“nice location”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“nice location”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very nice location,disappointed with reception staff as we were on our honeymoon, hotel had been notified via e'mail but nothing in place on arrival,had to change rooms as there was a sewage odour emitting from the toilet every time it was flushed used or not.However all was not lost the toilets were sorted next day and we did eventually get a nice drink and complimentary chocolates from the hotel, (after our son had given out both barrels},the pools are nice food is okay but not outstanding,the biggest gripe i had was you sign for drinks etc but no receipt/copy is given so by the end of the holiday how can you double check the final bill?.The lady who was serving the piano bar guests should be given a pay rise as she was friendly and very helpful,reception staff take note!!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on level 7
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laurie1502013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

How this a 5 hotel How never know.

From check in I knew it was all downhill.
The check in area is very poor and as mentioned the receptionist answered the phone twice while checking us in.

We requested a suite. Which was very very basic . The design and layout is quite poor and finishing needs to be updated.

The balcony which is fronted by a very busy walkway was full of dirt and branches from the trees outside.

it just didnt feel special.

Onto our Meal.

For starter we both decided on the Duck Salad. What a tasteless plate of food.few days old salad by what tasted like duck from a packet.

main course was luke warm steak. The meat was nice and a decent portion but as stated it wasn't hot at all which killed it.

Desert was a stodgy mouse with a fancy oatmeal style biscuit. The biscuit was the best part of the meal.

We were that hungry after wards we actually walked to a nearby restaurant at the marina and had food there.

Back in hotel room. Checked mini bar and drinks were only a little chilled this turned into a major hassle when we realised the air con was brutal a decent fan would of been better

Regarding the Wifi setting what an absolute shambles that is...password doesnt save and the wifi barely worked.

Will never ever stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank RichandTan
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Had a great time. Relaxing, easy going coastal retreat. Staff very helpful and plenty on site or nearby to keep one occupied. No proper beach area within walking distance (Puerto Del Carmen approx 10 min taxi away). While the food and some of the recreation areas might not be 5 star, the overall experience was really great and will be looking forward to my next trip.

Room Tip: The 'U-Nique' rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Seamus G
Scotland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is the second time I have been to this hotel and I basically returned as their prices beat many of the other 5 star hotels by quite a bit. For example I have stayed in the Princessa Yaiza in Play Blanca and the Hesperia is so much cheaper. The hotel does has some great points but also some areas that need improved. I found the service at reception second to none this time around and the couple of times I had to call at reception, the service was excellent. For example, when my daughter broke the key in the lock of her suitcase on arrival and reception sent a lovely man from hotel maintenance to help us at all hours of the night and when I asked for alternative pillows for my daughter who had a sore back, I was offered a further selection which were replaced immediately.
I didn't find the service as good at the bottom pool bar however and there were often long queues and sometimes a not so friendly service. Also the choice of snacks here are very poor and considering we were in Spain, I was crying out for some simple tapas or even some fresh, local fruit. I think that they are trying too hard to cater for tourists and must presume us Brits all eat rubbish such as hotdogs, chicken nuggets and toasties and chips. This pool bar also does not open until very late on in the morning which is inconvenient.
The hotel reception itself is lovely and very impressive, as a 5 star hotel should be, but again as I found the last time, the hotel corridors leading to the rooms, and the rooms themselves do not in my opinion warrant a 5 star rating. The corridors are definitely in need of a lick of paint and so are the walls in the rooms. The bathrooms are dark and un-inviting looking with dark tiles and need a makeover. Most 5 star hotels I have stayed in also do a 'turn down service' which I think adds a nice little touch and this does not happen at this hotel.
The last time I stayed here, which was two years ago, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that you did not have to fight for sunbeds, nor indeed have to put towels out at some ridiculous time in the morning to secure a bed. This time however, this had sadly changed and I found myself getting up a some stupid time in the morning in order to carry this out otherwise have no sunbed. The hotel really needs to discourage this practice say by stacking up the beds at night and not laying them out until a certain time the following morning as I find this unacceptable in a 5 star hotel. I would expect this in a 3 star but not a 5 star. Also it looked as though the hotel was in the process of changing over beds as there was a mixture of different types and the older beds look and feel like they need throwing away! Same with the towels I'm afraid, as most of the time they were very tatty looking and all need replaced.
We only stayed bed and breakfast this time around but the breakfast has everything you would want on offer and the service was good. I think it may certainly be worth looking in to going all inclusive as the drinks are quite expensive through out the day and you would of course receive these free. I do however strongly approve of the fact that hotel must only allow so many guests to stay all inclusive and half board as this then means the dining areas are not over run and does allow the guests options as I have stayed half board and bed and breakfast basis and liked eating out this time along in the marina 5 minutes away from the hotel.
The hotel is set in a lovely location overlooking the sea and does have a lot of redeeming qualities but I really hope that they give it a bit of a make over in certain areas or it will certainly not meet the 5 star criteria very soon.

Room Tip: I would opt for a sea view room as the view is lovely.
2 Thank Fiona29
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The worst bits:

The slowest most laborious and confusing all inclusive system I have ever experienced checking cards and giving signatures and room numbers at every turn and unable to eat at pool bar etc

Ants everywhere in the very standard room, bathroom, wardrobe, dressing table – everywhere!

Restaurant staff brought my little girl an old cloudy bottle of vinegar with 6 dead red flies floating in it then brought a sachet of vinegar and would not bring a second one as they said ‘they’d already given her one’!

Flies and ants all over the open buffet

Hair found in my sister's meal

Food always was luke warm and comparative to FARMFOODS quality and obviously recycled at next nmealtimes

Reception staff extremely unfriendly and SLOW. On arrival we were asked to 'wait as they were staff training' and after 20 minutes had to go back to them to remind them we were waiting

Not all inclusive, even simple things like fresh o.j aren’t included! I was given a hefty bill for o.j and water on check out

No air conditioning in reception where acts perform, so guests sweltered

Don’t get excited about the a la carte restaurant, it’s simply pizza pasta!

Once per week BBQ cancelled without any reason

Advertised children's TV channels not available as no tv signal for Canal channels

Hotel generally lacking in atmosphere

The better bits:

Lovely swimming pools and location

Some good acts performed in evenings

The kids club was very enjoyable and they were the friendliest most helpful staff to approach for anything

Plenty sunbeds and seating areas

Not too many children so quite relaxing in a quiet area and not many shops to spend more money on

A good varied range of visitors from around the world

Enjoyed watching the outdoor weddings

A complimentary bottle of cava and cake brought to our room on my sister's birthday

Recommendations:
Deal with the insects in rooms and in/on foods
Air conditioning in the reception area where acts are performing should be ON
An outdoor Jacuzzi
A courtesy shuttle service to Puerto del Carmen
Include ALL in All Inclusive and simplify and speed up the system
Reception staff need to greatly improve customer service

Room Tip: Standard rooms are pretty standard and basic and do not have the facilities advertised such as tv ch...
2 Thank graceandbel
Wales
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked this hotel on the basis of research and an article I found from the Daily Telegraph. Then I read some of the negative reviews (as you do) and was a bit apprehensive But I needn't have been.
Overall impression was how quiet the hotel was and we arrived on the first day of the school holidays 22/7. Kids room as lovely it was very clean and a delight for my 4 year old with the additional pleasure of returning to the room every evening to find a snack and a drink left for him - lovely touch!
Hotel staff were very helpful. The pools are lovely with a choice of 4 non of which were busy or noisy and we had no problems at all in getting sunbeds and a parasol.
Breakfasts great and evening meals good but pricy for a family.
10 minute walk to the Puerto which was lovely and we hardly saw a sole. Puerto has about 10 restaurants and some shops (designer) and supermarket.
We stayed 4 days and didn't want to come home although I think if we'd stayed for longer I would have wanted a car to explore (roads seemed quiet)
All in all a lovely holiday where we met some nice people. Reminded me of Jumeirah Beach in Dubai on a much smaller scale but in terms of relative value I would definitely recommend for those wanting a relax by the pool, good weather, food, service, nice rooms and a good kids club too.
Teenagers may get bored if they want excitement though!

Room Tip: We had a kids room 463 but there was a slight smell of sewage if the wind blew a certain direction...
2 Thank Parky04Wales
Pablo_Rey_Rodriguez, Director General at Hesperia Lanzarote, responded to this review, December 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Hesperia Lanzarote on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services and facilities provided at the resort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back and I would like I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy Christmas and a happy New Year.

Best regards,
Longford, Ireland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hesperia hotel offered everything needed for a relaxing week's holiday. Superb location, fantastic facilities. 4 pools to relax by and food served all day. Located a short stroll away from the Marina in Puerto Calero.
Staff very helpful and friendly. Also a popular wedding venue with 4 weddings during my stay!

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and quiet. one side overlooks pools.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
#6 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
#15 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Hesperia Lanzarote? Share your experiences!