“Great stopover...comfortable and relaxing”

Aux Armes de Champagne
Ranked #1 of 2 L'Epine B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Located near Chalons en Champagne in a village with a magnificent gothic church this is an ideal stopping point for those travelling between UK, Netherlands or Belgium and S France. The rooms are very well appointed and the restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Aux Armes de Champagne

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed there at the end of August for one night. Our superior room at the side of the hotel was situated away from the busy main road and was quiet and comfortable.
Both the dinner and breakfast were very good.
We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

2 nd time we have stayed here on an overnight stop between Spain & UK. A bit out of the way & involves getting through Chalons, which can be a pain. We paid for a 'superior room' this time but got exactly the same room as the first time & even though we complained were offered no discount, which we consider a bit of a ripoff when spending over €200 on a dinner for 2 people. Rooms are clean & adequate but not exactly luxurious & beds are typically cramped & uncomfortable, even for a 'sperior' room! Food can be excellent, although some dishes are better than others & the cheese trolley is terrible! Not cheap either, expect to pay over €300 for b&b + dinner.

Room Tip: Make sure you only pay for a standard room, they are all the same!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris C
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you want to be treated as an unwanted and unwelcome guest, do go and stay here!

The owner's wife snapped at us during dinner ( we asked if we could get another table, away from the kitchendoor, staff area and the cheesecart, how dare we), ignored us at breakfast and slammed the door to the diningarea loudly closed behind our 6 year old son.
We bought dishes in their store. We asked for wrappingpaper as we were travelling ( Now remember we BOUGHT dishes!) They gave me the dishes loose, I asked for something to wrap them in, I recieved a paperbag. It was clear they were not going to help me. I went to get a napkin and asked again for paper. I got a newspaper and wrapped the dishes myself, asked for the bag they had given me before. The owner's wife gave it to me by saying "take it"! I said thank you (silly me). When we all sat in the car, ready to leave, the backdoor of our car flew open and the leftover newspaper they had given me, was thrown into the car into our son's face. By the owner's wife! Needless to say we were in shock. What kind of people are these?!

There is no wifi, it works only once in a while according to the reception.
We have NEVER been treated this way. The owner's wife is far from being a respectable and professional hostess.

Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are dated, wifi does not work, no airconditioning in the rooms with 39 degrees outside. For se...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Marlies B
pfouassi, attachée de direction at Aux Armes de Champagne, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Madam,
I apologize, if at your arrival in august, we couldn't find a room "without sun"
I apologize, if in the restaurant we could'nt change the table set for five with your table set for 3
because you wanted their table
I apologize, if the sunday we coulnd't leave all the other guests in the hotel just to spend more than the 15 minutes we spent with you trying to please you wrapping the 0,50euro dish you bought in our shop
And finally I apologize if I can't accept that someone treats our hotel and restaurant staff and customers the way you did during your stay. There is a difference between service and servitude.

"The owner's wife"

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at the Aux Armes de Champagne many years ago and it was quite a gem, as I remember. The small town is dominated by the extraordinary Cathedral and the hotel has an interesting location. Our room was OK but could be much better with some renovation and updating. The restaurant was very good. The staff were pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We chose Aux Armes de Champagne due to is location on our route. Our room was wonderful and the location of the hotel across from the basilica was great. We didn't dine in the hotel but we did get a bottle of champagne and their wine list was excellent. A great choice!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We drove to Champage without a reservation and after a few "complet" B&Bs, we made our way to L'Epine and found this charming old hotel. The dinner was more expensive than we planned for, but good, and the room, while a bit dated (all pink bathroom!), was also charming. Great view of the cathedral, and we loved the retro desk fan. L'Epine was also just a nice village to spend a night and morning - I'm glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near L'Epine
Hotel D'angleterre
Logis Auberge des Moissons
Hotel Pasteur
Hotel Pasteur
#3 of 18 in Chalons-en-Champagne

Been to Aux Armes de Champagne? Share your experiences!