“Great for a special occasion”
Review of Checcos

Checcos
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My boyfriend's family have been visiting Checcos La Trattoria for decades. I was officially initiated into the family on Christmas Eve after being invited to join them for their traditional pre-Christmas Italian feast.

The restaurant is eerily authentic in that I actually felt like I was in the Italian foothills. The décor is painstakingly authentic and a treat for somebody as nosy as me who likes to have lots of things to look at up on high shelves.

The waitress we were served by was very knowledgable and the friendly but professional owner came over a couple of times to check everything was good and to have a bit of a chat with my boyfriend's mum who has been visiting for years.

Our food was delicious. My langoustines were cooked beautifully (some still had veins in though and although this is not a problem I do get a bit squeamish about it) and we were all trying each others dishes and making approving sounds. These got louder the more wine we drank.

We all talked each other into having pudding too - a rarity for me as I'm usually stuffed by this point, but the chocolate torte concoction I had was delicious.

A lovely and enjoyable night in great surroundings.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We've been going to this restaurant for years - reasonably priced, reasonable food.

Staff always helpful and polite - no need to book, turn up, wait a little while if busy.

Not rushed, not exceptional food, but worth the money.

Would recommend if you fancy going out for "tea" on a whim ..

Reviewed December 23, 2012

been to checcos for years, its usually ok to good, staff helpfull and will make a main into a starter if you want, but 4 of our party had pizza and the bases where not the thin ones we have grown to love, they tasted bought in, hope this is not the case, i complained to the waiter but felt it fell on deaf ears, we have all said we still want to go there but pizza will be off the order till i see a different base, hope the managment read this, as they must know what they have changed

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is the best italian restaurant for miles..no one can touch it..I feel we are in Italy its cosy atmospheric, food good and well organised by the head waiters however.......concerned that too many tables are being squeezed in which causes a little akwardness when getting up from tables when others are dining whilst I understand "bums on seats" please dont spoil the excellent reputation of your restaurant by squeezing a few more in.....you dont need to... people love your place

Reviewed November 10, 2012

authentic italian food , was delicious! wine is dear but food well worth prices, cosy seating area and nice seating if you want to retire with coffee after your meal.