“Axim Beach Hotel, a place I return to year after year”
Review of Axim Beach Hotel

Axim Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Axim
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the fifth year I have holidayed at Axim Beach Hotel. There are some years I have been here up to three times. I have also checked out most of the other resorts in the area - Ankobra, Lou Moon, Busia Beach Resort, Beyin Beach Resort, and Fanta's Folly and I have decided that in terms of the overall package - value for money, scenery, customer service - Axim Beach Hotel is my favourite. The hotel has different rooms/chalets to fit different budgets. The beach has several comfortable sun loungers which may appear a basic requirement until you visit a place like Fanta's Folly and find that there are only 2 sun loungers...

A number of people have mentioned that the food is not always as tasty as it could be...the good thing is I have seen improvements in the food since I have been coming here, and maybe because I have been coming here I have realised what the kitchen is good at making and I tend to stick at that - local food like yam chips, yam and palaver sauce, plantain and beans (aka red red) - and not so local foods like shrimp fried rice and pizza. I tend to drink fresh coconut water (I ask the bar staff to put 2 coconuts in the fridge as soon as I arrive on the beach) with malibu...

Overall I will recommend Axim Beach Resort to anyone who wants a good holiday in Ghana

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. If you're trying to save on money go for the fan rooms...but ask for the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Axim Beach Hotel property including the bungalow architecture & decor and landscaping are very thoughtfully and tastefully done. The two breathtaking ocean views makes it an ideal tropical beach get a way. Unfortunately, the hotel needs a new chef, a new menu and a new attitude and approach toward fine dining. What they call the breakfast buffet is sparse and inadequate as one is only entitled to one glass of juice, one plate of fruit and one egg, and there is very limited choice of breads and no pastries. If one desires bacon or sausage, one has to pay extra. The dinner buffet forced on us by the chef as he claimed this was the only option available at the time was horrible. Most of the dishes were tasteless..a poor attempt at continental cuisine and the food appeared to be left over from the night before. There was very little variety and only fruit for desert. We later found out that the beach grill was open until midnight and that offered a few grilled options which were fine for a late evening meal and much better then the lousy buffet. The Beach is clean, lovely..great for walks and jog and the ocean swimming was fantastic. Although the beach and scenery compensated a bit for the poor food and service, one leaves the resort feeling the frugality and stinginess of the hotel management. I doubt I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Spectacular ocean view on the rocky beach side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went to Axim on a 2 family holiday trip between Christmas and New year. After the long drive --and bit of rougher than expected stretch between Takoradi and Axim, it was great to reach our destination afternoon much anticipation just after sunset. However, the Axim beach resort has much to be desired in terms of hospitality. Upon arrival, instead of welcoming us and escorting us into our villas, we were demanded to pay the balance of the rooms in full before even seeing them!
After we insisted, the receptionist accepted for us to inspect the rooms before coming back to pay...
Then, there were 2 more surprises: one, while the rooms are tastefully decorated with local, touches..shells,Ghanaian motifs, colonial and locally made furniture, there was a plasma Tv in the master room but in both rooms of the turtle beach villa, the bathrooms are fully exposed without ceiling isolation to the rest of the room permitting anyone inthe room to hear what is going on inthe bathroom! for the price of the room, isolating the bathroom would have been a much appreciated luxury!
secondly, there seems to be some kind of scam between the beach restaurant and the main buffet restaurant. While settling our room bill , we enquirered about ordering dinner knowing that it would take time for any restaurant to prepare for our party of 8. We were not interested in a huge dinner buffet, rather wanted to order a la carte and had asked the bellhop to bring a menu. However, 2 bellhops, the receptionist and later the head chef himself insisted that the beach restaurant was closed for food orders and that we had to eat inthe buffet. It was only while eating the horrible buffet food that one of us got up to explore the beach restaurant to find that it was fully functioning! One of the buffet waiters confirmed that there was a tendency to get people to eat inthe buffet in the evenings..
Before sleeping, I had to kill 2 cockroaches...as a resident expat, I am used to this but again, not expecting to have to do it for the prices of our rooms!
The next day, there was no water and the room phone did not work. Hotel staff were responsive and came immediately to deliver water and forthe problem.
the breakfast is very mediocre as others have stated, I suppose you could pay to have a improved breakfast as sausage, bacon and other is availible at cost.
The next day we enjoyed the beach all day...discovered that the beach restaurant was not that great either. But had a wonderful dinner at Loumoon resort..just about 20 minutes drive on a very rough road.
In short, Axim beach resort is on a beautiful stretch of beach and is a lovely facility. There are small problems with the rooms but the breathtaking view from the room, clean bed, wonderful beach..made these things easy enough to overlook. Plus, there are options for food - bring your own and cook if you are in turtle beach villa with fridge and gas cooker, or get out and explore the other resorts!

Room Tip: For family villas the one just next to turtle beach villa which is smaller, has isolated toilet and...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great spot to relax. Staff is very friendly and efficient. The food is excellent but the breakfast is poor. The menu is vast but they don't have half of what is written there. Still the quality of what they have is very good. The weather was great and sea water wonderfull but have to be carefull with the waves. No doubt a place to remember

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

After staying in the worst hotel in Ghana in Axim town, based on a recommedation in Lonely Planet, I moved here and for something like 37 cedis, I think I had a room with my own bathroom in a really beautiful location. All facilities are really luxury, despite the price, although the wifi doesn't work in the rooms, and because you're out of the town you have to eat in the restaurant which is a bit expensive. Even allowing for this, I found it to be incredibly cheap - the beach is effectively private to the hotel and the girl on reception was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ciaran M
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This review is long overdue, but the fond memories of this special place are constant. This is a special place on earth. I've traveled to six continents and this small little stretch of beach and oasis tops the list. I'm forever grateful for having stayed here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Axim Beach Resort is a lovely resort. It's very affordable and offers its guests the ability to enjoy this beautiful part of Ghana on a budget. The hotel guests are very friendly and eager to help (which is a welcome change from the usual service one receives in Ghana).

The chalet was very basic, shabby chic (which isn't my preference), but by the evening I'd grown used to it. It was very clean, which was impressive. The towels are useable and you don't need to worry about sleeping on the bedsheets. I slept in an air-conditioned chalet (you can choose between air-conditioned chalets and chalets with just a fan), which worked perfectly. I slept surprisingly well.

The breakfast isn't that great. All on offer is a buffet of different porridges, a bread roll, fruit (which you can't serve yourself) and a sad little omelette. Lunch is good. I had lobster by the beach, which was overcooked, but seasoned very well. Quite delicious.

The evenings are really lovely. Each chalet has a little balcony/ veranda with a little table and two wooden chairs, which allows you to really enjoy the fresh sea breeze and the general serenity of the environment.

Lastly, there are lots of friendly cats on the resort. One literally jumped onto my lap and proceeded to rub itself against me. While I was impressed by how social it was, I could tell that cat hadn't had a bath a day in its life, so it unfortunately didn't get much love from me:-)

All in all, if you're on a budget, Axim Beach Resort is a great getaway away from Life's daily stresses.

Room Tip: I stayed in chalet 9, which was on the edge of a small cliff overlooking the beach and the ocean. Lo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Axim
Maaha Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anomabo
Akwidaa Inn
Akwidaa Inn
#1 of 1 in Akwidaa

Been to Axim Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!