“Bad food”
Review of The Old Swan Inn

The Old Swan Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Gargrave
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Old Swan Inn, Gargrave. A traditional Yorkshire Dales Grade 2* listed country pub and restaurant, set in the heart of the beautiful village of Gargrave at the foot of the stunning dales. We offer comfortable, spacious guest bedrooms; an open plan bar serving local and interesting cask ales, ciders and lagers; a restaurant with home cooked food served from 12noon to 2.30pm and 6pm to 9pm or you can choose to eat in the historic cosy snug with open fireplace.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family and my self dined here Saturday 5th October.

The food was served on stone cold plates, tasted old and was not as described.

Homemade chips were frozen french fries.

Homemade soup was "Heinz"

Home made bread was shop bought.

One word sums this place.

RUBBISH

Reviewed October 1, 2013

First time in Gargrave,I had looked at the reviews and booked a table [no need] for my sons birthday and wedding anniversary.I was really disappointed in the food that was served.When you look at the menu and it states "Hand cut chips"you don't expect frozen chips which personally I don't like but that's what was on the plate.My son and his wife wanted b-b-q chicken which I was certain I ordered but we were served Spanish chicken,I'm sorry to say but my daughter in law said it was the worst thing she had ever tasted!!My son left most of his meal such a shame.It was quite expensive for three small pieces of garlic cheese bread again not nice.I had Fish and chips part of the fish was just to say cooked.My husband opted for the slow cooked lamb and he did enjoy it although it was supposed to be in minted gravey the mint seemed to have gone missing!!I don't know if it was just bad luck that the meal was a disaster but we did complain about the quality of the meal and were given a discount on the bill.I would have gladly paid the full cost if the meal would have been of a decent standard alas it was far from this.I must add that the girl who served us was a credit to the Old Swan she was serving behind the bar,taking orders for meals and serving the food!!quite a lot to do on a Saturday night,she couldn't apologise enough to us and it totally was not her fault.The chef who had previously spoken to us did 'nt bother to come to our table to ask what was wrong with the food and it didn't seem there was other people eating at the time,so I am sure he could have found a few minutes to have a word.This pub serves the average pub grub we won't be eating there again.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Random choice on the way home. Monday 29/9/13.
Well kept and served Taylors Golden Best taken with Battered Haddock, Chips and Peas. Followed by cheese cake.
Very Good and very reasonably priced.
Good atmosphere, pleasant and polite staff. Excellent pub food.
We`ll be back.
MH

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

A new landlord ,new chef ,new decor .
All of you know how country pubs these days are busy because of word of mouth .We have had a refurb the snugs are again snugs ,new dining room , we have a new menu reasonably priced ,fresh local trout farmed in gargrave salad chips £8.50 wild boar fillet mash and veg £14.95 a large Yorkshire pudding with either braising steak chicken or sausages £7.95 plus a large selection of other dishes ,Also we offer 3 hand pulled ales which change regular ,We can also offer bed and breakfast at reasonable prices . So if you have had a bad experience here please come back and see the changes I think you will be pleasantly surprised

5  Thank joca21
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This used to be a grim pub. But the new landlords have breathed in life. Good value food with some interesting fish specials, couple of good real ales and a bit of a refurb. We went for an early dinner with a large group after the, very wet, Gargrave show. With numerous kids we were probably a bit of a headache but they were great and really looked after us. I hope the new owners prosper. The swans a great pub and I look forward to returning (without kids).