“Great Trip!!!!”

St. George's Caye Resort
Plainsboro, New Jersey
“Great Trip!!!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Really enjoyed spending our honeymoon at St Georges Caye resort. The location was perfect, felt the private island experience. Beautiful wood cabana with thatch roofs. So many birds and fish and hermit crabs! We had so much fun kayaking to the mangroves and hobiecat sailing. (if you dont know how to sail, they will teach you!) There isnt a fitness area but you can always run or swim everyday. Never went hungry. The chef cooked some amazing food! The resort accommodated to my dietary needs. Staff was extremely attentive and entertaining. Best tour guides ever, on land and in the water. The other guests were fun to eat and hang out with, everyone got along very well and we had a lot of great laughs.

The cabanas by the dock are warmer than the ones facing the bench. I didn't really get the "over the water" experience I was hoping for. But I still had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend this resort to our friends and family.

Be prepared to spend a little bit of money if you decide to do the excursions. Our tours were small groups of people (other guests) so you dont feel like youre in a herd. Won't find this if you go on a cruise. Definitely do the zip line and cave tubing! It was the best excursion there.

Room Tip: Pick the beach cabanas! They are cooler and quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your vacation review. And by all means bring your family and friends.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Forestville, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My second trip to St. George's Caye was even nicer than the first! I didn't realize until I was there (80 degrees in February) how much I needed to "get away from it all". I spent several of my precious vacation days doing nothing except reading, lying by the pool and taking slow and easy kayak paddles around the island. Since the meals (great! by the way) were taken care of, the lack of any responsibilities or cares was wonderful. I did, however, also spend time snorkeling at the reef, doing a day trip to Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye, plus had some adventures on mainland tours. This was a great balance of relaxation and activity. I commend the staff--each of them was great, and so aware of each guest's vacation style, preferences and needs. I will return!

Room Tip: Oh, those ocean-front cabanas!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank 1950Jan
Jan, thank you for sharing how great St. George's Caye was for you. You are so right that our staff helps each guest and group enjoy the vacation they wish to have. As we say, "Design your own paradise!" We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed February 25, 2014

If you want time to reconnect with your wife or yourself this is the place. Gorgeous tropical island beautiful emerald ocean with thatch huts. The food was great, service was excellent just a unique place to get away to. I fished everyday and caught many barracuda out of the Kayak with top water lures it was a blast. Saw manatees,dolphins even a croc.

Room Tip: Each area has its plus and minuses the huts facing the west over the water has magnificent views of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Tommy, thank you for visiting us and thank you for sharing your experience. Relaxation comes naturally at St. George's.
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My first trip to St. George Caye turned out to be our best vacation ever. The staff is unbelievably friendly, helpful, hard working and so very concerned about your experience. No high pressure. This place has it all. If you just want to relax, you can. If you want adventure, this place has it all. Cave tubing, Diving, snorkeling.
From the moment they picked us up at the Belize Airport until they delivered us back to the airport a week later, their only goal was our enjoyment. Can't wait to go back.
The wife and i aren't as agile as some of the other guest so Ivan and his staff made sure we didn't miss out on the fun.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the extraordinary efforts of Santiago, Melvin, Teresa and Freddy for making our stay so memorable.
We'll go back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: The beach front Cabanas are super. Nice breeze and sunrise view over the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Art S
Art, we loved having you and your friends at St. George's Caye. So happy that I was on the island during your visit. It's also my favorite place! Thank you.
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a quiet place to relax this is the place to go. The staff are great and make you feel like part of the family from the minute you arrive. The cabanas are very unique and comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the meals, food quality was excellent, our compliments to the chef! Any tours we wanted to go on were planned from the resort which made things very easy for us. Most of the time the groups are small with personal attention from the guides that accompanied us. The days we chose to stay at the resort were perfect. I must say it was hard to say good bye.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nonnaopa
Thank you for sharing your experience. Your enthusiastic endorsement keeps us going!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm a little late in writing this but back in November my husband and I went to Belize for our honeymoon and rather than staying in one central location, we went to 4 different locations throughout our 2 week stay. The last place we stayed was at St. George's Caye Resort and it was the perfect way to end an already amazing trip! It was nothing like the other places we had been, largely because the island is the resort! Sure there were some homes on the island as well but for the most part the resort takes over the whole island. We were greeted with a delicious rum punch as soon as we arrived and were given a tour of nothing short of paradise! We had our adorable bungalow over the water with hammock and chairs to relax in. This is definitely meant for rest and relaxation, with a touch of romance, so don't come here if you're looking to get wild and crazy.

Your time there is really what you make of it. You have the option to go kayaking (we did and saw a manatee pop it head out of the water!), snorkeling, fishing, scuba diving, or you can just relax by the water with a good book. Beyond kayaking, we also did scuba diving, which the resort is known for. I had never gone diving before and while my husband had done it a lot as a kid, he needed a refresher. I was TERRIFIED! Luckily, Jose was an amazing teacher, that was extremely patient and a pleasure to dive with. He took us in the pool to get acquainted with the gear and breathing under water and then later that day I went on my first dive. He stayed with me the whole time and once I got used to popping my ears, I was enjoying every minute of it. They showed us some amazing fish and I even got to watch them spear a lion fish and feed it to an eel, I couldn't make that up if I tried! I basically realized, that this was a sport I wanted to continue post-Belize and I have Jose to thank for that.

As for food, it was good but not the best I've ever had. It's planned out in advance and you aren't given a menu to choose from. If you really didn't want what they were offering, they would make you something else. Also you sit with the other guests at a family-style table for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We were a little weary of having to spend all our meals with other couples but they ended up being great company and we enjoyed listening to how different all our lives were. As part of our stay, we were able to have romantic dinner to ourselves under their beautiful almond tree that was lit up with white lights, overlooking the beach. It was very romantic and a perfect end to our stay.

Another plus to resort, is that when you order drinks/food or go on an excursion, a tip isn't expected so you can leave your wallet within your room. At the end of trip your bill is tallied up and you determine how much each person should receive. It took the stress off of us to have money on us at all times and we appreciated it.

All in all, we had a fabulous time and wish we could have stayed longer. The staff was wonderful and the resort was just what we needed to end our already perfect honeymoon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank HappyLobsterGirl
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for sharing the magic of St. George's Caye!
Pasadena, Maryland, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2014

St. George's Caye was beautiful! We chose this place for the scubar diving adventure and of course the cabanas.

Things we loved:
Cabanas were awesome! clean rooms, comfy beds, mini fridge, hammock on the front porch, coffee and fresh oj delievered every morning.
Food was amazing. Never had a bad meal!
Staff couldn't have been better! Everyone was helpful, friendly, made amazing drinks :)
Plenty of diving opportunites each day
BEST massage ever
Guided tour to the Myan temple was awesome! Our tour guide was the best, he stopped at some extra local places along the way, really giving us the Belize experience. I wish I could remember his name.
Unlimited use of the kayaks. You could go from the "bay" side to the ocean side through mangroves. It was beautiful!
Boat rides to the island were fun and we saw dolphins!
Quiet island. No hustle and bustle, only a few cabanas of guests. Always available places/chairs on the beach
Pool was big with hammocks all around with plenty of cushioned chairs.
Pier with hammocks and chairs was relaxing
Eating meals out on the deck was really cool.

Things that could be added/improved..
Get a hot tub!
The pool was far away from the bar! Sitting by the pool with some drinks would have been relaxing.
The menu is scheduled times to eat and a set menu (unless you specifically ask for something else). Meals were more on an island time schedule, which wasn't convient when planning activites but still possible. Some times you just want some snacks! They had snacks but charged extra for them, with a small selection. Almost every dinner was seafood which was amazing but EVERY night? Good thing their food was amazing because it's the only place on the island to get food. Every meal you eat with everyone else at the resort. While this makes for a nice family feeling its nice some times to have quiet meal as a couple.
If you aren't diving it can be pricy. Fishing was 500 dollars, included ride to Belize city to fish on the river. We didn't catch anything! A boat ride to the city was 75 dollars and there isn't much in the city to do except guided tours and the casino. The resort really jacks up prices for excursions.
The resort also jacks up prices for alcohol. In the city you can buy a bottle of local rum for the price of one drink.
No TVs. Now we aren't the kind to go to a nice island and stay inside and watch TV the entire vacation. We could do that at home, we know. However, our weather was horrible. It would have been nice to relax inside with some tv, or even internet in our room. You can only get internet at the bar.
Literally the best massage I have ever had, no compliants there. BUT if they had another massage artist to do couples massages that would have been the bees knees!
Diving-- I don't think they had specific spots. The boat just went out and achored whereever so most dives felt like the one before. We still saw a lot and got to try the spear fishing, which was awesome! You're pretty far from the blue hole so we didn't get to do that,
If you looking to walk off into the water from the beach, forget it! The mangroves kind of take over. If you want to get in the water you have to jump off the pier.

Our weather wasn't that great so that impairs our review a little bit. I think this resort was more for older couples (without worries about money) looking for a more desolate island experience. It was a really nice place to stay and we will be back later down the road. We just weren't expecting to pay so much money, we would have rather gone to Europe or something for the amount we ending up putting out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erin T
Erin, we appreciate your thorough review of your experience at St. George's. We are listening and we are adapting. Here is some helpful information.

Shortly after your visit, we revamped our excursion program and have reduced the price of guided tours by over 15%, saving a couple $100 a day. We are committed to the highest quality excursion experience with the best guide, and at the same time we continue to find ways to work on the costs/prices.

Our drink prices are the same as other resort areas in Belize - we do NOT jack up the prices even though we are on a private residence island and have to purchase and transport all beverages and supplies. It is always lower cost to buy alcohol (and anything) in the run down city in a third world country - but of course this is not the experience we are providing.

Sounds like there were more older guests at the resort while you were there. In fact, our most satisfied guests tend to by honeymooners and other young and middle-aged people celebrating an anniversary, birthday or other special occasion.

So sorry that the weather wasn't the best for you. We generally have excellent weather all year, with passing storms most any time. Being in the tropics, you never know!

We are so glad that you did enjoy your experience and have shared some of the great things about St. George's Caye Resort with future travelers. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's Caye
Victoria House Resort & Spa
Island Magic Beach Resort
Island Magic Beach Resort
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!