“Good for a tasty bite.”

Canalside Craft Centre
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Galgate
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Called in after driving up the nearby motorway.
The mainstay of the place appears to be the restaurant, which serves pleasant home made type food in a friendly and efficient manner, and which is also reasonable value.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The best part of this establishment is the fact that you can sit by the canal and feed the ducks. After standing in the queue for some time I decided not to wait for a full meal and opted for the quick fix of cake and coffee, I shouldn't. The cake was not fresh and I suspect it had been there for some days (coffee was fine). It boasts great things from the roadside but sadly it didn't deliver.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

There must be many travellers, like us, who detest motorways and prefare the relaxation of using the A routes
Travelling from the Merseyside area to the Lakes, we have found that this is a very convenient stop for coffee or lunch, before making the decision to face the Lancaster traffic or the M6.
The location just off the main road provides a tranquil calm, and one is able in good weather to sit at the canal side at one of the many picnic tables. Inside there is more of a canteen atmosphere, but this is quite adequate for a passing visit.
The food is excellent; home cooked and fresh. Sandwiches are all one price with a selection of fillings. (We recommend the turkey on brown bread).
Easy to find: continue on the A6 once you pass the motorway turn, for perhaps half a mile; look out for the craft centre signs on the left. Entrance is by a narrow passage between two stone walls, so look out for cars making an exit.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We thought we'd have a nice change for Sunday lunch by taking a walk down the canal and stopping at the Craft Centre yesterday (21/07/13). We'd been past before and noticed their sign outside claiming that they could "boast about their roast", their online menu looked enticing, and their website (see screenshot) claimed that they served food until 4:00pm on weekends.

When we got there at about 3:30pm, there were about three customers waiting at the counter to be served, but more importantly, the restaurant area was stiflingly hot - maybe 30 degrees or more, and far hotter than it was outside by a clear margin. With that in mind, we decided to go through to the patio and choose a table near to the open door where it was much cooler. However, as we sat down, we noticed that the menu-boards on the wall said that main meals were only served until 3:00pm on weekends. A little confused at the conflicting messages, my other half went to go speak to the counter staff whilst I toyed with napkins, looked at the odd assortment of children's toys pinned to the walls... twirled the sugar jar spoon... waited ... yawned... began to wonder what on earth was going on...

I could just see him through the doorway back in the restaurant area, stood at the back of the queue of the same three customers who had been there when we arrived, and whilst I entertained myself with re-arranging the condiments, It took the two counter staff no less than twenty-five minutes to serve the three customers with various coffees, cream-cakes, canned drinks, and sweets. No cooked meals or demanding orders - just straight-forward refreshments that should have been dealt with in minutes.

Finally, my other half (by now dripping with sweat because of the restaurant's temperature) got to speak to a waitress who essentially shrugged him off with disinterest and said that they never served food after 3:00pm. No apology for the length of time he had waited, nor for how stupidly hot the restaurant was, nor even any concern for the incorrect information on the website. Nothing. Our choice was to have tea scones for Sunday lunch, or go somewhere else for Sunday lunch.

So we went back to the Plough next door and had a wonderful dinner served in a cool restaurant by a very nice waitress who actually seemed remotely interested in our general happiness.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Me and my partner have been here a few times and believe it to be one of the best cafe's around. The area is nice, the staff are friendly and are helpful, the place is spotless and the food may be a little bit more money than a standard cheap cafe but it is certainly worth it. I have the shepards pie and it was one of the best I have had, and my partner can certainly boast about the roast he had. Finished off with some delicious scones and chocolate cake, definitely a must go place to eat. Also a great place to stock up on unique cheap cards for all occasions. Try this place for yourself.

1  Thank Jessica S