“Great relaxing Hotel”
Review of Hesperia Lanzarote

Hesperia Lanzarote
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puerto Calero
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've just spent a week at this hotel and I must say I had a great time. The weather, the grounds and the environment were just gorgeous. I stayed in rom 513 and I had a lovely pool-sea view, and easy access to breakfast and all facilities; the room was big, the bed absolutely confortable and the hotel was overall very quite and relaxing (well it was only 25% full but still).
Breakfast was great, with a big selection and the staff was so nice that they even prepared for me gluten free cookies as I am celiac. Plenty of sun longe beds to choose from around the pools. I tried activities such as pilates and relaxation with Isabel, and I the Tibetan gongs relaxation session was something great, I really recomend it!!!! I also tried zumba classes and I had great fun!!!! People from the staff were always nice and smiling. The hotel has also a great position, you can easily walk to the Marina in few minutes, where the supermarket, some restos ( I tried the sushi one, was ok but a bit pricey) and a local market is on on Friday mornings; I also walked all the way to Puerto del Carmen (6 km, but u can also take the bus or the boat taxi to get there), which is much more touristic, more shops, chepaer and there is also a local market on Sunday mornings. But if u like walking in nature, there is also a nice track departing from the hotel going on the opposite direction of the Marina, which leads to other nice beaches and restos by the beach.
I also bought the week pass to the SPA, which I highly recommend!!! the environment is just great, so relaxing, clean and again highly qualifidies and king staff. Finally, I had dinner once at the resto of the hotel and I had a nice fish. So all in all, I have no complaints, this hotel is ideal if you are looking for a nice and relaxing week in the sun and a little treat for yourself!!!!

One last comment. if you are looking for a touristc guide to explore the island, please BEWARE of a guy called Stuart Forster. The guy advertises himself in a website called ecolifewalks.com and pretends he will oraginize your accommodation at this hotel and will take you on trips around the island while talking to you about a revolutionary phylosophy acting like a kind of "guru". Well, the guy is clearly a freak, so please don't waste your money with him as I heard two girls that were staying at the hotel had bad experiences with him.

I booked my stay directly on the hotel website and had a great service anyway!!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 513 with lovely pool and sea view plus easy access to reception-breakfast and pool...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank giovanna g
Write a ReviewReviews (5,240)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We (my partner and I plus our toddler) stayed at the hotel in late January 2013 on a half-board basis, after reading some very positive tripadvisor reviews.

The taxi from the airport was about €20, and these seem plentiful. It's about a 15 minute drive West along the coast road.

On arrival we were welcomed with glass of cava, and given assistance with our bags to our room, which was a family room on the 6th (ground) floor. We had a decent sea view, and the room was comfortable, clean and well laid out, with a large TV.

Breakfast was buffet-style, with an excellent choice of very tasty food - so much that on many days we didn't feel hungry again until late afternoon.

Dinner was a relative disappointment - it seems churlish to complain that we were served a delicious three-course meal by friendly staff, but because we had expected a dinner buffet , evening meals didn't start early enough for our three year old. Because the hotel was quite quiet (very quiet), they had decided to cancel the buffet and serve everyone on half board a three course a la carte dinner. The food was great, and with 6 or more choices for each course we were happy with it. But we were forced to buy room service several nights in order for our son to eat early enough. Had we known, we would have booked elsewhere.

On occasion we had to prompt the waiting staff to bring our food, and we were not the only guests who had this problem. We'd have laughed it off, but with a hungry toddler you would have expected them to take this into account and speed things up a bit. Not a major gripe, but it made dinner more stressful than normal.

We explained the situation at the Hotel's Guest Night (a relaxed drink in reception where staff invited us to air any concerns or complaints), and the next night they told us they had opened the pool bar kitchen til 7 so our son could be fed in a relaxed outdoor setting.

The Hesperia (kid's) Club couldn't have done more to keep our son happy and entertained. Had he been 4, we could have easily (and safely) left him in the hands of Suzana and her colleagues. As it was he was regularly visited by Hesperia the Hippo (Hotel mascot) which he still talks about now.

The hotel has 5 pools, and 4 were too cold to swim in, though in January we didn't expect it to be warm enough. Outdoor areas are clean and well maintained, and the Spa is excellent, though a little pricey for treatments.

Free wifi/internet works across the whole complex, but is limited unless you pay a €5/day upgrade fee. You can access websites, but it won't let you download email without paying.

The bill on checkout was extremely complicated, and after reading through it again on my return, I still don't fully understand it. We were leaving early on the Friday morning so I checked out on the Thursday night. However, they got the bill wrong, so at 6am I was asked to pay extra fees before we could leave - not ideal. One note of caution: watch out for reception staff selecting 'pay in GBP' on the card machine, as we were expecting our bill in euros.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to families, but slightly later in the season, and half board only if the dinner buffet is available - there are lots of great restaurants at the marina anyway. The staff are excellent, and the hotel is a great property in a nice location. Nearby (10 mins walk) is Puerto Calero marina, with a sea bus to Puerto Del Carmen. If you go to the marina be sure to take some bread to throw to the large fish in the harbour - they chase it round like footballers. We asked several people about taking the 'yellow submarine' trip, but those who had gone weren't that enthused, and the locals said it wasn't suitable for a toddler.

All in all a great break slightly marred by the dinner situation and the checkout experience, but we'd go back at a busier/warmer time of year.

Room Tip: Go for a room high up (floor 6 or 7, which are in reality ground and first floor) to maximise sea vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SimonFoz
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, these were unfounded based on our recent 7 day stay. Taxi transfer from airport and return included. Brilliant suite, the old Tvs have all been replaced. Breakfast was the most extensive joice of both hot and cold , including Cactus marmalade which was delicous.
Staff were efficient, always courteous and smiling. Ivan in particular was both efficient and helpful.Admittedly the hotel was far from full but the complaints from others seemed to relate to a different location altogether.
The hotel position is good for access along a well lit , paved but undulating pathway that takes about 10 to 12 minutes to reach the marina where there are a large range of restaurants offering a range of cuisines.

Room Tip: We had a suite as a treat, but might choose a standard room next time
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gramm256
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I booked a last minute (literally!) package to this hotel on January 3rd for five nights. We didn't have a great start because the shuttle bus took almost 90 minutes to travel from the airport to the hotel. This is because we were the last drop off and I think it is probably worth the extra money to take a taxi. So we arrived too late for the restaurant and ordered room service; the meal was terrible. However that was really the end of our bad experience (apart from the shuttle bus back to the airport). We complained to the quality manager the next morning (I think his name was Ivan). To compensate for our poor meal he gave us a complimentary meal in the La Caleta restaurant which was oustanding; certainly one of the best meals that I have ever had. The grounds of the hotel are lovely, very clean and tidy and entice you to sit down and relax. The short walk to the port area gives you access to a number of shops and restaurants. If you don't want to sit by the pool all day or shop then there are other gentle walks from the hotel over the hills and by the sea along well worn paths. We hired a car for a day and visited some of the island's attractions (don't miss the cactus garden) but you do need a map before setting out because road signs, especially at roundabouts, are in short supply. The service is a bit hit and miss but if you are there to relax and aren't in a hurry then it shouldn't be a problem. There was only one small pool that was heated and therefore swimmable but it wasn't a problem for us. I guess the other pools are only useable during the summer. We ate in the buffet restaurant on the last night but weren't impressed, personally I wouldn't book on a half board basis for this reason. The only other thing I would point out is that the "free" internet is in fact limited to web browsing and if you want to download anything such as your emails you may need to pay a daily supplement (I think it was five Euro).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deejayel
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I went just after the Xmas period with my husband and some friends for my birthday.

Good points:
1) Very clean rooms, common areas and pools
2) Very good breakfast - plenty to choose from
3) Extremely friendly staff
4) Good location- away from tourist areas (but not too far) and very quiet

Bad points:
1) My husband requested a surprise for me before arrival and had been told it was arranged. When we got to the room there was nothing. Just a little disappointing. It came in the evening after my husband complained.
2) The room was definitely not a 5 star standard - extremely old TV considering what is on the market these days, we were not happy with the standard of the toiletries and the 'air con' didn't have a heating function (or didn't work above 20 deg C) which was unfortunate since the night temperature went down to 8 deg C whilst we were there
3) The food at the TERRAZA EL DRAGO - PIANO BAR was terrible. They said a lot of the stuff on the menu was unavailable because of the Xmas period but surely a 5 star would make provisions.

On the whole we had a very good time here and will definitely be coming back with our baby in the spring. We went off season so the price we paid was perfect for what we got. I can imagine being a little disappointed if you were paying a lot more during the summer peak.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Sanchit P
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Boyfriend booked this as a surprise birthday present for me and wow!! This really is a perfect hotel!!! I don't have ANY complaints! Rooms were perfect! Bed was amazing and comfortable! Staff were the friendliest staff I have come across at any hotel! Nothing was too much for them!! At one stage my boyfriend went surfing and got stung by a jelly fish and staff even cut a bit of their aloe Vera plant for him!! Pool area is amazing!! Location is perfect, beautiful short walk to the marina!!! I only wish it was cheaper so I could book here ore often!! Thank you Hesperia... I will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank ChristyandRoss
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and New Year. Receptionists were charming and very helpful. No water or any extras in the room, even though I had said it was our anniversary and perhaps a slightly corporate feeling which we have found before in NH Hotels - very efficient with men in suits rushing all over the place. The only outside heated pool for adults was a couple of degrees too cold and the spa very busy with slippery floors. However, the location couldn't have been better with both sea and pool views, a lovely garden and a 10 minute walk by the sea along a well lit walkway to Puerto Calero and a reasonable choice of restaurants and bars as well as a supermarket. We ate in the hotel buffet the first night which was perfectly OK but not a good atmosphere and there was a very good deal on the wine at 11 euros for a bottle of house red and 2 bottles of water. The New Years Eve meal was very expensive at 150 euros each and not a well planned meal so huge wastage - the meat was a massive chunk of veal far too well cooked,totally inappropriate. The Chefs special desert was a huge chocolate concoction and people hardly touched it at that stage in the events. There was a singer, a bit of dancing, festive packets of streamers etc. and we met some other people on our table for 8 which was nice. We ate out for the other 5 nights because the other 2 hotel restaurants were not open and this had not been made clear to us. We loved the strange landscape of the island and saw most of the 7 Cesar Manrique attractions and the warm dry weather was just great. Would expect a much better food offering for an expensive
5 Star hotel - although breakfasts were excellent .

Room Tip: The corridors are very long so if you have walking difficulties make sure you are not too far from r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#7 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun

Been to Hesperia Lanzarote? Share your experiences!