“Quiet and secluded but stay at another Chateau over this one.”

Hostellerie du Chateau Les Muids
Ottawa
“Quiet and secluded but stay at another Chateau over this one.”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I’m very torn about this review. While it was a great experience staying at a Chateau in France, there were many downsides to our stay.

This hotel is off of the beaten track, which makes for a nice secluded stay. It is definitely quiet being out in the middle of the Loir Valley but it’s also not far from the local village (La-Ferte-Saint-Aubin).

The room we had was on the top level, which was difficult for taking our luggage up and down the stairs. But we expected this, so I’m not complaining. Although some help would have been nice.

The room we had was a bit old and ragged looking. The walls were slightly dirty but there were no bugs, stains, or anything like that. The rug was very worn out and a bit dirty. The bed was not very comfortable either. On the upside, the washroom was one of the best we had during our week long stay in France (at 3 different places). It was very roomy and clean!

The one major complaint that I had with this hotel was that there was an event going on the night we were there. We did not know this, which is fine. You take that risk every time you stay at a hotel. But the staff was completely focussed and devoted to it. It made the parking very difficult since there were tons of cars there. It also made it slightly difficult for us to fully enjoy the hotel and the grounds. For getting to and from our room we had to go around through a side door and when we were sitting outside enjoying a bottle of wine we got some bad looks from the staff. We were actually told that we could not eat outside on the patio (we had picked some food up from the village). We did not want to eat at the hotel given the big event going on. There are only a few options for eating in downtown La-Ferte-Saint-Aubin. We had a car so we were able to get to the village easily. Without the car, you would be a bit stuck.

I think that our stay could have been better – the service was below average. Again, it was a great experience staying at a Chateau, but given the rooms and the lack of cleanliness I would pick another Chateau to stay at over this one. We would not stay here again and we would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SaraKOttawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sussex, UK
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We decided to give this hotel another go, largely on the basis that the food was so wonderful. We stayed with 2 dogs, and also with my father in law. We arived on a baking hot day and were warmly greeted, and shown to our rooms, which were just ready. We chose the ground floor room, as it was tiled, and therefore cooler for the dogs. Father in law stayed on the first floor, where the room is carpeted.

Both rooms were pleasant enough, but unspectacular. The bathrooms had been created using the limited space available in such an historic building and were long and thin. They would really be better as shower rooms. As it was, there is a shower attachment to the bath, although the strange tap took some working out.

The chateau is a lovely building, and the public rooms are delightful (although someone on the staff is an amateur artist, and should stick to his/her day job). I had a walk around the lovely park. With dogs, this is a real blessing, as the grounds go right into the woods behind the chateau, and there is a lovely avenue of trees. Some of the trees are wonderful in their own right with at least one giant redwood.

I also used the outdoor pool, which I found really welcome on such a hot day. I have read the previous comment, but found the size was ok.

The chateau has free wifi, although this is best in the bar and salon. The signal was too weak in our room.

We had dinner on the terrace, and I was delighted that the quality of the food had not changed. The meal was expensive (I had the 50 euro menu) but wonderful, and I never begrudge an expensive meal if it is worth it. I had risotto with lobster and scallop to start, and fillet steak with fois gras as a main course. My father in law had the 35 euro menu, which was also delicious. Service was attentive and friendly without being obtrusive. The wine list is reasonable, with some very expensive stuff, but also some more modestly priced wines.

Summing up, I would say that the bedrooms are probably overpriced. There is nothing wrong with them, but they could be made much more appealing without much difficulty or expenditure. The grounds and pool are delightful, but the real treat is the food, which is some of the best I have eaten anywhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elstonian
sussex
Reviewed April 19, 2010

most beautiful hotel chateau south of Orleans in France, well appointed comfortable, good food,lovely surroundings, good service. not too expensive

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank birdsong2
yorkshire, England
Reviewed November 13, 2009

...and we have been to a few. It is actually several years since we stayed here but we were so traumatised we have only recently been able to speak about it.

Three respectable married couples - we arrived full of excitement for our chateau experience. The exterior was the best bit, the rooms were plain and rather shabby but no matter, we decided to relax on the terrace with a beer. We only had two as they were hellish expensive and the service was grudging at best. We had booked a table for dejeuner and although there was room in the main restaurant for some inexplicable reason they elected to annex us to a side room, the room was lovely so we settled down, ordered the "Menu les Muids" and waited.................and waited and waited and waited and waited. There was an early amuse bouche and then at least two hours until the starter arrived. Both the plate and the food had plainly been stood in the fridge for hours as they were set solid and too cold. Another hour and a half and then our main course steaks which been ordered "a point"( rare). These were on plates so hot they could not be touched and so overcooked they would have bounced off the walls - shame we didnt try that - when we complained to the female maitre d' (nick named Madame Fou Fou) she looked down her snotty french nose and declared that the lengthy wait was because the food was "gastronomique". HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, we have notched up several Michelin stars in our time around the globe and I can definitely confirm that burnt fillet steak is NOT gastronomique, more catastrophique.

We were booked in for three nights but decided to leave the next day, we popped out in the morning looking for better digs in town and while we were out the delightful management took the opportunity to snoop around our rooms, not sure what they were looking for. We had a blazing row with Madame Fou Fou on check out and to add insult to injury she ovecharged my credit card.

A memorable Chateau experience for all the wrong reasons.

Our alternative digs by the ways were much much nicer, lovely friendly owners, beautiful rooms and cheaper than Chateau Fou Fou. This was nine years ago but still worth a mention, I cant imagine Madame Fou Fou had kept her job but you never know. Steer clear at all costs if she is still in residence.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank seisamigos
Nottingham
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My wife and I had booked over the internet for an evening meal and as it was our anniversary a nice room, we where making our way from UK to Spain but on arrival was told no table for dinner was available, the booking agent they use had not reserved it! We were advised if we needed eat to drive to nearest village and find the only restaurant (which featured karaoke) open that evening, after 400 miles we really didn't want to get back in the car but needed to eat and was told the hotel could not help. The room was clean although basic and with large en-suite, although headroom was limited as we were allotted an attic room, I have to say all of the hotel was a little shabby and could do with refurbishing. My romantic idea of an evening at a chateau had turned into a disaster and I have to say with little sympathy from the receptionist. Think we will stick with the Ibis hotels in the future.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Poor state of repair
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Sussex, UK
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I tried to book this hotel by internet, but when after 2 days I had still received no reply, I booked by phone. The Hotel is in the depths of the Sologne, the great boggy forest south of Orleans, and about 20 minutes from the motorway. It is a very attractive, largely 18th century building. We had a warm welcome and were shown to our room on the top floor. I had booked the cheapest room for a one night stay, but at 98 euros, it is still quite expensive. The room was in the eaves of the house, quite quirky, but in need of some refreshment. On the whole, it was comfortable, with a decent-sized bathroom.

Unfortunately, the weather prevented us from exploring the attractive looking grounds, and trying the swimming pool.

The reception rooms are splendid, some being beautifully panelled and the hotel is in the process of renovation.

Dinner was 49 euros each, quite expensive, but worth every centime. It was one of the finest dinners I have enjoyed for quite a long time. I had lobster millefeuille, followed by pigeon, and my wife had a very generous serving of foie-gras, followed by a superb steak. It was beautifully presented by pleasant and helpful staff.

The wine list was quite expensive, and I settled on a Gigondas for 39 euros.

I would stay here again, if only for the superb food. It is a really nice treat.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Elstonian
Manchester, UK
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We came across this by chance. Making our way north from Ile de Re to Calais we decided to drive through the Loire valley. This chateau is slightly out of the Loire region and more towards Soligny by about 20 minutes but it is beautiful. It cost about £65 to stay there and we paid £30.00pp for a 5 course dinner which was as good if not better than some 5* restaurants and hotels. The rooms are furnished in french shabby chic style and each room is individually named. There is a small pool, but it was a bit too chilly to make use of it. The staff are warm and friendly and speak some English which was great but also encouraged us to use our limited French. Only stayed 1 night but it was excellent value for money. Set in beautiful grounds, yet just of fa main road south to north. Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Shelley G
#1 of 5 in Salbris
Logis LE PARC SOLOGNE
Logis LE PARC SOLOGNE
#3 of 5 in Salbris

Been to Hostellerie du Chateau Les Muids? Share your experiences!