“Secluded Island Adventure Paradise”

St. George's Caye Resort
Reviewed January 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I came to the caye for 7 days and loved every moment. The first 3 days we were the only guests which was amazing; 20 staff catering to your evey need! Felt like movie stars! Then a very large group came who were filming a fishing show and we really enjoyed the company. Our main goal was to become certified divers. We completed a total of 8 dives each and loved each one! Wide variety of critters under the sea including barracuda, nurse sharks, eagle rays, sea turtles, crabs and lobsters... I missed the dolphins but the others guests managed to see some following their boat. We had an awesome lobster tail dinner with beach bonfire as well as a sandbar lunch where we saw a ray circling the group 15 feet away. We stayed in the cabana over the lagoon which was gorgeous and very clean too. One of our highlights was Sam the German shepherd who's only wish is that you throw coconuts down the beach for him to retrieve, very cute! Only downside was the cost of the drinks, not cheap at $6 US a beer, however there's lots to do to keep you busy. Definately not your typical beach resort, but for us that's exactly why we chose St George's Caye Resort!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2009

I was absolutely blown away by this resort!

It was totally private, very peaceful and relaxing. The location was unbelievable.. almost totally secluded. I was able to enjoy the beach entirely to myself; rather than having to fight with all the hundreds of other guests at typical resorts to get a good spot on the sand. It was a very surreal experience to feel like I was on my on privarte island! Never in all my world travels have I had the pleasure.

While I was there I was able to enjoy fantastic diving and snorkeling. The dive team was patient and extremely knowledgeable. The diving experience was by far the best of which I have every participated. Sooo much to see and explore!

When I travel it's usually to a busy all-inclusive resort so what a change this was. The cabanas on the seafront were a dream come true. They were quite quaint; thatched roofed.. very authentic and comfortable. I enjoyed waking up each morning to sit on the porch and enjoy some R&R with a side of coffee and cookies that we left outside my door shortly before I awoke. It was wonderful!

But the staff was definitely the icing on the cake at this resort! Second to none. Not only were they incredibly friendly, they eagerly anticipated my every need and want... before I was aware of it myself! English is the official language in Belize, which was a huge relief since my Spanish is not the greatest. This was a very welcome change for me!

The food at the restaurant was amazing. Always deliciously, fresh and varied. They even catered to my dietary restriction of not eating red meat.

It was such a great getaway, I cannot wait to return!! Soon, I hope.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2009

St. George's Caye Resort is nestled on the incredibly historically important (for Belize) St. George's Caye, on the Caribbean Sea in Belize. Our first encounter with the management found them to be highly professional, prompt, friendly and helpful. We live in Belize and so this was only a quick visit. We were collected from the Princess Hotel marina in Belize City on a gorgeous boat that exudes luxury and starts the trip off with that truly 'pampered' feeling. The captain was charming and skilled, ensuring our comfort and then taking us on a fast and smooth ride until we arrived quickly (15 minute boat ride) at the resort. The manager was there to greet us in her typically warm and friendly manner and we were shown to our cute lagoon side cabana. The lagoon side cabanas overlook a wide expanse of water, which really is less of a lagoon and more an extension of the Caribbean Sea, which you can see from the lagoon side, just by looking over your shoulder, as the island is so small. The cabins are rustic in the sense that they are built with traditional Belizean hardwoods with authentic thatch roofs, but they are also very boutiquey chic with great attention to detail. Good water pressure, fabulous toiletries and comfortable robes are all part of those little things that help to make you feel cared for by your hosts.

As we were there on business, we didn't have time to participate in the many water activities available, though after hearing about things like diving with dolphins and the amazing fishing, we would hope we can return to enjoy those things. We did get the pleasure of the spectacular views, spent time in the gorgeous and well serviced conference room as well as getting to know the staff, manager and very hospitable owners. They were all great company and we can only say that they made the visit just that much more special.

The food was excellent and the service discreet to the extent that the staff resembled magical elves. Home made cookies even found their way into our room when we weren't looking.

St. George's Caye is secluded, quiet and private. There is an abundance of wildlife and marine life to enjoy and you never know what you might see on walks along the beach. We would highly recommend St. George's Caye to anyone looking for a romantic get away, fisher folk seeking a full on fishing experience on one of the nicest fishing boats we've seen in Belize, divers who want an opportunity to access unique diving experiences that only Belize has to offer or businesses looking for a perfect corporate retreat with few distractions in an inspiring and nature filled environment, but with all of those little luxurious extras.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank collyk
Reviewed October 25, 2009

From unreal diving, great rooms and such a private setting this trip was great!
The staff and location made the trip for all of us, and Sam !!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed here with my best friend almost a year ago and we had a fantastic time. We had one of the cabana rooms that is above the water in the ocean and it was so cute, it was like we had our own studio apt. and you could hear the water lapping below. This was both of our first experience with all inclusive resorts, so I'm afraid my review may not be as valuable as others here. However there were a few things I wish I had known before going, so I'll list my experiences here and you all can take or leave what you like. Bring your bug spray as there are lots of sand flies, not the fault of the resort, just the tropical location. That was our biggest newbie mistake.

PROS:
- Breakfast juice/coffee was delivered to the room every morning, early enough that it was always there when I woke up (and I'm an early riser!), it rained a lot in the morning and we loved drinking the oj and coffee/tea and watching the rain under the covered porch/balcony before heading over to breakfast. I love having a quiet and slow morning routine so this was one of my favorite parts of the resort.
- comfy, huge bed and soft bed linens/towels. We also had soap/shampoo/conditioner whenever we needed it.
-free wifi in the common building/bar area. I understand not all resorts have this and it was a much appreciated feature.
-it was close enough to local attractions like the aquarium (you have to pay to get in but it is AWESOME) and some historical artifacts/sites that are just out on the road for you to view as you take a long walk. Nice to see some of the local architecture on the way there too.
- Nice places to sit near the beach and pool as well. There were two hammocks by the pool that became our favorite place to relax in the afternoons.
- the staff was always friendly and welcoming, and was constantly working hard to make sure we were entertained, which wasn't hard, I mean, you're in a gorgeous location and there's a pool, kayaks and hammocks, what more do you need?
-Mini boardwalk outside the cabanas where we stayed, you could walk along it out into the water and look at the fish, etc. swimming underneath. We even saw a seahorse!
- my friend did the diving program with Jose, and loved every minute of it. They also let me go on the dive boat with him when he had his first dive even though I wasn't diving, which was great as many places don't allow that.

CONS:
-drinks are not included. We thought we'd be drinking a lot more (my friend booked everything so I didn't know this before we got there), but once we got there the price of the drinks turned us off so we were pretty much sober the whole time. Read the resort info card when you get there, it says there is one drink which is free if you order it at dinner.
- the food was ok, but not amazing. There was no menu/options, you had to eat whatever the chef was making that night, at a set time. I often felt hungry between mealtimes. Almost all of the food was good, but not great, and I kept wishing I could choose between at least one other option. Maybe this was because we were the only ones there that week but I got the feeling it was always like this. Also the man introducing the food before each course, while he seemed really nice, also seemed really uncomfortable with this aspect of the job and would stutter and stammer his way through the introductions.
-we were the only ones at the resort all week, which was really to be fair a mix of pro and con. It was fantastic to have the equipment and everything all to ourselves and it was blissfully quiet. It also made it so that we ate dinner with the owners every night, which wasn't necessarily bad as they were really nice and told fun stories, but sometimes got a bit awkward as there was no privacy or "quiet time" during the meal.
-the staff was a bit over-friendly at times bordering on pushy, when they tried to engage me in the activity. I put this in the singular because the only actual land activity at the resort it seemed was the beach volleyball game the staff plays in the late afternoon before dinner. I played the first night to be a good sport but it isn't really my thing so I would spend that time having quiet time by myself, which I loved. However, the staff seemed to take my opting out after the first day as an indication that I wasn't having a good time, and would constantly nag me about rejoining the game, and no amount of polite "no, thank you, I'm enjoying the time by myself" seemed to dissuade them. This also may have been a bad side-effect of us being the only ones there. I'm sure they were just trying to be friendly, but I wish the reassurance that I was happier to have quiet time on my own the first time had been enough.
- beach wasn't a real swim/wade beach, it's covered in seaweed and is pretty dark colored, not your ideal caribbean beach bum setting. When we were there they said they were in the process of improving the beach and removing the seaweed, so this may have happened by now.

Overall it was a great trip and we had a really good time, the island is beautiful and quiet. I don't think I'll go back to this resort as I would rather go someplace with better beaches, included drinks in the price, and menu options. If you want a romantic getaway with luxury this probably isn't the place, but if you're with a group of friends who want to learn to scuba dive without a lot of frills or just want to see a new interesting place with a lot of history this is a good option.

Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
9  Thank BrooklynLMSW
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Having only done the Hawaii big resort type dives, I thought that we had died and gone to heaven when we discovered this place. The most beautiful resort with the perfect mix of "island rustic" and luxury. Darling little cabanas with the ocean just steps away. The food was wonderful, including fresh catch off the dock and I loved the little drinks named after all the guests! Very personal! They also have a spa that has the greatest products ( which bring back memories of Belize every time I use them). I had four massages and each one was better than the last. The diving in itself is indescribable. Usually, I am such a stickler as to direction and whereabouts of the boat, but here I just lost myself in the incredible underwater scenery and let the dive master take us into the most unbelievable places imaginable. This place is definitely a find. We are planning to return again in January with a few of our friends.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2009

It was wonderful arriving at the island and seeing the beach and the beautiful cabanas. We greeted at the dock and given a personal tour and information for our stay. Our intention for this holiday was to relax and that is exactly what we did. We spent most of our time laying on the beach and playing with Sam, who we loved.
There is a small aquarium on the island that the resort staff had told us about. We decided to visit it on one of our walks and were surprised at how lovely it was. The little boy who gave us the tour was amazing, we recommend that you take the time to visit and we were impressed the resort mentioned it.
We were upgraded to an ocean front cabana when we arrived which is right on the beach. My husband loved sitting on the balcony, enjoying his morning coffee and reading his book, while I took over the provided hammock. The cabana windows have screens so you are able to open the windows and let the breeze in, we hardly used the air conditioner. The bathroom is small with a sink and shower, soft towels with additional towels for the beach. The cabana is kept clean and at night you get more treats, but we hardly touched them as we were stuffed from dinner, but kept them in our mini-bar for a morning indulgence.
The food was great from breakfast to dinner. At dinner, there are fresh buns, healthy soups and the dinner plate was full, it was the perfect amount for my husband. The desserts were hard to refuse. It was a lot of fun to sit with the other guests and get to know them a little. There is an option for a private dinner in the gardens, but we liked to chat with the other guests and the owners. On our last night we had dinner on the beach with a fire and BBQ, we sat and gazed at the stars before going to bed.
We are certified divers, so we decided to spend one morning in the water. The staff was great, taking good care of us. We had spent some time on live aboard boats and were not used to the amount of care Jose and his crew provided. The boat is large and equipped with a bathroom and two levels. There was a bit of a smell from the diesel but it did not affect us. The water was clear, we spotted a turtle and the reef seemed healthier than what we had seen in other countries.
But mostly, we split our time between the beach and pool and we were glad to see the pool was a decent size. We were able to swim lengths for our morning exercise; we would have like to some more exercise equipment to be available, but it didn’t matter. We are avid kayakers at home so we spent most of our mornings kayaking around the island and into the channels between the mangroves.
The resort provided pick up and drop off to the airport so we felt completely relaxed when we left with no worries. We found the resort to be a wonderful location and would recommend it to travelers who want a new experience and a true break.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Blackbird Caye Resort
Blackbird Caye Resort
#3 of 3 in Turneffe Island

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!