All reviews dining room on arrival tennis courts romantic hotel bread bedroom receptionist cosy password gravel flies april internet gem
Reviewed August 12, 2017

Supposed to be a stay to remember "romantic and refined" to be precise a celebration of our 11th anniversary... to start the story we were offered this "outstanding" gift by my partner's long standing business companions, who at the end of my partner's service of duty, wanted to extend their gratitude for 11 years of services rendered! We, due to the enormity of the gift, decided to take our time to find an abode fitting both the gift and the celebration of our relationship. What an absolute disappointment! The master of ceremonies, or should I say the "manager" of the all singing and dancing four-star-rated chateaux could neither welcome his guests nor provide the service expected of such an establishment not withstanding his pompous airs and graces. To begin with, we have absolutely no idea as to the state of his "standard" rooms as after having paid the first of many supplements we found ourselves in, his words, the "chambre comfort" 30€! In addition NO welcome cocktail however for the mighty Sum of 16€ we were served, by can on an unkempt shabby terrace, two tepid glasses of Heineken! To follow a tiny heated swimming pool filled with kids and pool toys ... a relaxation area (billiard table, tennis table, relaxation area) yes teamed with kids. Finally after resigning ourselves to a romantic dinner we were yet to be met by further disappointment! The menu included in our gift was far from tasty ... At 36€ A head 2 starters consisting for example a Gaspacho ... Well what can we say we, expecting a menu romantic we were forced to go for their menu at 52€ "Messier de Nogaret" ... What can we say ... So to begin with not mentioning the food we were served with a bottle of tepid cheap white wine ... On questioning the temperature of the said wine,, at 26€, we were told to leave it, by a non-French speaking member of staff, in a cool bag. Due to taking the more expensive menu we had the luck to receive the "mise en Bouche" with the coffee and desert. Following the mise en Bouche we then waited, until well after dark, for the rest of our food! In other words everybody else had been served and we had not yet received our starter! On requesting the service of the head of house we received a half apology but yet our starters were delivered at the same time as our main courses and the same is to be said of our deserts! Our recompense a small glass of tepid "champagne"! Not even an apology of any real kind! This experience was by far the worst of any supposed French delight ever encountered by my partner, French nationality, and myself after traveling through some of the most refined areas of France ! Thank you Chateau d'Ayres for ruining this experience for us!

Room Tip: No good room view
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
arthuroi, Owner at Chateau D'Ayres, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2018

I wonder about the differences beetween the opinions of one to another.
I swear it is the same hoteI that I offer each day in the same place
Even the location (mondial site of UNESCO) is not appealing?
So....
Perhaps I pay to get some compliments???

Reviewed July 11, 2017

Needs refurbishing. The bedroom was extremely old fashioned (not in a good way) and very tired.
The hotel still seems to be trading on a stay many years ago by General de Gaulle. This was an accolade then but is not an indication of quality in 2017.
The staff were generally good and maybe they would also like to see it improved.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Les Collectionneurs
arthuroi, Propriétaire at Chateau D'Ayres, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2017

Sorry for your desappointment.
our house is not a luxurious hotel. It is a family one.
Perhaps a misunderstanding? about the room? Did you request for a standard size one or a very large one with a a view open full on the facade?
The average of opinions are positive on trip advisor
Each year, we improve the house. But it's a long way.
With our best regards
JF DE MONTJOU

Reviewed May 24, 2017

My husband and I recently enjoyed a three night stay here. It is lovely house, full of character and well-appointed. Don't expect a bevy of plush towels, a bountiful pillows in your room- there is a nice no frills, old school hospitality at work here. Also wifi availability is spotty at best (which I loved since it enhances the 'get away' part of a vacation!). The restaurant is quite good serving traditional local dishes. We would happily return for another visit!

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2017 via mobile

A fantastic ride through beautiful stunning scenery brings you through several villages to Meyruies. Make sure you've got your sat nav as it's not too easy to find.
The Chateau is stunning as is the location not far from the village. Our room was on the 2nd floor which, in its day, would probably have been servants quarters, so the room was smaller than expected.
We threw open the windows for the lovely view but found we overlooked the car park.
However it was a comfortable room with a modern bathroom. (In my opinion the room could be much more beautiful if it were decorated closer to the original style & date of the chateau.
No internet in our room, or in the grounds even with the modem password.
Unfortunately there were too many
flies for my liking, around 30!, for which the management supplied a fly spray. The down side is having to collect the bodies, before going to bed, not wanting to squash them with bare feet!
The grounds are impressive & inviting but sadly unkempt with an indoor & (unavailable, at this time of year) outdoor pool. Children's area, horses & tennis courts.
We had tea, nice cake & beer in the front, which was sunny & very pleasant.
Charlotte greeted us very well on arrival & after she left David was exceptional. His help with translation & during dinner was essential & he couldn't do enough for us to make us feel relaxed & happy.
We were automatically booked in for dinner from 19:30 which suggests a captive audience.
Dinner was disappointing.
We waited 50 minutes before an unwanted complimentary appetiser arrived. We asked after our food 3 or 4 times before finally getting our meals. Other guests were seated after us and already had their mains. I didn't enjoy my steak, soggy asparagus, soggy slice of bread & frois gras. Dessert was fine.
We so wanted this hotel to be the gem we were expecting & I'm so disappointed it's failed to impress me.
Breakfast was the usual expected continental, in a lovely room.
But... There is one more issue I must address. I don't like the conditions two lovely Boxer dogs that are kept at the back. A small gravel enclosure, insufficient bedding & housing, obviously kept outside permanently. No one went near them the whole time we were there for a walk, let alone comfort or food. One is too thin, her ribs showing. This alone would stop me recommending the hotel, but that wouldn't be fair, hence the stars.

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank Wilb2012
Reviewed May 17, 2017

We have visited this hotel eight times in recent years, usually for 4 nights in April or early May. Every year the high standard and relaxing friendly ambience is maintained with the active and courteous participation of the proprietor.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple