“Beautiful food”

The Plough Inn - Country Pub & Dining Room
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Galgate
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Beautiful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Visited the plough on Monday the 24th feb with my mum and we both enjoyed it.
Both has lasagne and it came out boiling hot with a lovely side salad and chunky chips. Very tasty.large portions!
Service was excellent fast and helpful.
Everyone was polite and on a clear dry day the pub garden would be brilliant. Will be returning soon. Thanks

• Visited February 2014
Sean N, Manager at The Plough Inn - Country Pub & Dining Room, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thanks for the very kind words about your visit to us! The lasagne is fantastic and one of my favourites on the menu! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We normally visit the Punchbowl at Churchtown (part of the same chain) and we love it there, but fancied a change but unfortunately it was a big mistake.

The service was quick and the staff were very pleasant. Unfortunately the food we had was just terrible. It was not the quality or presentation, but the way it was cooked. I had a rib eye steak and was asked how I would like it cooked, so I said medium. When it arrived it was most definitely well done and it was also lukewarm. The chips were undercooked and pale.

My boyfriend had an Italian style beef burger on Ciabatta and the meat was so dry the meat was crumbling! He left half of it but no-one mentioned anything when they took the food away. We shared a sundae for dessert as we knew that this would be hard to get wrong - and it was actually very nice.

We'd booked for 7pm on Valentines day and we knew if we left without eating the food, we probably wouldn't get in anywhere else. We were quite a way from home and didn't really know where else to go! We also had a hotel booking so couldn't be bothered to make a fuss as we wanted to get away, however, we would have told the staff the food was bad if anyone would have asked.

• Visited February 2014
Firstly can I just say thanks for your review. I am obviously disappointed that your visit was not up to our normal standards (both as a company and for The Plough itself). I have talked to my team about your visit and they would also like to extend their apologies to you. They did tell me that every table was double checked on valentines as it is such an important night on our calendar so am surprised that yours apparently slipped under the radar.

I always find it difficult to reply when we get reviews comparing us to some of our other businesses. We cater for a completely different market and work to the means we have (our kitchen is actually only a quarter of the size of the Punchbowl!). This is reflected by the difference in price (similar dishes are typically 25% cheaper than some of our other venues) and waiting times for food. I am not trying to make excuses for your visit though and would like to offer some sort of recompense for your poor experience.

If you can email me direct at plough@bvinns.co.uk I will be able to offer you some meal vouchers to use at any of our venues as a way of apology for your visit. I look forward to talking to you soon.
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“A very nice meal, shame dogs not allowed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I took my Daughter who is Lancaster Uni. The food and service was very good and will certainly go again. It would be a good place to go to tie in with a walk on the Lancaster canal. It is really noticeable that pubs in cumbria and better quality pubs in Lancashire such as the Inn at Whitewell are cool with Dogs but the more pretentious places seem to have issues. I had Lamb chops which were well cooked and a generous portion, whilst my Daughter had a Lasagne which really was superb, but at £10.95 even though it includes chips is a little bit ambitious on price, so if at Lancaster Uni, do not forget to flash your Purple Card.

• Visited February 2014
Thanks for the kind words. We really love our location and often get people calling in who enjoy a good walk!

I can understand the frustration about dogs, but after being advised by the environmental health department, our business took the policy to unfortunately not allow our furry friends in! You are however more than welcome to sit outside with them in our beautiful beer gardens if the weather allows, and our staff will always be happy to get them a bowl of water to either have there or in your car!
England
“Excellent lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

As it was, yet again,a wet and windy day, we decided [four of us], to have lunch out at the Plough, instead of going for a walk!
The lunch was delicious. There is a good selection of food on the menu, and the restaurant was warm and felt inviting. We had good service and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

• Visited February 2014
Thanks for the kind words! We hope next time you visit the weather is better; you can enjoy a lovely walk followed by some more fantastic food and service in our beautifully landscaped beer garden!
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Couldn't ask for better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just back from a fab pub meal at the Plough. Daily specials complement a traditional pub menu. Great chef, everything cooked perfectly.
Read the reviews and was very happy with the welcoming service, the delicious bar meal and very reasonable prices. Real ale enjoyed by hubby.
Lots of tables but not too close to each other, plenty of room for everybody.
Used by locals and newcomers, this pub is not to be missed.

• Visited February 2014
Thanks for the kind words. We are very proud of the food we serve and all our hard working staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!