“This place changed my life!”

St. George's Caye Resort
Reviewed August 17, 2014

My husband and I got married in February at St George's Caye Resort. It was magical! The staff were so wonderful and pampered and spoiled us rotten. We stayed in an ocean front cabana (#9), the breeze was good and close to the bar/dining area but still very intimate and private. We stayed for 10 days, 9 nights and spent most of our days enjoying cocktails, lounging, swimming, kayaking, exploring, relaxing in hammocks, etc. A few family and friends came and they all really loved it too. The massages were amazing! We only did one excursion (San Pedro Slam) but it was a blast! We just bought our flights for our second trip back to stay at St George for our anniversary. The food was incredible too!!!! I can't wait to get back there in 6 months!

Room Tip: Ocean front cabanas are best, good breeze and closer to the bar.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo D
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2015

Jo, thank you for sharing. This place changed my life too. We are so pleased to have had the opportunity to get you started on your marriage. See you next year!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

As a dive professional with 30 years of diving experience, I would recommend St George's Caye resort over any other resort in Belize, or anywhere else on the Caribbean Central America Coast.

St George's was the first of two professional dive resorts in Belize, and they chose the best Belize had to offer in picking this site. The resort has a long history of providing quality dive experiences to the discriminating diver. It is 20 minutes from Belize city, so easy to get to the resort, and back to the attractions offered on the mainland. There are over 300 dive sites close by, and it is easy to get over the reef and to the best sites.

The resort itself is classy, secluded and private. If you have ever been to the "big dive destinations" like Cozumel or Ambergris Caye, you know that dive trips consist of a mega hotel with cafeteria food, a water bus ride to a close by site which is only as difficult as the least experienced diver can handle, 20 minute bottom time and back to the boat.

My experience at St Georges Caye was custom tailored to my experience level, and epic. Jose has been diving at the resort for 20 years, and learned from a legend in the diving world. The diving there knocked my socks off. It was impossible to edit down all the terrific underwater video we shot.

The resort itself was a close knit family experience where we all dined together every night. We were the only divers there at that particular time, so it was fun to share stories around the table every night about everyone's day. The cook was new, and she put her heart into delicious family meals. The night we asked her to come up so we could applaud that evening dinner brought a few tears out. I will forward out a copy of my dive video, so you can contact the owner to see for yourself.

Jim and Carla

Room Tip: Chose the bungalows. They are rustic but romantic.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James S

Jim, thank you for sharing your diving experience with us and others. We are very fortunate to have the best location as well as the best dive professionals to take care of our diving guests and those who wish to learn SCUBA.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We loved our trip to St. George Caye. They picked us up at the airport in Belize City and drove us straight to the marina where a boat was waiting for us. It's a short 20 minute ride out to St. George (Ambergis Caye can take up 90-120 minutes in a boat) and Barry was waiting for us on the dock. All our bags were taken to our room while we enjoyed a rum punch and got a quick tour.

We stayed on the windward/ocean side so there was always a great breeze. The rooms were cozy with a small fridge, AC (we never turned it on), mosquito net around the bed, ceiling fan, and a nice sized bathroom. We had our own porch with hammock and every morning they would leave coffee and fresh squeezed juice. The food was delicious with a good mix of Beliziean, Mexican, and Guatemalan influence. One night they made everyone amazing filet mignon cooked to order (it was a guest's birthday and that was his request) and other nights we had spider crab or beach BBQ around a bonfire. For dinner there was always a soup/salad and appetizer, main course and dessert - too much food sometimes, but it was all so good. Also, if you had any food allergies they would always make you something else. We would go fishing and anything we caught they would cook up later that day for us and the group. The family style dining was great for conversation and sharing of everyone's adventures.

The staff were amazing. Santiago was always helpful and he would go above and beyond to make your experience relaxing - and he makes a killer caiprihina. We went diving with Freddy and Jose - they were both terrific dive instructors who were quick to point out fish, rays, eels, coral, sponges, turtles etc. The diving was exceptional! Rebecca always had our room cleaned and oderly with clean towels and sheets daily. If you wanted to go on a tour of the Mayan ruins, fishing expedition, cave tubing etc. they would arrange everything for you. They really work hard to make sure you have the best possible experience.

There are no TVs (which I think is a good thing), but there is wireless in the main lodge so if you need to stay connected you can...but this is a great place to leave everything behind and enjoy the island life. There are sail boats and kayaks to take out whenever you want, they have all the dive/snorkel equipment for you and there is a swimming pool if that's more your style.

I hope we can come back next year!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the ocean side. The views are amazing everywhere, but it's nicer w...
9  Thank Mandy M
Reviewed June 23, 2014

For my birthday my wife surprised me with a week of diving at St. George's Caye Resort. We were met at the dock with drinks where we handed our gear to Dive Master Freddy and from then on it was ready and on the boat for every dive.

The morning coffee delivered to our ocean view cabana was a luxury. No hurry and no pressure put us on island time quickly. Barry and the staff made us feel right at home from day one and the happy hour and meals with other guests was the perfect amount of socializing. The chef even surprised me with a birthday cake which we all enjoyed immensely.

The diving was the highlight of the trip. With small dive groups, usually 2 or 3 divers and the guide, we visited numerous sites and always saw something different. The magical moment that will always be in my memory was the day we met the dolphins. At our decompression stop we were startled to see 2 large fish approaching, then circling us. They turned out to be playful dolphins checking us out. They seemed very pleased to see us and remained by the line for the entire wait time. It was fantastic.

St. George's Caye Resort has everything to offer the traveler longing for a quiet atmosphere, comfortable surroundings and a lovely island. Bottom line-best birthday ever. Jim Hall

Room Tip: Ocean view cabanas get the best breezes when having coffee on the porch.
3  Thank ronicahall1119
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at St. Georges and it was perfect. We spent our first night in Belize City in order to go to one of the Mayan ruins before we went to the island. A driver from the Island picked us up at the bed and breakfast we stayed at and took us to the dock to catch the boat to St. George's. Once we were on the island it was time to relax. The staff went above and beyond to make our trip perfect especially Santiago and Theresa. My husband enjoyed fishing off the docks and they were always offering to provide us with bait and supplies. The food was wonderful and we enjoyed the family style dinning. Our rooms were always cleaned and tidied up while we were at breakfast. They arranged our fishing and snorkeling trips and everything was so easy. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great place to enjoy some snorkeling, diving, kayaking and relaxing.

2  Thank Whitley A
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed at St. George's over spring break for a study abroad trip in March 2012 and it was an amazing experience. The staff are some of the nicest and down to Earth people I've met and the scenery was absolutely amazing. The food is family-style and was all natural and organic as well as tasty. There were only a few items which I wouldn't normally eat, but by the time dinner rolled around I was so hungry from having so much fun I would eat it and be glad I did.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2014

While I cannot say our visit was not enjoyable, I feel that people should be aware of exactly what they are purchasing before booking this resort. It was beautiful, quiet and serene, and several days we had the beach completely to ourselves. That being said, I can hardly call this place a resort. Church camp continually came to mind, as meals were very structured, at set times, and without options (except for breakfast). Like it or don't eat, and the "snack bar" had chips or popcorn. There is a $150.00 fee round trip to go Belize City, so dining elsewhere is out of the question. The room amenities are straight out of Motel 6, from linens to nonexistent water pressure in the tiniest of shower stalls. One side of the island is too muddy to wade out and swim, and the other side is clean, but saw a Crocodile there day one, so opted not to swim at all. All the other couples stuck to the pool. Free rum punch every day means ONE, and after being greeted at the dock on arrival, drinks will not come to you. Everyone there was very nice, but the staff is minimal, so the bartender becomes a server at mealtime and you'll be drinking water from the communal pitcher. We enjoyed the excursions immensely, and the privacy was unbelievable, but I cannot say I would visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
17  Thank JackandJudi

We are very sorry that St. George's did not meet your expectations. We try to convey the facilities and experience through our extensive website, and based on other guests' feedback we seem to do so pretty effectively. We have added many photos to our website since your visit in order to even more thoroughly show others what to expect.

Even though our facility is not what you prefer, we are very happy that you loved the service and the excursions - a good introduction to Belize.

For future visitors, we do recommend exploring our website and contacting us if you have any questions or concerns prior to making your reservation. We are committed to wonderful experiences in Belize for all guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's Caye
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Athens Gate Beach Resort
#3 of 54 in San Pedro
Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!