All reviewshobie catsfamily styleother guestscoffee and juiceevery morningbelize citydive masterlagoon sidescuba divingocean frontfishrum punchoceanfront cabanamayan ruinsminute boat ridecave tubingblue hole
Reviewed March 30, 2012

St. George's Caye is a little island a short (20 minute) boat trip from Belize City.
The caye itself is about a mile long and is you stand in the middle you're just a short distance from water on both sides.
The resort is small and laid back. If you just want, you can just sunbathe, swim in the pool, and chill in the many hammocks, but you can also sign up for snorkeling, diving, side trips, and spa treatments. Kayaks are on the shore. The pool is saline instead of chlorine.
The staff is attentive and relaxed.
Meals are served family style, which means you're eating at one particular time with the other guests. Some people on Trip Advisor have complained about this, but I liked it and enjoyed meeting other travelers. The food is generally good and portions are generous, although I've read complaints about this here, too. Maybe if you're used to an all-you-can-eat buffet you'd find the food inadequate. You have no choice in your meals except at breakfast, but members of our group with dietary restrictions were willingly accommodated. If you're a person with no sense of gastronomic flexibility you might find the lack of options difficult.
This is a place to relax. There's no shopping, no dance halls, nowhere to go. I liked that enormously, but if you're looking for action and nightlife, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: I stayed in a cabana located on a waterside dock. Others are more "inland." All are a stone's throw from the water. Inside they looked pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lulu437
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife & I had a delayed honeymoon at St. George's Caye Resort. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The cabanas were very comfortable with luxury towels and linens.

The resort only had about 14 guests when we arrived. Most of the guests departed before our stay was over allowing us to almost have the place to ourselves. There are many worthwhile excursions to do such as cave tubing and zip lining in the jungle. We opted for scuba diving which was very nice. The dive staff, boats, and equipment were all very good.

I highly recommend St. George's Caye Resort for both active and non-active vacationers. We plan to return in October.

Room Tip: Over the water cabanas are best. The view from the back of the property has a beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark C
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked this resort on Luxury Link and stayed here for 5 nights in March 2012. We were met by Hubert at the airport who escorted us to the resort. St. George's Caye is a small island (i think a few miles long, 400 feet across), the resort has 12 cabanas.

Our Cabana: We stayed in cabana 7, which is a "garden" cabana. At first, we weren't exactly thrilled to not have an ocean front cabana - but to be honest, it was nice to have so much privacy. There are no TVs or phones in the room. Every cabana has a porch w/ a hammock. One thing that drove me crazy was that there aren't any drawers in the cabanas, only two small shelves - we lived out of our suitcases for the time being. There was house keeping every day, however, we never got our toiletries refilled after day 2.

Scuba Diving: I did my open water certification dives out there with Freddy. He was AMAZING. My boyfriend, who was already certified, was allowed to come dive with us. We saw so many incredible things and I felt completely safe with Freddy.

The beach: Beautiful...yet not really swimmable. Lots of sea grass/sea weed. Still, we enjoyed it!

The lodge: The only place that has WiFi (you're on vacation, you don't need it anyway!) and where you go for RUM PUNCH! Yum. We thought we would get sick of the rum punch, but we didn't. They allow you to get a pitcher so you can enjoy the pool or the beach without having to leave for refills. It was the perfect place to relax before/after dinner.

The food: I'm a picky eater, and was a little nervous about the food here. It is served family style with everyone else at the resort - which I liked. The menu is put up each day around breakfast. It was fantastic! I'm not a big seafood person and one night we were having coconut shrimp for dinner - I asked at lunch if I could get something other than shrimp & they were nice enough to make me chicken instead! We also had a beach BBQ one night that was to die for!

Excursions: We didn't do any off island excursions, but the people that did raved about them. We did go snorkling one day which was great. You sign up the night before at dinner with Leonie. We weren't given a time for snorkling, told it would "depend on the weather". After dinner, we were told we were going at 8 AM...however one couple never got the message and they were woken up with only a few minutes to spare. On the last day, we left the resort early with another couple and arranged for a taxi to drive us around Belize City to get a tour. Very nice.

Overall: Beautiful resort, yet there were somethings that left something to be desired for a "luxury" resort - broken chairs around the pool, mismatched furniture, the communication issues with trips. We were very happy with what we got for the price we paid. Great diving, would come back in a heartbeat to dive with Freddy and Jose!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lauracg524
Reviewed March 16, 2012

If you are looking for a quiet, comfortable getway, this is it. Staff are friendly and accomodating. Food was excellent. Barry, the Manager, does an great job in making sure you or your group have the experience you're looking for. There's lots to do (sailing, snorkeling, kayaking) or you can relax at the pool or in your personal hammock on the porch of your cabana.

Room Tip: Cabanas with an ocean view get quite breeze from ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We had an awesome 2 weeks here Feb. 11th-25th! A group of 12 of us went down for a scuba diving adventure and ended up having a ton of fun with the staff too! Jose' & Freddie were really fun to dive with, they helped us find some great critters: huge Eels, Turtles, Crabs, Lobsters, Angel fish and Queen Triggers galore! Mario was a great boat captain too! We had a ton of fun with Humberto & Dean at the bar and in the restaraunt, they treated us like Royality and we had lots of laughs with them. Check out my video of them on youtube.com (http://youtu.be/zmO_lD85ymM). We also took in some massages by Leone who is amazing and gives great massages, the best! Hector the chef and his partner cooked up some fantastic meals and a Blueberry Cheesecake to die for, for desert! Tons of food and lots of Rum Punch at the pool! A few of the guys went fishing and caught 5 Barracuda which Hector cooked up for us, none of us had ever had Barracuda before and it was really YUMMY! We have no complaints, everything was perfect! Thanks to everyone who works there for making a very memorable vacation! We Will Be Back!! Keep up the great work Cap'n Ron and it was really nice to meet you!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabana on the beach (east side) which was really windy, if you like it calm stay on the other side in a cabana on the water.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends