“Uneasy feeling”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Shipley
London, United Kingdom
“Uneasy feeling”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

The room was basic (very old building). The concern is with the strange man running hotel. I asked for a heater, he said "No", I asked for a blanket and he said "No, your bed has a great duvet wrapped round it"... I said "but the room is cold", at which he suddenly shivered, agreed "it is cold actually" and put the heating on..? At breakfast my colleagues and I requested receipts and he said sarcastically "What all 3 of you? What for? You don't need that?", and we left without receipts for our company. As we left I heard him yelling into the phone "NO, she didn't work that much and I've not given her HALF pay". We all found him aggressive and were glad to leave.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank StarDame

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

I didn't get a chance to see what the hotel was like. When I arrived, on the day, I was told that a double booking had been made, and he refunded the money.,

On the Wednesday before Christmas, (ie 17 December 2008, I drove from my home in the South Leeds area to look at the hotel. I needed accommodation for the night of 21 December. I knocked at the door, and the proprietor came and I said that I would like a single room for that particular night. He said he had a room, and I said that I would take it, though he said he couldn't show it to me. I asked how I should pay, on the internet, or there and then. He said I might as well pay then, and I gave him cash, for which he gave me a receipt. I asked if he wanted details of my internet address, and home address, and he said 'No'. When I had left to go back to my car, he chased me down the street, to say 'can I have your mobile number, in case I am not going to be in at 1 pm.' (That was check-in time according to the information on the internet.) I said that I didn't have a mobile phone.

I got there about 12.45, and went a short walk round and about, and arrived at 1 o'clock, only to find he was there with the £30 to give me back, because there was a double booking. Then he said 'that was why you should have given me a mobile number.' I told him that I had offered my email address, which he had declined. He did give me the name of another hotel nearby, where there happened to be a vacancy, and I stayed there, very happily. But the delay meant I had to curtail some arrangements for that Sunday afternoon.

Had he accepted my email address, he could have told me well in advance. Very inefficient, I thought.

JOHN

• Liked — Did not get the chance to see it
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank Johntilbury_123

Travelers are raving about these Shipley hotels

Ottawa, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

If you are a budget traveller and have few options, then this hotel should be acceptable.

But, if you're looking for comfort and style - keep on looking.

We booked at the last minute, so I guess we should be grateful. But this place was as barren as an army barracks!

I'll point out that the room was clean, the bed linens spotless, the shower had hot water and the roof didn't leak.

But - the bed was hard as a rock, the pillows thin. The bathroom light didn't work (to be fair, the staff noticed it and fixed it without our asking). While the room was a fair size, it was very bland - no money had been spent on decor. Same with the downstairs public rooms - and it's a shame, because the building is lovely. Some framed artwork, carpets and plants would really make the place more welcoming.

Staff were pleasant enough - but that didn't make up for the meagre breakfast - it was a "full" English breakfast - but the portions were economical at best - not even additional hot water to get another cup of tea.

Worst was the paper thin walls, which enabled us to hear every whisper made by other guests - and to hear the hotel staff fighting and using four-letter language....

My advice - plan ahead, and find another hotel.

• Liked — The exterior is charming
  • Disliked — Barren, sterile interior and uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank loriinottawa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#18 of 27 in Bradford
The Highfield
The Highfield
#17 of 27 in Bradford

Been to Homeleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!