“Fantastic Fusion”

Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 78 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Yo Yo Bar and Restaurant, a Shipley Restaurant situated in the heart of Yorkshire. Combining locally sourced produce with globally inspired dishes, Yo Yo’s is a modern Oriental Restaurant offering a unique mix of Japanese, Chinese and Thai cuisine.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We chose this because it came top of the Trip Advisor ratings and were not disappointed. The restaurant was busy on a Monday night, always a good sign. We had the set meal for two which was excellent value and very tasty. Quick, friendly service. They are proud of the fact that they have been top of the ratings for three years and rightly so.

Simon D, Owner at Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Hi LynJohn2001, Thanks for the review, so pleased you enjoyed your visit to Yo Yo's, pleased you found us on trip advisor, and yes we are very proud we have an excellent reputation on Trip Advisor. Kind Regards Simon

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My partner suggested that we visit this restaurant for the second time, I wasn't to sure about it - a) after a previous average experience and b) the general concept of the menu I found slightly off putting. However I was very hungry and it was fairly late.

Anyway... we were seated in good time. The atmosphere was calm, it wasn't a 'blowing tumble weeds' empty (like some of the restaurants we passed on the way) but it was adequately busy for a Thursday night.

The environment of the restaurant was very clean and tidy. very relaxing with the correct amount of dimmed lighting. It was also the right volume of music - it was very eclectic which was slightly amusing but added to the light buzz and chatter of the diners.

The table was laid correctly and the crockery and cutlery was all clean and sparkling - always something I look for!

We were given our menu and asked for our drinks, which arrived in a timely fashion. Enough time was given to study the comprehensive choice on the menu.. and with no fuss and with the waiters full attention we ordered.

Starters: I had a Chinese Duck Tortilla Wrap - beautiful and very tasty and just the right amount for a starter.

Main course: Chinese Style Sweet and Sour Fish - I wasn't sure what I was going to make of this dish but it was absolutely delicious. It wasn't over facing and stodgy, the ingredients seemed fresh and well prepared, the flavours worked very well and enjoyed the perfectly sized battered fish bites.

With this I had the egg fried rice - the portion was just spot on and the tastes in this were superb complimented if not added to the main meal! I ordered this on the back of a suggestion from the waiter that I might require an additional dish, a sign of the staff actually knowing the menu and good training - impressed!

Both my partner and I had puddings - I am always dubious about having puddings in asian restaurants and tend to just skip straight to a coffee! However in this case there was no reason to question or indeed worry!!

Pudding: Chocolate Fudge Cake with chocolate sauce and a ball of vanilla ice cream (special of the day).
The portion of cake just right for on top of the meal that I had just eaten. The chocolate sauce was not overly hot but not cold and very thick, to die for! The ball of ice cream was just enough to freshen the palette between mouthfuls of rich sumptuous chocolate cake.

To end I had a Baileys - worked well with the pud!

The service throughout the meal was of a high standard and we were looked after very well.

I am very much looking forward to returning soon and hopefully getting a bit more adventurous with my choices from the well rounded menu.

All that is left for me to say is:

Well done and keep up the good work!

1  Thank R H

Dear RH, Thank you for a great review , sorry you had doubts the first time you came, but pleased you really enjoyed your second visit. I realise serving 4 cuisines in one restaurant is daunting, but when you have been here a few times you know the quality of food we serve, and the service and ambiance we try and create it gets much easier. We look forward to welcoming you here again soon. Kind Regards Simon

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Myself and my Fiance have visited Yoyo's several times over the past few years now, we even had our engagement party here as the food and service has always been excellent. This cannot be said for our visit last tuesday evening (23rd October.)

Being a chef at another local Restaurant in the next town, my fiance usually has a quick chat to the owner about buisness and how things are going etc but never considered them to be friends.

I mention this because, as we were about to pay (having had a nice meal) the owner made an extremley rude and personal comment about my fiances appearance. I was totally taken aback and shocked that someone whom weve both spoken to a handful of times would consider it appropriate to make such a comment, and to think our conversation prior to paying was about finding it hard to employ competant/ professional staff in the hospitality industry!! This was beyond unprofessional!

I was so annoyed and upset (as was my fiance) we just left. I am not the type of person to make a scene as there were other diners in the restaurant at the time. I will never return to Yoyo's again! Such a shame.

As you have stated in your review, I have known you for a number of years, and the comment I made to your finance was not intended to be personal, and sincerely apologise for this.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent Saturday night at YoYos, Shipley.

On arriving, we were told that we should make our way to the bar, where we could wait for the remainder of our party to arrive before being seated.

It took an absolute AGE to be served at the bar. Throughout the evening, this seemed to be a problem all of our party encountered. The bar service is very slow.

Unfortunately we couldn't all be seated together (we had 2 separate tables of 10 back-to-back), which definitely did affect the group dynamics as there really was no way to be sociable with the other table. However, we still had a fantastic time.

The food we all ordered was lovely. Really tasty and well presented. I didn't hear any complaints from anyone about the quality - only the expense.

I ordered the salt and pepper spare ribs for a starter (£4.95) and the beef teriyaki, which was priced at £13.95. I was surprised and dismayed to discover that rice wasn't included with the main course, and that I needed to order rice to accompany it - for an additional £2.00! I found this to be a bit of a rip off if I'm being honest.

However, that said, everything that I ordered was delicious, really exceptional taste and obviously is highly regarded as the restaurant was packed. I honestly don't understand why we haven't been coming here more often!

We'll definitely be coming back to YoYos, but in future, we'll only be coming for the prime time menu, which is a tad easier on the hubby's wallet! :-)

Simon D, Owner at Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Mjtafa, Thank you for your comments following your visit to Yo Yo's on Saturday, and am pleased that you enjoyed the food and atmosphere during the evening. Firstly I must apologise about the slow beverage service you experienced, we were a bartender down and when we got busy with Cocktails we were struggling, we usually have three on Friday and Saturday evenings, so for this I do apologise we normally offer a better standard of beverage service. The reason you could not have a table of 20 together, is simply the logistics of getting 20 freshly cooked meals out of our kitchen at the same time it is impossible that is why we had to put your party on two tables next door to each other, even with a table of ten being served no other tables food can be cooked until the larger table has been done. In relation to the prices we charge our Prime Time Meal we offer is excellent value at £12.95 per person for two courses and is available all evening Monday to Thursday but only till 7pm at the weekends. Our A la Carte food prices are on a par with the local restaurants at a round £20.00 per person for food only, but please remember we have to pay 20% VAT on all restaurant sales.As well as the Prime Time Menu, customers on our Data Base also get tweets, text messaging, facebook & E.Mail offers periodically which can range from 15% off the total bill or buy one get one free, so we do try wherever possible to incentivise the customer to make a return visit. I do hope that following on from your largely positive comments that you will make a return visit to Yo Yo's again soon. Kind Regards Simon

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Always a lively atmosphere with good music and exceptional bar and waiting staff. The food is always cooked fresh by chefs that are visible to all. Very varied menu for food and drinks. Must be THE top venue in Shipley

1  Thank Kev F
Simon D, Owner at Yo Yo Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Kev F, Thanks for the comments about what you think of Yo Yo's , although a couple slated me the other evening about the choice of music we played, but am pleased the majority of our customers like the choice of music we play, after all you cannot please everyone. Look forward to seeing you back at Yo Yo's soon. Regards Simon