My wife and I had a wonderful time at St. George’s Caye Lodge and would highly recommend it to those visiting Belize who want a more secluded experience with great diving, wonderful staff and convenient access to the mainland for excursions (20 minutes versus 1.5 – 2 hrs from Ambergris).
The one thing that didn’t come across in the material is how thin the island is (though it is much longer than it is wide). The Lodge has property that spans the width of the island, with the lagoon view cabanas on one side and the ocean view on the other. You can literally walk from one side of the island to the other in 2 minutes. And both sides are beautiful in different ways.
The lagoon side has views of the mangrove groves, as well as a really pretty house that is all by itself on a tiny island. The sunsets from this side are incredible, and I enjoyed kayaking through the mangroves. The ocean side has the sand beach and pier with a quintessential Caribbean feel including coconut trees and thatched “umbrellas” to relax under during the day. I enjoyed getting up early and watching the sunrise in one of the hammocks with the coffee and juice they deliver to your door every morning.
If you are looking for a wading or swimming beach experience, this beach isn’t really good for that as you can go about ankle deep in sand before you get to reef muck and sea grass. However, this is pretty consistent throughout Belize from what we understand. The Lodge offers a convenient trip out to a sandbar for more of a sandy swimming experience, which is something you can’t get elsewhere.
The cabanas were great. They had just been redone with an amazing amount of varnish work. The beds were comfortable with nice sheets and there were great reading lights next to the beds. The bathrooms only have a shower, but we had no real desire to take baths anyway. With the breeze, we did not need the air conditioning. We also understand the owners will be building a pool.
The owners were very involved in our stay, and they joined the guests for appetizers and dinner every night (food is included in your stay, but alcohol is not – stick with the Belizean booze as shots of imports to mix in your drinks were $10). They really made us feel welcome and worked hard to make sure we enjoyed our stay to its fullest. Staff was wonderful and attentive. Food was very good and varied, though generally simple. They make the best fresh juices; we had never had watermelon juice before and now will try making it at home. You must try the Belizean rum called 1 Barrel. Delicious. We enjoyed the family style dinners to catch up with the other guests at night.
The diving was incredible of course. Jose the divemaster was very good at assessing skill levels and finding sea life to point out. The wind was very strong while we were there, which is evidently somewhat unusual, and this limited our diving, so we did 2 excursions. The excursions were well worth it and were private (just the two of us). We went to Lamanai and did the cave tubing + zip line. Would recommend subbing the Belize zoo for the zip line as it is only 8 “zips” and you can zip line other places, while the zoo is unique. We also did the Blue Hole trip, which is not to be missed. Just wonderful.
All in all, highly recommended. We will definitely stay here again when we come back to Belize.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. George’s Caye Resort is a secluded paradise located on a private residence island just seven miles from Belize City. Accessible only by boat, St. George’s Caye feels miles away from everyday life thanks to its cozy cabanas, breathtaking views of the Caribbean, and the highest level of service in Belize. Divers, anglers and those looking to just get away from it all will find everything they desire at St. George’s Caye Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your St. George's Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. George`s Caye Hotel St. George`s Caye
- St Georges Caye Hotel
- St. George's Caye Resort Belize/Belize Cayes