“Adventure of All kind Awaits at St. Georges Caye”

St. George's Caye Resort
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Honestly, I don't know what to say, but thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It's not always fun when traveling by yourself to a place that you have never been to and not knowing what to expect when you get there. Being shy and an introvert doesn't make things easy either.

At first, I felt out of place, but it was the genuine friendly approach of the staff - Ivan, Santi, Teresa, Melvin, Jose, Barry (the manager) and his wife that made me feel at home. It was a more intimate and inclusive environment the any resort I've ever been to. Everyone was nice even the other guests who were there at the time. I was able to cultivated some friendships that I know I'll maintain for quite along time.

And let's not forget the food! AMAZING!!! You wouldn't expect the meals to be so delicious being the resort is on a small island and all, but...wow! I was really impress. The neat thing was, they catered to your dietary restrictions and if necessary, went out of their way to make sure you were satisfied with your meal...fresh everything...oh and dessert!! I was in heaven. I was fed so well I gained 5 lbs during my 9 day stay, but who cares! It's a vacation, right?

They day I left, I was sad to leave, but I know that all adventures (making new friends, diving, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing of the pier and star gazing) have to come to and end at some point. I take with me an amazing experience, new friendships, new perspectives, a revitalized me, and memories that will last forever. Will I go back? ABSOLUTELY!!!! And when I do, I'll bring someone with me so that they too can experience what St. George's Caye has to offer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ken D
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for your review, Ken. We look forward to providing the same high quality, authentic and personal service experience to other guests at St. George's.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife and I recently spent five nights at St. George's Caye Resort, and it really was a fantastic getaway. We were a bit apprehensive at first about being out on an island, especially since I am a picky eater and gluten-intolerant, but we got in on a great last minute deal and so I packed a bunch of freeze-dried meals just in case.

Our experience and the level of service was great from the time we got out of the airport all the way through our vacation. [Our ride from the resort waited an extra 1.5 hours at the airport while we got held up in a customs error. Thank you, Herber!] After a 15 – 20 minute boat ride from Belize City, we arrived on the island and were greeted by one of the managers, Ivan, with a tasty rum punch and a refreshing cool towel. As our bags were unloaded from the boat for us, he toured us around the resort and the lodge to help us get our bearings, and then he showed us to our private cabana. Wow! The cabanas are as much works of art as they are accommodations, with all the exotic hardwoods and the thatch roofs. I know this kind of accommodation isn't for everyone, but we loved it. All the modern amenities and sanitation (hot showers, drinkable water, and flushing toilets), a micro-fridge, a safe, and plenty of room for unpacking. And the front porches have comfy hammocks that help let the days slip by.

Due to our delayed arrival, we did not get to see the full resort before it was dark, so our morning was filled with one "wow moment" after another. Being an island, it gets light as soon as the sun comes up and so we awoke about 6:30am. I stumbled to look out the window and saw that a tray of hot coffee and fresh-squeezed orange juice was already waiting for us on our front porch. We sat out there and had our coffee as we watched the sun making its initial ascent into the sky, and it wasn't until my second cup that I looked down from the scenery long enough to realize the entire beach and all the pathways had been freshly raked that morning (and as I soon learned, every morning). We took our fresh juice and strolled out to enjoy it on one of the docks, where we got to see a variety of sea life including a small ray!

Coming back from the dock we made our way into the main lodge for breakfast. The meals at the resort are served communal style, meaning all guests sit together, which I was a bit nervous about. Fortunately, the resort is small enough that it can only house 30 – 40 people (my guess), and you tend to meet likeminded people when you get to a boutique destination like this one, so we enjoyed the conversations that came with every meal.

We were given several options for breakfast (everyone raved about the French toast, which I did not have of course), and then Lunch and Dinner were set course meals. The service was warm and friendly (Therese, you rock!). The food was great at each meal, and I didn't eat a single one of the freeze-dried meals I had packed. The chefs were able to make some great gluten-free options for me. (Thank you Ernesto and Julio!) My only feedback on the food is that I do wish they had served up more authentic Belizean and Central American dishes, as part of the experience of traveling (for me) is tasting the local cuisine.

We did not take advantage of any of the adventure activities, as we were looking simply for relaxation, so we spent our days drinking fresh juices, enjoying the pool, and relaxing in the various chill spots set up around the resort. The staff really is great and very accommodating. Everyone we met seemed sincerely friendly and willing to share their stories. And if you needed something, all you had to do was ask. Some of the guys took one guest night fishing with them when they were off work: totally made his vacation and we all got to eat the catch for lunch the next day! One couple was there on their honeymoon, so the staff set up a private romantic lunch for them out on the sandbar where you can sit in a foot of tropical water. I don’t know if they do this regularly or if it really was the staff going above and beyond, either way they seem to be all about making sure the guests have a great experience.

We quickly got on “island time” with our days filled with relaxation and good food being made for us, and our five nights went by too soon. We will definitely be back to St. George’s Caye Resort, and maybe next time I can convince my wife to try scuba diving.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravellingIrik

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other guests. We appreciate your comment, "Wow! The cabanas are as much works of art as they are accommodations.." Our staff is multi-talented - professional dive leaders, mechanics, finish carpenters and tile setters... Your recognition of their work is quite welcome, and we look forward to sharing our magic with other guests who read your review.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were there for a week in October as part of a group of 18 divers.
We were there for the diving and had a lot of very good moments.
Among the things we did encounter were dolphins, a few small sharks, turtles, eels, lots of Lionfish and various other tropical. The water temp was consistently in the 84 degree area, with very little variation.
Our group was split into 3 smaller groups and we had three boats to dive from. Two of the boats were good with the third suffering various mechanical failures. To their credit, the crew of "Bubbles" was not to be denied and we did not miss any dives on the boat. We did lose an anchor, a ladder and an engine, but all were eventually recovered with little inconvenience and no real danger to us.
Another reviewer noted anchoring on coral heads and I noted this as well. That was disturbing, but there are no moorings to tie onto, so unless it is a drift dive, the reef is at risk from this activity. I hope this is remedied soon as I thought this was a black mark on the practices of the resort. Overall, the reef is in good shape, there is plenty for the attentive eye to see and diving was pretty good. It was rainy season, so viz was less than optimal for the Caribbean, but still in the 50 -60 ft range.
Accommodations are Spartan but quite nice. Water is plentiful from the islands own supply and the water is safe to drink. Pressure was good and showers were adequate. Rooms were quite warm, and AC units were barely adequate to cool us even though it was not the brutal heat one expects in summer. Steps are being taken to fix that in the huts over the water by lowering the ceilings and that was very beneficial in the one hut that had this modification completed.
The over water huts where we stayed were quite unique which made them more enjoyable to me. The ocean side huts benefit from a strong breeze. The rest of the resort includes a pool, that was a welcome respite after a dive and allowed a place to congregate and rest after a day of diving.
The pool needed a little repair in the form of tile work, but was clean, the water well maintained and very refreshing. There was a near constant breeze, especially on the ocean side which kept the bugs down to a tolerable level, but repellant is highly recommended due to small biting flies that feasted on my legs.
Meals were family style and quite good with the three main kitchen staff very attentive and just a pleasure to be around. Internet is available in the main building where the bar is located as well as where the meals are served
One super touch that the staff pulled off was a lunch on a sandbar about a mile or so offshore. the furniture from the dining room was actually moved out to the sandbar and a hot lunch was served to all of our delight. That was spectacular!
We did one day trip that most of us chose to partake in, a trip to Lamanai. This ancient Inca city is simply breathtaking. It takes an hour bus ride, a 25 mile boat ride through twisting New River to Lamanai's large lagoon. Their are a few excavated structures there, with hundreds still hidden by the jungle, but so worth the trip. It was a life's experience to me that far exceeded my expectations, but your mileage may vary. I did not take the Blue Hole trip or the cave tubing that others did. Both received good reviews.
A little about Belize is worth adding. The airport is typical of others in small, poor countries. In other words, it is functional, but you won't find a lot to do on the grounds there There are a few small shops and a little bar, but not much else. Security and the airlines seemed to operate well enough and transport was prearranged by St George's and easy to get in and out of the airport for us.
One of the first things I noticed was the presence of bars on nearly all windows and razor wire on tops of most fences. in Belize City. I really didn't need a lot of explanation on this as property crime in many places is considered normal. I did not feel this was an issue on St George's Caye btw and never felt endangered personally on our excursion or in the resort.
I would say the staff was very good at the resort and there are efforts to be better. Stewardship of the reef needs some help in Belize and the resort is not a 5 star all inclusive like some in Cancun, but this is the islands of Belize, not Disneyworld so little things must be overlooked.
I would go back and would recommend the resort with the caveats I have mentioned. St George's is a unique place that will cater to you in a relaxed atmosphere surrounded by beauty.

Room Tip: Ask if the huts above the water have the ceilings lowered yet. This will impact your ability to get...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your extensive report on your experience in Belize and at St. George's. This is very helpful to people looking for the right experience. By the way, we have completed the finished ceilings on three of the six Over Water Cabanas and we are working on the the fourth - two to go, and they will be done prior to the heat of May and summer months.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I think this is a great resort to relax, just hang out and not worry about impressing anyone else like the bigger resorts ( I didn't shave for 4 days and no one made fun of my china white tan LOL). We would highly recommend to anyone looking for a rustic resort that pampers with friendly staff (Ivan and Santiago the very best of the best) and very good food.

Not only did we really enjoyed this relaxing, laid back environment but there are several adventure trips avaliable from the Island. We also met some wonderful people at the resort, Dave and Sharon from Saint Louis and James and Kiki on their honeymoon from England…great times in the lounge and on the water. We will definitely go back.

With all that said here are some tips for travelers:
1. Bring lots of bug spray and use it 24/7 (even in bed). We both received many bites.
2. Fishing at the "river" was fantastic - caught over 100 lbs of snook and snapper - the very best guide is Richard - definitely get in his boat!
3. Fishing for barracuda is a lot of fun and would recommend as well - watch the weather very close though. We went out on a very bad, rainy day and no one advised with a weather forecast to allow for cancellation. The fishing boats are all open top with no opportunity to get out of the weather. It was an adventure regardless and we caught 12 barracuda and a grouper.
- Bring really good rain gear just in case.
- We were surprised at the time it took for the guides to catch bait for the barracuda and the overall time it took for them to re-rig the fishing gear - I am used to having this all done prior to being on "our time".
4. Each day the fish we caught was cooked for dinner- it was fantastic!
5. Do not expect to have full time coverage of the internet - the WIFI was unpredictable at times and cell phone coverage is very poor (not really a bad thing after you get use to it!)
6. We resided in hut #3 on the water and it was a good place to be just to sit out on the porch and watch the Caribbean Sea. Hot water for showers on ran out earlier than expected. Coffee and juice in the morning delivered to your front door was very welcome.
7. The Belize rum and fresh coconut milk was great at happy hour in the lounge.
8. Tipping can be performed with the final invoice with expectations of 10% - 20% of on-island pricing. We tipped the fishing guides separate and used the "tip all" option when we checked out.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 703billc

Bill, thank you for your feedback and especially for providing valuable information to our future guests at St. George's. FYI, the WiFi has been quite dependable and enjoyed by our guests - being on a somewhat remote island, we are always working on upgrading this service! Hope to see you back in the near future!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I refer to my trip to St. George's Caye Resort as a trip to Gilligan's Island (in a good way)! There are no roads, stores or restaurants on the island...it's just a quiet and relaxing place to stay that has everything you need right there at the resort. The people that work there are fantastic and make sure that everything you wish for is taken care of. My sister and I went this past March and included several excursions in our trip. Cave Tubing was a great experience I'll never forget but the trip to the Blue Hole for Snorkeling was absolutely amazing!!! We stayed in one of the huts over the water and could sit out on our little porch with our coffees every morning and watch the sea creatures come and go. We had little get togethers with the other guests every evening on the dock and had some great laughs! I loved it!

Room Tip: The breeze varies from one side of the island to the other. The cabins over the water or the cabins...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. Anyone looking for a great experience like yours will certainly enjoy our island!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This very small island is about a 20 minute boat ride from the Princess hotel & casino. Our cabana was #1 over the water on the mainland side of the island. It was a great spot to watch the the fish who populating the miniature reef growing on the cabanas concrete supports and to watch the resident fish swim along the bottom. It was also the perfect spot for enjoying sunsets. We made use of the Hobie Cat sailboats (which could use some minor repairs) the kayaks and wind surfer. Also, to avoid "island fever" you need to plan some off island excursions. I would suggest a fishing trip with Edward (we caught over a dozen barracuda), a trip to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai with Cornell and Colin, zip lining, snorkeling, diving, tubing and shopping. The staff was great and take a good camera.

Room Tip: Cabana rooms view the bay. The cabin rooms view the beach and Carribean Sea. Sailing equipment could...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank danathompsoncpa

Sounds like St. George's was the perfect getaway place for you - so glad you enjoyed it! And thank you for mentioning the Hobie Cats - we have brought complete parts for replacement and tuning them up!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I didn't think we could top our last vacation to the Caribbean but St. George's Caye blew our expectations away!! If your looking for romance, seclusion, relaxation, & a friendly/personable staff this is the place to book! There is only room for 30 guests eat the resort but when we stayed we had the resort to ourselves for a day and a half before any other guests arrived!! How incredible is that? We ended up sharing the rest of our time there with three other couples and they were great!!

LODGE:
The lodge has a beautiful bar and a lounge area overlooking the ocean. In the back there are a few tables set up with fresh flowers where you will eat all of your meals. (unless you have a private romantic dinner planned, which was so cute!) At first we were a little skeptical about eating dinner with other guests but this actually turned out being a great way to share your experiences and your day with them!

FOOD/BEVERAGE:
We read a couple of reviews about the food portions before we left so we packed a few snacks just to be on the safe side and ended up eating NONE of the extra food we brought. We could barely finish most of the meals we had, and everything was exceptional!!(compliments to the chef!!) Always something different every day, a lot of sea food so if your a seafood lover this is a must!! If you didn't like something they would accommodate you in a heartbeat. For drinks they had water at all times and would switch it up during our stay with some sort of watermelon juice, coconut juice, horchata juice, etc. The mixed drinks at the bar were very reasonably priced, had a bunch of garnishes on them, and very delicious!

STAFF:
The staff was AMAZING!!!!!
We set up our reservation with Ivan (one of the managers) I had already taken a week off of work so we were on a strict time frame when booking a place and Ivan answered every question and worry we had about staying here faster than any other place we tried to book with. He was with us every step of the way. We also met one of the other managers Barry. He was personable, friendly, and was very passionate about St. George's Caye.
Our bartenders and servers Melvin, Santiago, and Theresa were incredible!! All of them were very down to earth, super friendly, and most important very genuine. It's hard to find this kind of hospitality at other resorts.

SCUBA DIVING:
We planned this trip to do some scuba diving and snorkeling. Being new at scuba diving (we tried it once before this vacation) my boyfriend was super excited and of course I was a nervous wreck! I had a hundred questions and concerns and our scuba instructor Jose made all of my nerves MELT away! He was incredible! We had a training course in the pool and he showed us all the basics, the what if's, the how to's, and by the time we were done with our beginners course I was confident to start diving in the ocean! The dives were exciting and the coral and wildlife were beautiful. Jose went out of his way to point out all of the hidden wildlife under the sea. (something we wouldn't catch being new to scuba). I couldn't thank him enough he helped both of us explore a new hobby that we both love and had the experience to share together!

OUR CABANA:
We stayed in the over sea cabana #1 and it was nothing but beautiful. You had everything you needed in the cabana a nice bed, a few chairs,a safe, a place to unpack your things, and a very cute bathroom! We had a stocked mini fridge at all times with soda, water,and beer (awesome!)
Every morning we had fresh coffee,tea, and juice delivered at 6am. They left it outside on our porch so whenever we woke up and decided to grab it we could. It was a great way to wake up in the morning and start our day!

ROOM SERVICE:
Super friendly & sweet ladies! By the time we ate breakfast and came back to our room to get ready for the day our bed was made, we had fresh towels,soap, shampoo, & conditioner. Everything was fresh and very clean! What else could you ask for?

Overall we had a great time here, if your a party animal and need a night life this is not for you. Its more private and romantic for couples looking for a relaxing vacation. I only had one negative point at the resort: The on site snorkeling wasn't as good as I expected it to be but make sure you take the snorkeling excursion because that was worth it!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Melissa M

Melissa, we so much enjoyed having you with us. Our staff is dedicated to making memories like yours. You have effectively painted the picture of the perfect vacation - glad we are a part of it! The more couples we have who are looking for the perfect romantic setting, the better! THANK YOU.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's Caye
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Athens Gate Beach Resort
#3 of 54 in San Pedro
Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!