaria) in the evening. I did not bring long trousers with me -like many I wanted to chill out in my shorts and enjoy a casual break. The waitress insisted that I leave the table (having started to eat my soup) to go to reception to "borrow" trousers - they have a stack of trousers in reserve. The waitress was embarrassed and apologised that she had to go through the routine every day, especially in summer as I am not alone in falling foul of the hotel rules.

What really annoyed me was that I had to leave my 2 children alone in the restaurant while I had to resolve this issue, my children were upset and I was inconvenienced on my first day at the hotel. My daughter asked me "Daddy are they not going to let us eat in the restaurant anymore?"

It does beg the question - what If I Said - no I am not leaving to borrow trousers - would they have then refused to allow me to eat for the week? what about the fact that I had paid for half board?? Now get this - it's a buffet!! I expect to have to wear trousers for a high end restaurant and they have other restaurant options on site - so why insist on this rule? all the management are doing is to piss off the guests and put them through the hassle of complying with their rule on long trousers - in what way does this engender a good relationship with guests? If the waitress has to go through this nonsense every day, why not just let people were shorts and save everyone the grief?

So - excellent staff and good service - it's a good hotel but not 5* and the issue above means that those who fall foul of the long trouser rule, like me, leave with an unfavourable memory of my stay there and will not return - they will never again gain my custom or anyone I may recommend. They have forgotten the first rule of service - keep the customer happy!

Room Tip: get a room near reception as you have a better chance of Wi-Fi in your room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Seaside Los Jameos Playa
Seaside Los Jameos Playa
#9 of 92 in Puerto Del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,572 reviews

Been to Hesperia Lanzarote? Share your experiences!