“Great stay and great diving”

St. George's Caye Resort
Murphys, California
“Great stay and great diving”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very good food and lodging. The dive boats and staff are top notch. We were a group of 11 friends and had a very enjoyable time. The resort was the outstanding feature. The diving was OK, but no shore diving, or nearby snorkeling. Trip to the mainland to see Mayan ruins was spectacular!

Room Tip: Do not stay on lee side of island, too hot and no breeze.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was our second trip to a Belizean Caye in the past 30 months. This time we stayed at St. George's Caye as it did not require an additional flight once we landed in Belize City. We were greeted at the airport by a friendly driver who quickly took us to the docks were you take a 25 minute boat ride to the island.

The island was significantly larger than the resort we had earlier visited and includes several private homes. The resort itself is small and friendly. The total number of guests during our week stay varied from 4 to 18. We booked an over the water Cabana that had a beautiful view of the sunset but there was very little air that moves on that side of the island. The rooms are air conditioned so they were comfortable but we like to sit outside and we were not able to do so comfortably. We moved to a beach front room on day 3 and there was a really nice breeze that blew every night making relaxing on the roomy front porch of our cabana sipping wine very enjoyable.

The staff was courteous and friendly. English is the primary language in Belize so communication is never a problem. There are many items that are included in your stay...I really enjoyed using the Hobie Cats to go sailing. One afternoon,my wife and I passed directly over a pod of manatees about 300 yards from shore. I am not a diver, but the divers there indicated it was a great location to do so if you are not afraid of drowning like me. :-)

The meals are included in your room fee and served at the main building where you sit with the other guests. The food was above average for these type of resorts with a good variety. We had a vegan guest that they accommodated at each meal. The bar is well stocked and they have a good variety of specialty drinks. It should be noted that the bar in not included in your room fees and if you are like me on vacation it can add up pretty quickly.

My only negative comment is that while they have built a beach to relax on it is really not a "swimming" beach. Once in the water you will quickly sink to your ankles in mud and silt. As someone who loves the beaches of Tulum this fell well short of that standard.

Overall, this was a great place to go relax and enjoy superior service and facilities. We will go back again and soon.

Room Tip: The above the water cabanas were a little disappointing as you are more over sand than water. But t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gibbons63
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, April 20, 2015
Thank you for choosing St. George's Caye this visit. Just a note to other travelers to see my comments about our new swimming beach - we now have it all for our guests! Thank you for the feedback.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I recently spent a week at the St. George's Caye Resort and was very very impressed. The setting is spectacular. This all inclusive resort has it all. The food was excellent and the staff very very helpful. I was especially impressed with their dive program and dive master. The resort is only minutes from the reef and offered a whole range of dive/snorkel options that I felt comfortable with. I can't wait to get back there.

Room Tip: The bay side cabanas have a wonderful sunset.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Pat M
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband surprised me with this trip to this amazing island and it FAR exceeded my expectations! I knew nothing till right before and I told him I wanted quiet, beautiful and secluded. Wow is all I could say for almost a day! We had a cabana over the water and the sunsets were breath taking along with being able to just jump right into the water with the most beautiful fish. They had group dinners and at first I was thinking "I'm not sure about this" then we got the chance to meet so many sweet, nice and interesting people! Our room always looked great. Our food was so good we couldn't wait for the next meal. It was the best place in the world to us and we love to call it "our island cause we will be back" we did the Myan tour where the driver Cornell knew I wanted to see a monkey and let me feed one, we snorkeled we went on the kayak, and sailed in a Hobie Cat where we saw dolphins, a manatee I did get on video. The bar staff was so nice and everybody that was there was on cloud nine. Just a terrific place to go get away and leave your troubles behind. If there's a problem tell the management they are 100% willing to fix any concerns. I would continue and have in person, I just can not give this place enough credit.

Room Tip: Bring an underwater camera, a great attitude, and get ready to relax!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
"Amazing Honeymoon" Every couple should have one - thank you for sharing with us.
Reviewed May 17, 2014

My son and I decided to try scuba diving. We had heard that St. George Caye Resort offered a more one on one experience than some of the other locations. We took our classroom and pool classes at home and our open water dives with Jose and Freddie, our dive instructors from the resort. What a fabulous experience, Jose and Freddie made us feel so safe and comfortable. The resort was rustic and laidback. We woke up early and only had to walk out on our porch to enjoy coffee and juice that was delivered there by 6am. What a great tranquil way to start your day!!! We completed 2 to 3 dives each day and then relax the rest of the day. I loved being on a remote island but still had the opportunity to attend other adventures off the island. We stayed in the Ocean Front Cabana that was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The meals took place at the lodge where we enjoyed the company of the other guests. If you wanted to take your meal to your Cabana that was available also upon request. The staff was so accommodating: Santiago, Melvin, Theresa, Barry, Ivan, to name a few that bent over backwards to make every request possible and always addressed us by name. I also had the most amazing massage. I would definitely recommend the women who does the massages (sorry I can't remember her name) she is truly incredible!
The view from our cabana was so amazing and peaceful sitting on our porch looking out at the ocean. It was a perfect vacation for me and even after 7 days I was not ready to leave. Even though my husband does not dive I can't wait to share this remote island with him...I will be going back! In my opinion if you did not have a great time at this location you probably would find fault with anywhere you go. Adventure is what you make of it and Captain Ron supplies many opportunities.

Room Tip: Ocean Front
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbara A
Thank you for acknowledging the quality service our team provides, and thank you for sharing.
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We wanted something quieter for our honeymoon and our expectations were far exceeded. From the personal, friendly service of all the staff, including Theresa, Melvin, Santiago and Ivan to the boat driver, cleaning staff, fishing guides, masseuse, etc., everyone calls you by your name and makes you feel at ease and at home. The staff is accommodating to any request you have. From the adventures like fishing, snorkeling, diving and Mayan Ruins, etc., to the abundance of both sea and land life, your days are full! We had the saltwater pool all to ourself every time we went (3-4 times) and that is priceless and something you will not get at the party resorts. It is laid back, it is rustic, it is everything we wanted for our honeymoon. We didn't miss our tv, laptop or cell phone one time. If you want to disconnect, relax, have adventures and feel like your part of the family this is definitely the place to go! We will be going back!!! Soon! Loved the place and loved the people! The Hortons

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Horton2014
We are so pleased that you had the Honeymoon of your dreams. Thank you for sharing time in paradise with us.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon a few years ago (Aug 2011) and were lured by the gorgeous pictures and the sense that we were in store for great luxury. The beach was nice to look at but the sea was not comfortably accessible. We took a kayak out multiple times looking for the reef without any luck. Seems like that is a problem several guests have had. Also, I wanted to echo the comments made about the communal meal. As a honeymooning couple, we weren't looking to make new friends but wanted quality time together. The group meals with sub-par food (including a cool-whip dessert!) got in the way of that. We had stayed in the coppola resorts earlier in the trip and found the level of luxury, food, attentiveness to guest interests and needs far more suitable to the price point. As for the pool, we were at St. George's during low season so there was nobody on staff serving drinks or handing out towels by the small pool. The management did their best to make our stay enjoyable but when we tried to get off the island a day earlier than expected due to poor sleep in our cabin which was hot and humid (with a very noisy airconditioner), they insisted that they would charge us for the night we wouldn't be staying. Despite the appealing pictures, we would have been better off spending more time in Ambergis, where we were really able to relax.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FrustratedHmooner
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
This reviewer states that they visited THREE years ago - a little tough to respond to criticism after 3 years. Unfortunately this couple did not have the advantages of 1) our lowered cabana rates, 2) our new swimming beach, 3) our great chef who has been with us almost 2 years and receives glowing reviews, and 4) our remodeled Overwater Cabanas with gorgeous dropped ceilings that make for cool, comfortable sleeping. And we are always happy to provide a private table for couples (and groups), so it's sad when someone doesn't make their wishes known while at the resort, but chooses to complain after they leave. We have addressed all of these issues and we are very happy to have the highly satisfied guests who are kind enough to provide feedback on their thoroughly enjoyable vacations at St. George's. Our five-star service staff is unsurpassed, and we invite everyone to visit and enjoy the experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's Caye
#1 of 1 in Burrell Boom
Island Magic Beach Resort
Island Magic Beach Resort
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!