“Beautiful hotel in perfect location.”
Review of Hesperia Lanzarote

Hesperia Lanzarote
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just back from all inclusive holiday with my daughter. The hotel and location were stunning especially as the deal we got was so reasonable .I was worried about all inclusive but quality was great and service was usually good. Pool bar could have done with more staff but at end of holiday we had waiter service at our sunloungers. Room paid for was land view but we looked onto pool and could see the sea. Maybe we were just lucky but I would definately go back.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Margaret L
Write a ReviewReviews (5,234)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at the Hesperia the first time was in March 2013 and we really enjoyed both stays. This time we upgraded to a suite room 741 which was lovely the walk in shower and the spa bath were a nice touch and the views are amazing we where over looking the pool and the sea sitting on the balcony in the afternoon you get a lovely breeze. We were all inclusive and this was fine no complaints at all. I had three treatments in the spa which were wonderful and all the staff in the hotel are very nice. The harbour is about a 10 min walk and if you don't fancy the walk a taxi will cost you about 5 Euro which is nothing and once you get there you have plenty of lovely restaurants to choose from over looking some spectacular sailing boats it's a very picturesque setting. I have read most of the reviews people have put on here and most of them moan to much and expect hotels to be home from home but there not whilst you expect some standards things are not always the way we want them but the hotel does try its best and remember 5 star In England is not 5 star in Spain or in the Canaries. It is true you have to get up early to get a Sun bed but you do in most Hotels abroad but get over it is it really the ruin of your holiday if you don't get the sun bed you want. It is also true the wi if is not great but then people really you are on holiday to unwind so do your selfs a favour and just relax and go with the flow. Also people should really read what they are given to read some say all inclusive is very confusing and that the drinks that you are and aren't allowed is also confusing well it is if you can't read and it also says that Men are asked to wear long trousers and tops or shirts with sleeves in the restaurants in the evening a and you still see men with shorts being turn away (read what is says).
As I said before me and my husband had a great stay at the Hesperia from 5th July to 15 July 2013 and we will be returning in November 2013 for my birthday. We loved it and we hope you do to and you will do if you just go with the flow and enjoy yourselves at a pace the Spanish have invented its called laid back What's Your Hurry Your On Holiday. Thank You Hesperia for a great 10 days.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We are on a family holiday staying in the hesperia hotel. We have a standard room and a suite. The hotel is tired and the grounds are dirty - the pool areas never seem to be cleaned which is not pleasant. We love the resort of puerto calero and have stayed at costa calero many times before. This is our first experience of the hesperia. On balance I think that costa calero has better entertainment, cleanliness and variety of food. The food here is always pork - very little choice. Our suite is very large but on the ground floor and a little like being in a dungeon! When new I am sure it was lovely but the bathroom area smells terrible! I think both hotels need maintenance and need upgrading which is a shame because the marina is lovely but sadly the hotels don't live up to the required standard anymore - please upgrade them!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week at the end of June. We were really impressed with the hotel, the views were so pretty. We had a sea view which overlooked one of the pools as well. The room was perfect, we had a balcony, huge tv, a safe in the wardrobe and the room was quite big. No double beds, which is a bit weird, it's just two twin beds pushed together but they are much bigger than singles. We were breakfast only, the breakfast was really good.
There were 4 pools outside, only the smaller one was heated, the main one was freezing. Also there weren't really enough sunbeds seeing as we weren't even there during the school holidays and it was still really busy. People were putting towels down before breakfast and we struggled to find some on a couple of mornings.
As people have said, the marina is only a 5 minute walk away and there are loads of restaurants and cafes to choose from, the first one which is an Italian was really good. The pool bar staff were helpful and if you didn't like something they didn't charge for it.
Overall it was a great stay and we had everything we needed, I don't see why there were bad reviews on this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been to the Hesperia several times over a number of years. The setting is stunning and the rooms still lovely. However, the hotel was understaffed and there were a lot of trainees. One member of staff at the pool bar was plain rude-she did not have her name badge on-otherwise the staff were lovely. I do not understand the reviewer complaining that the staff did not speak English-we were in Spain and would you expect everyone to speak Spanish in a UK hotel? I think the level of English was totally acceptable. The problem is that the Hesperia no longer knows what it wants to be. It used to be an exclusive 5 star hotel but now it is also trying to compete in the all inclusive and family market. Hesperio the hippo does seem at odds with its old image. Also it claims it has 3 restaurants-one is only open 2 nights a week and the other seems to be devoted to weddings now. That was another annoyance-the plethora of weddings. If I hear Beyonce 'Single Ladies' one more time and the wedding disco blaring out every night I was going to scream!

Room Tip: I would always upgrade to a sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Calamity999
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Hotel is stunning, very clean, comp drink on arrival, given a wifi password (never worked), we were B&B and choice at breakfast was fantastic (I'm a fussy eater) staff were very friendly, couldn't help you enough.
And only a 20 minute drive from the airport. Cost us 20euro.

We were in room 422, and it was perfect, view of the pool, 2 seconds walk to get to the pool. Rooms were spacious and very clean. Free safe. 50" tv. Air con was ok. Rooms cleaned daily, and towels changed daily (they are a little worn)

Few bits of advice -

I missed out on a sun bed the first day as we went for breakfast at 8 am and realised every bed had gone !!! so the rest of the holiday i had to set my alarm for 6.30 am to reserve a sunbed this is common practice as you will find out.
(you have to pay 10 euro per towel upon arrival although you do get it back)

The only minor complaint i'd have is that because we weren't all inclusive it is 4 euro (we knew it be slightly expensive but not daylight robbery) just for a coke at the pool. (if you want some advice walk the 10 minutes to the harbor and buy a load in the supermarket and put them in your fridge in your room) The all inclusive cards the hotel use really does slow down service and cause queues especially at the pool bar where only got one member of staff working during the day (normally a queue 5 deep :/) this is because you've to order, give your room number, give your card, wait for the receipt, sign the receipt showing a 0 balance. what happened to the good old all inclusive band.

I'm glad we weren't all inclusive as there are some amazing restaurants in the harbor. (la portena steak house is an absolute must)

Entertainment at the hotel is a near miss.

All in all a fantastic hotel, let down by the prices for non all inclusive customers, and then having to set an alarm on a holiday just to get a sunbed.

I wouldn't bother going to puerto del carmen it is a dive, people in your face trying to get you into the restaurants or shops, and when they do leave you sat there for 20 minutes without even asking if you want a drink as there more interested in getting more people in. (safe to say we walked out, and never went there again)

Room Tip: If you want to be within a 2 second walking distance to the pool, without stairs and lifts block f i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank h4yl3yl
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Where to start all in all terrible not worth its 5 star rating more like a 2 star.

In the rooms plugs did not work, dvd player, plug sockets, lights, tv, did not work.
The whole place was under staffed so if you needed any help you would struggle to find it.
More than half the staff do not understand English so it is hard to ask for help which is terrible considering the amount of English and Irish people staying
Also at the bar the cheff was serving drinks and at another bar the bar man was cooking food....
My girlfriend ordered a fizzy drink which when poured into the glass the waitress put her finger inside to stop it from overflowing.
Also if you do not have long pants you will be told you are not allowed to eat! They will send you to Puerto Calero or Arrecife to buy some trousers before letting you in.I was told there was no where else to eat. I am suprised they do not have a shop to sell these kind of things for people that may have forgot trousers or have no other pairs....
I expected there to be a place to eat for people who do not like to wear pants in 40 degree weather.
The keys to our room constantly failed which resulted in going to reception to get new ones
Paying for all inclusive means nothing since you have to pay for 3/4 of the drinks,food and services such as the spar had to be paid for aswell.

Paying for a premium suite does not get you ANY special treatment or services no free mini bar or vip wifi no free room service, no iron or board in room you have to pay for that too.the list could go on.
It waste of money and overpriced for just a room and no service.

At the pool bar staff ignored people, instead they talked to each other and played on their phones,

Check in is at 3pm so half of your first day is wasted especially if you pay for a top room.
And on check out we were not offered any help such as bus information or if we needed a taxi... some 5 star hotel this is.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#7 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun

Been to Hesperia Lanzarote? Share your experiences!