“Do not trust these reviews if you know good food!”

Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 78 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Yo Yo Bar and Restaurant, a Shipley Restaurant situated in the heart of Yorkshire. Combining locally sourced produce with globally inspired dishes, Yo Yo’s is a modern Oriental Restaurant offering a unique mix of Japanese, Chinese and Thai cuisine.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We never normally do this but we felt we had to because the reviews already on here differ massively to our own experience. If you know good food don't go here!
Before visiting we checked the reviews and felt reassured that this place would be good enough to try.
We ordered a sushi platter (£18.50) and "Japanese" mussels (£6.50) to begin. The most disturbing thing was we watched from our table as our sushi was placed and left on the HOT kitchen pass for 10mins along with the mussels until a waiter decided to bring them over to us. This immediately put us off because the sushi plate was warm, very dangerous! By that point the mussels were no longer hot but warm, I have never see such pathetic looking and tasting mussels, they were shrivelled up, dry, tasteless and TINY! They came with bread which was actually the most amusing part of our evening, the bread was stale and rock hard! The table opposite had exactly the same and we challenged each other who could break it first.As for the warm sushi, it was tiny too and did not justify paying £18.50 for. The rolls were half the size of normal hand rolled sushi and the selection of raw fish were tiny slithers.
Dessert was ok, when it arrived 35mins later. My cheesecake was nice but the base was soggy and my partners ice cream tasted like the cheapest supermarket bought ice cream on offer. The bill came and we paid more for this rubbish than we did the previous week at a high end thai restaurant in Leeds City Centre.
It's really sad when restaurants try to cut corners with cheap ingredients, especially when the food is priced to high. After all this when we came to pay the waiter said "are you leaving a tip?" ...I say no more! Woke up this morning feeling a bit unwell, could be down to the warm sushi or maybe it's because we were ripped off. Sorry Yo Yo to have to do this but we don't want anybody else to be mislead like we were.

SIMON D, Owner at Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear GP 2332,

Following your visit to Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant on Saturday evening, you have highlighted a number of areas of complaint which I will address with my front of house and kitchen team one by one. Some of your points are valid but basically you did not enjoy your evening from beginning to the end and to state as your opening title " Do not trust these reviews if you know good food" leaves me with a feeling of disbelief. Customers choose to put a review on Trip Advisor good or bad, to say my customers lie when putting a review on Trip Advisor is absurd ! These are genuine customers who have dined at Yo Yo's for many years and still continue to come back and enjoy an evening with us. From time to time we make mistakes and we hold our hands up and try not to make the same mistakes again. As the owner I was the one who came over when you were eating and asked if everything was O.K. and was told it was. At that time you should have told me of your grievances and something could have been done, replacement food, or the item deducted off your final bill, and it was not until I reviewed your comment card after service and read your review today did I realise the severity of your complaints.With complaints I always try and resolve the matter and try and get the customer to revisit so we can redeem our reputation with them, but feel on this occasion you have caused great damage to the reputation of my Restaurant with your comments and no matter what I say would you ever dine at Yo Yo's again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

fantastic atmosphere the food is as good as anywhere i have eaten before, huge selection to cj]hose from but what i like the most is the fact that you can have a drink before your meal then eat then relax after in the bar area.

Dear Leader 4444,

Thank you for your great review from a recent visit you had at Yo Yo's. We like to think of us as an all in one venue, where you can have a few drinks before your dinner, dine in the Restaurant and then conclude your evening in the Bar, that is why we are so popular for groups and events. Thank you for taking the time to write, and hope we have the opportunity of seeing you again soon. Regards Simon

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Have visited Yo Yo's several times now and each time have been very pleased with food, atmosphere and service. Food is interestingly different but still familiar, nicely presented and cheerful friendly host. Heartily recommended.

Dear Manxman Ed,

Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor, and your comments about the value for money and the quality of food. We have tried over the seven years of being open only using the freshest of ingredients and cooking our food to order, and that is why no doubt you are a repeat customer and your comments will be passed onto my team. We look forward to seeing you back at Yo Yo's soon. Kind Regards Simon

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were advised to go here by the Hotel where we stayed the Abbey Lodge. We had not booked and they were fairly busy but we were made welcome and did not have to wait took long for a table. All staff were pleasant and attentive, the food was fresh, hot and so tasty - thank you

Dear Heather J,

Thank you for your great comments following your recent visit to Yo Yo's. When you visit a strange place it is nice if the local hotel recommends a restaurant, and rest assured if we were not up to the Mark we would soon know. Pleased you had an enjoyable evening with us and do hope we have the opportunity of you dining at Yo Yo's again soon. Regards Simon

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I popped in for an impromptu belated Xmas reunion.

We were met at the door by a very pleasant maitre d' We enquired for a table for 2. Even though there wasn't a table free in sight she obviously knew what she was doing and informed us there would be a short 10 minute wait and showed us to the bar.

10 minutes later she came to collect us herself instead of sending a waiter. Very politely she showed us to our table in the window.

We ordered our food and was looked after all the way through our service being very attentive but not overpowering

The Chicken wings starter could have been a bit crisper however the other starters were great.

The Teriyaki duck was pink and delicious and the Sea bass delightful with the fish cooked perfectly.( I detest overcooked fish )

My only gripe( and you can't cater for everyone ) was the television screens showing big brother! In a restaurant really?

Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely visit again.

Food and service great. Good value for money too.

SIMON D, Owner at Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Tonycrotty,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor, so pleased you enjoyed the quality of our food and the service provided by my colleagues. I have noted your comments on the chicken wings as they are normally crispy. The two Televisions are for the purpose of customers in the Bar area, I cannot believe why Big Brother was on ( I can't stand the programme) we usually have BBC1 on or any football on without the sound. When we opened the Restaurant seven years ago I initially thought the Bar was going to be busier than the Restaurant but the Restaurant took off so really they are not utilised as they should be. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Yo Yo's again soon. Kind Regards Simon