I was a frequent visitor to St. George's Caye Lodge in the late 80's/early 90's when it was under different ownership. The diving was excellent and the owner and staff very friendly. I knew the ownership had changed but I was hopeful the diving had remained great so I took my family of 5 down so our adult children could get certified for diving. Unfortunately, sometimes you can't go home again!
The reef has suffered greatly in the past several years. The area has been over-fished and very polluted due to the 400,000 cruise-ship passages who now make their way to Belize. The visibility is poor and the reef has really been trashed. We've gone diving all over the world and this place used to be great - but no more. We made two trips to Turneffe Island an hour away, where the diving is much better (still not great as in years past) but it's an additional charge.
The new owners are rude and unfriendly. They have no experience in the hospitality industry and it shows. There were 8 - 9 people total at the resort while we were there (we were 5 of the 8/9) and yet the owner sat at the communal dining table with us for four days and never spoke a word to us. Finally I went over and introduced myself. His wife/co-owner is overbearing and as the kids said [--] She berated the staff in front of us repeatedly. The staff is fantastic! They were the high-light of the trip. Jose, the dive master, has been at the resort for 13 years - trained under the previous owner. He is very knowledgeable, friendly and gracious - as was all the staff. It's the new owners who are the problem.
The meals were marginal with very limited variety. The resort advertises it has "waverunners" and "windsurfers" available but this is not true. They advertise a hot-tub but it is not available to guests. There are a couple Hobie-cats, which Jose graciously took us out on and kayaks. Diving, snorkeling and some off-site trips are available at an extra charge. You can't go in the water off the beach. For this kind of money, if it's a relaxing, upscale Caribbean resort you are looking for - this is not it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. George’s Caye Resort is a secluded paradise located on a private residence island just seven miles from Belize City. Accessible only by boat, St. George’s Caye feels miles away from everyday life thanks to its cozy cabanas, breathtaking views of the Caribbean, and the highest level of service in Belize. Divers, anglers and those looking to just get away from it all will find everything they desire at St. George’s Caye Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your St. George's Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. George`s Caye Hotel St. George`s Caye
- St Georges Caye Hotel
- St. George's Caye Resort Belize/Belize Cayes