“Not for someone on business travel” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Chateau & spa de la Commanderie
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Eybens
Austin
“Not for someone on business travel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am here on a business trip and I booked this hotel because it looked pretty good on the internet. Definitelynot worth the money. I canceled it and moved to a different one. Here are some things I found that disappointed me:
- no A/C - it it VERY hot in Grenoble in July and not having an A/C is not acceptable. They privide a table fan in the room which helps but it still feels clammy and I could not sleep
- Sorry but there are bugs crawling in the bathroon..this is disgusting
- The staff walk in without knocking and they can open the roon even if the deadbolt in on - not very comforting
- The phone is just a handset with 10 numbers. There is no information on how to call the reception or arrange a wake-up call (no alarm clock in the room either)
- Half the lights in the room don't work and it is kinda' dim here

As a business traveller from the US, I am already jet-lagged and need a decent room to get a good nught's rest. I guess you can call this place romantic if you want to hang ou by the pool and have a drink or two but I would not recommend it for business travellers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank AK A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

The room was big and clean with beautiful wooden floors and lovely big window that looked out across the pool.
We arrived very close to dinner time and decided to eat in the restaurant.
I am so glad that I did as it was probably the best meal I have eaten in France and was an unforgettable eating experience. The pool and gardens were a great extra !
If I'm ever in that part of France I will definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Environment is nice
New rooms are very good whereas old ones are not that great
Breakfast is very good and waitress very sympathic and helpful

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

I had the misfortune to stay here for three nights in January whilst on a business trip. This place was everything I dislike in a hotel, - inefficient, tired, staff that appeared not to care and worst of all not clean.

Arriving on a Monday night after a day of travel, I was disappointed to find the restaurant closes on Monday, I was offered a takeaway pizza which certainly didnt whet my appetite, so a 23 euro taxi back in to town for dinner and another 23 euro back to the hotel again.

The hotel is a very old property with rooms spread around several buildings, no lift (elevator) in my building and no offer of assistance with luggage, not that I needed it, but others might.

The room was not pleasant - heavy patterned curtains, heavy carpet and a bed with blanket and bedspread. The bedspread had noticeable stains on it, I dread to think where from. Pillows were very flat and clearly old. Towels were thin, stained and once again old, fit for the rubbish bin in my opinion. I wouldn't give one to my dog.

The room was dusty, a layer of dust coated the bedside radio, dust on surfaces in the room and hair in the bathroom, This is not a place that takes much care over room cleanliness. The shower head, as soon as water was turned on, rotated to a position where water sprayed over the floor. To keep the shower head fixed in position required a third arm which regrettably I am not blessed with - the solution was to jam the shower head between my lesgs whilst soaping my body - I am in a position in life when I can do without this sort of rubbish!

Breakfast - a poor implementation of a continental breakfast, ghastly scrambled eggs - generally poor and costs, I think 16 euros. One staff member tends to the buffet but she says nothing and completely ignores guests - not even a bonjour, just horribly impersonal.

The bar is poor, attended to by the single person who also manages reception, reception gets priority so you may have to wait a while!!

Photos of the pool are shown on the website for the hotel, what isn't shown is that the pool is surrounded by the carpark, not too nice for a lazy day by the pool in the sunshine.

All in all, this is a place that could be nice, it needs modernising, greater attention to cleanliness and change the staff from everything that is bad about France to people that show they actually care. Hideous place.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
commanderie, Directeur général at Chateau & spa de la Commanderie, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
I understand that the client is disappointed not to dine in our restaurant Monday evening, but this information is clearly noted on all publications. He should have known that before he booked in our hotel.
Typically, after a sharp disappointment, nothing that offers the hotel could be OK for him.
(even the outdoor pool, which in winter is not really used).

Why, in this case, in stayed 3 nights in a hotel so horrible?
No, really, this criticism is very exaggerated

Some elements of this criticism, however, are interresting, and I will check the problem of shower and friendliness of the staff in breakfast.
Honiton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We've been here several times and, on the last occasion, drove though France from the UK to specifically stay here.

The hotel is charming, the small outdoor pool a great bonus in summer and location ideal for the nearby town and mountains.

The food is very, very good with excellent service .. we particularly enjoyed the superior attitude of the sommelier (a classic caricature of a French wine waiter). Other staff were very friendly and helpful.

Other comments have mentioned that breakfast isn't included. Clearly this is important when you are on business but if on holiday I can recommend a walk to the local bars that are only a few hundred metres away.

My only adverse comment would be the lack of tea and coffee in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed here for a long weekend in one of the rooms in the annex building. The weekend we were there a big wedding took place as well, so we were a bit disturbed by the preparations and the party going on there, but it was still a very relaxing and charming place. The weather was great when we were there, so we truly enjoyed the swimming pool. The room was spacious and clean, but the bathroom could have been a bit bigger. Very good breakfast, but the dinner options were poorer, so we chose to go into Grenoble for restaurants there instead. We also tried the spa, which nobody used then as it was so warm outside, so the steam sauna and the lights in the swimming pool area were not turned on. This was a small disappointment as we would have expected everything to be more ready, and we got more a self-service feeling of it.

All in all a tranquil and relaxing, romantic get-away place. But the service could have been a bit better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

It is hard to rate this hotel. I have stayed here before and would definitely stay again. The building is beautiful and the staff I encountered were very friendly. I stayed in the new annex and the room was absolutely fine although no tea / coffee making facility. I was travelling for business so it was unfortunate when I arrived late at the hotel no food was available. The guy at front desk orded take out pizza but it was not what I was expecting when I booked this hotel, even after this they still charged us 4 euros for cokes, it might have been a nice gesture to make the complimentary. So, I retired to my room to get some urgent work done however the internet was unusably slow. The Google search page was taking over a minute to load. The whole hotel appeared to run on one adsl line, I notice from other reviews this happens regularly, it certainly made life difficult for me, next time I just wont rely on it! When checking out breakfast had been added to the bill even though I said I had not wanted it when asked at check-in and did not have it as I had to leave very early.

Overall it is a great hotel and worth staying at, just don't expect the internet to work or the restaurant to be open.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eybens
Hyper-Centre
Grand Hotel Grenoble Centre
Grand Hotel Uriage
#1 of 2 in Uriage les Bains

Been to Chateau & spa de la Commanderie? Share your experiences!