All reviewshobie catsfamily styleother guestscoffee and juiceevery morningbelize citydive masterlagoon sidescuba divingocean frontfishrum punchoceanfront cabanamayan ruinsminute boat ridecave tubingblue hole
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed for three or four nights back in February at the end of a two month trip around central America. Staying here was a splurge for us (Belize is very expensive compared to most of its neighbours anyway), as we wanted somewhere nice to stay and relax before heading home. I enjoyed everything about our stay apart from the food.... the island is great, the water is the most crystal clear you can imagine, the free kayaks, pedalos and sail boats allow you to explore, and if you are happy to chill out then I think you'll be happy. Although it is good to know before you go that the 'beach' isn't probably what you'd expect, and the sand directly off the beach in the water is gunky so you get stuck in the mud! That's why there is the lovey pontoon for you to jump off. We went diving once and it was expensive, but I have nothing else in Belize to compare this to. The hut itself was large and comfortable, although the interior was a bit dated if I'm going to pick holes. All of the staff were great and really friendly, and always helpful. We did have a big fire on the beach on Valentines day, and also dinner was a BBQ on the beach another night. I don't know if it is because I'm British (I am told by an American friend that it may be so), but I found the whole communal eating thing a bit odd. After a few days it was great to know everyone there, and all the guests seemed very open to talking to 'newbies', but having set lunch and dinner times is just odd for me when I'm on holiday, as is forced socialising!. Having said that, I did on more than one occasion have a plate of lunch wrapped up for me so I could eat it later, so although there was no flexibility in when the food was served, you could save it for later. I think the key with this place is to know exactly what to expect - we had read up on the place before hand, and so there weren't really any surprises and we had a nice time. I think if you turned up expecting a different experience, then you could easily be dissapointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Dani M
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The staff, including employees such as Sapo, Eli, Walter, Freddie, Herbert, Jose were all amazing and had an incredible service and really truly wanted us to enjoy ourselves. On the other hand, Barry, the manager was completely rude and had no sense of hospitality. He even had the nerve to cut off my 81 year old grandmother while she was trying to explain something to him and it was nothing but rude. He never once greeted us, made sure we enjoyed ourselves or even tried to pretend to be nice. He should not be in the customer service industry, being that I am in it myself. I would not recommend this resort. They list that they serve traditional caribbean style meals when not one thing was served as such. I personally love food and you do not get a single choice in what you are eating. It is written on a board each day and yOu sit at a Table with everyone else At the resort and eat like you are at camp. I would give the food a 3/10 and that is being nice. The positives were the sweet staff and the bakery cookies and of course the amazing ocean. In total I would give the resort a 6/10 because also if you want to do any expeditions off the island exPect to pay an arm and a leg

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Jess2389
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

We are a small, intimate resort with a first class staff dedicated to our Guests' satisfaction. Our manager has been with us for nearly two years and is responsible for the constant outstanding reviews our guests post on TripAdvisor and other sites. About once every year or two a client arrives who simply doesn't want to be at our type of facility, even though our website and advertising is designed to provide a very true picture of the experience. Unfortunately the guest who provided this review did not fit the experience, wanting to change our meal times, menus and other services to suit their whims without regard for the impact on our other guests. I personally received an email from another guest who was at our resort at the same time highly praising Barry, our manager, for his professionalism and attempts to satisfy this client.

We are sorry that we cannot be all things to all people, but we will rest on our reputation and on the feedback provided by 99% of our very happy Guests.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband and I were unsure of what to expect when first booking this resort. From the moment that we were picked up at the airport (a driver with a sign with our name on it) to the 20min. boat ride the island and the manager Barry greeting us with another staff memeber with fresh squeezed juice the relaxation could begin. We stayed on the ocean side huts (4 in total) with 6 on the lagoon side and 2 in the middle, I think the max number of guests while we were there were 12. Each hut had a porch with 2 chairs and a hammack. Every morning fresh jucie, coffee and tea were delivered to your door.

The food was amazing, while each meal is planned (there is a menu written everyday to look at) if you are a very picky eater this may not be for you. They do make accomidations for likes and dislikes all you have to do is tell the chef, they will completly understand and make adjustments. The meals are family style which I enjoyed, we were able to really get to know the other guests and made many friends.

We did a ruin tour, cave tubing and snorkling. This is where we looked at some of the local stands to buy our gifts for home. If you want a tourist area again this is not it, it is the only resort on the island the rest are private residences. We also went to the local aquarium and learned more than at some of the bigger ones. Many days people went out on different excersions or scuba diving and we were on the island with maybe 1 other couple. Even when everyone was at the resort you could easily find places where nobody else was.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. By the end or our stay they I noticed that they learned everyone's names, knew what thier favorite drinks were, and also noticed what we like to do. My husband and I like to take the hobie cats out for rides and each morning a staff member would get them ready for us without us asking. The manger Barry wants to make sure he caters your stay to what you want, so weather it's diving every day, just relaxing on the beach, or going out on excursions he will make sure that he does everything possible to fulfull that.'

I would reccommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway, away from all the "toursit" areas, but also wanting to have some fun too.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim F
Reviewed May 9, 2012

From beginning to end, it was an incredible experience. We were picked up from the airport and taken to the marina where a boat waited for us. A short 20 minute boat ride later, we were greeted at the dock with an ice cold juice and a cool minty towel.
The huts were perfectly appointed. Nice bed, amazingly soft, fresh linens, and good size bathroom. Each front porch has a hammock and chairs. We stayed on the ocean side and had a breeze the entire time.
Meal times were fairly structured, but the food was worth the schedule. Fresh seafood caught that morning by the scuba divers, fresh fruit brought in each day, generous portions so you never left hungry. At most, there were 12 other guests. Family style meals meant we all were able to get to know one another very well. We made great new friends.
Activities and excursions were seamless. Barry, the manager, organizes everything for you, so you have no worries. We snorkeled one afternoon and saw incredible fish. Another day we went to the mainland and did the cave tubing/zip lining with a guide. Again, it was all planned so we had no concerns. We took a stroll down to the Aquarium and learned about fish we didn't even know existed. The rest of the time, we lounged. On the dock, at the pool, on the front porch. No bad spots on the island. Napping in a hammock is an activity in itself!
Our departure was just as easy (logistically). Boat to marina to airport. It was just hard to leave that beautiful, restful, breezy place!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean side room. They're breezier!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed March 30, 2012

St. George's Caye is a little island a short (20 minute) boat trip from Belize City.
The caye itself is about a mile long and is you stand in the middle you're just a short distance from water on both sides.
The resort is small and laid back. If you just want, you can just sunbathe, swim in the pool, and chill in the many hammocks, but you can also sign up for snorkeling, diving, side trips, and spa treatments. Kayaks are on the shore. The pool is saline instead of chlorine.
The staff is attentive and relaxed.
Meals are served family style, which means you're eating at one particular time with the other guests. Some people on Trip Advisor have complained about this, but I liked it and enjoyed meeting other travelers. The food is generally good and portions are generous, although I've read complaints about this here, too. Maybe if you're used to an all-you-can-eat buffet you'd find the food inadequate. You have no choice in your meals except at breakfast, but members of our group with dietary restrictions were willingly accommodated. If you're a person with no sense of gastronomic flexibility you might find the lack of options difficult.
This is a place to relax. There's no shopping, no dance halls, nowhere to go. I liked that enormously, but if you're looking for action and nightlife, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: I stayed in a cabana located on a waterside dock. Others are more "inland." All are a stone's throw from the water. Inside they looked pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends