“Great new menu”

The Woolpack
Ranked #8 of 86 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This lovely traditional country pub has to be the most famous 'working' pub in the country, as it is the original Emmerdale Woolpack and the only 'soap' pub where you can actually get a drink. It has a well-stocked bar and fine cask ales, and a tasty menu with plenty of choices for all appetites and budgets. The outside of the building provides a great photo opportunity and the inside is adorned with pictures of cast members, both present and past, providing a real trip down memory lane. The kitchen is closed on Monday and Tuesday during the day but it is steak night on Tuesdays, quiz nights on Thursdays and there is a popular classic car rally in the car park very second Wednesday between April and September.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We got married in Esholt church 17 years ago and celebrated this year's anniversary with an evening meal in The Woolpack. Upon arrival we received a friendly welcome and were offered a table of our choice. Drinks were served very quickly. The menu is very good and is, apparently, new. Good choice of meat, fish and vegetarian. The food is cooked to a very high standard and wouldn't be out of place in some top end restaurants. We both enjoyed a three course meal and were very impressed. We will not be leaving it for another 17 years before we return. Thank you to the bar and kitchen staff for marking our anniversary with a memorable meal. Also thank you to the chef for the complimentary drink, cheers!

Date of visit: September 2019
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at The Woolpack, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi The Wagsta,
We are so pleased to hear that your trip back to Esholt on your anniversary was made even more enjoyable with a visit to the Woolpack. We are so pleased you liked our warm welcome and friendly service and liked the new Autumn/Winter menu. As you say, we have tried to provide plenty of choice for all tastes and budgets. Hopefully we will see you again soon. Thanks for posting the review, we really appreciate it as it really does give a massive boost for the team's morale.

Write a reviewReviews (434)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Been here before and really enjoyed the whole package. I’d phoned to book prior and was told their menu had changed and to have a look on the website. I did but it only shows the lunchtime menu we were having dinner, I assumed it would be similar.
this trip we Arrived at our allotted time of 6.30 and advised to sit at our table we were given the menus by our waitress, she was very polite. Firstly the choice were very limited we were a group of 5 with 3 vegetarians who’s only choice was linguini!!
There was nothing for my 15 year old son as nothing on there appealed. In the end we asked for 2 linguini (£13 each ) and a lamb shank (at £18 ) and two portion of chips (£2.50 each) as my vegetarian daughter can’t it pasta.
We waited for what seemed an age.my linguini finally arrived and looked very nice, and indeed it was then the lamb shank which in my opinion was not worth £18 Then 2 bowls of chips. We waited a minute for the other linguini but it didn’t come. We ask the waitress who said “ I didn’t hear you say 2 “ our reply you weren’t our waitress, this was probably an automatic response. Any way she went to see what had happened and came back saying she was very sorry and gave us with a bowl of what she said was the bit they didn’t use that all they had left. What it looked like to us was the leftovers you’d give your dog at the end of dinner. Needless to say my husband didn’t eat it. She also said we won’t charge you for that , very good job too.
I’m not sure but I think it’s changed hands or it has new staff the landlord seemed a very nice man but some of the other staff appeared quite miserable.
It’s such a shame as I know previous times we have been it’s been a brilliant place but I think this will be our last time.

1  Thank bobstevejenny
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at The Woolpack, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi bobstevejenny,
We are so sorry that you didn’t enjoy your meal and you think it will be the last time you visit us, especially as you have had brilliant times before. Naturally we are disappointed you did not give us a great review on that/those occasions.
The evening menu is on the website as I uploaded it myself. I have checked again and it is in the menu section under its own heading.
It sounds as though the whole evening got off to a bad start as the new menu was not to your family’s liking. You say the choice is very limited but it offers six starters, seven mains and five desserts. For vegetarians, as well as the Roasted Vegetable Linguine, they could also have had Roasted Goats Cheese, Red Pepper puff pastry tart, or the homemade soup using vegetables from the allotment.
The waitress is so sorry that she misheard you about the linguine. She obviously tried to rectify the mistake but came up short, for which we apologise. I can assure you it would have all been made at the same time but we realise that is no consolation.
Naturally, we are pleased you enjoyed your linguine. I presume you also enjoyed the lamb shank, but you don’t say.
I can assure you, it hasn’t changed hands – we have been here five years – but when reviewing the pattern of trade we know it is mainly adults who dine with us in the evenings when the schools go back after the holidays That is why we have put on a more upmarket adult-orientated a la carte menu to draw in people from the local area during the autumn/winter months. The feedback has been great, hence why we are so disappointed by your feedback.
Thanks for saying I was a very nice man. The rest of the team are great too and certainly not miserable. You even commented that the waitress was very polite. She is mortified you thought she was miserable.
I am sorry to have gone on a bit but we all really care about the Woolpack and want people to really enjoy the experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Fantastic new menu, well, worth a visit, friendly and pleasant staff, couldn’t fault it. Can’t wait to go back, two of our party had mussels and both commented that they where some of the best they had ever had

Hi Hazel,

Thanks you so much for your fabulous review. We have received excellent feedback from diners about the new evening a la carte menu, which is proving to be really popular. As the schools have now gone back, we wanted to create an adult-orientated menu for people to enjoy over the autumn/winter evenings, when the fire is lit and the place is really cosy. Although it is early days we are delighted the menu has been such a hit. Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly, let me say we have been to The Woolpack a number of times for food, and, generally the food is good and the service is friendly and helpful. It was for these reasons we booked in advance to have a meal to celebrate my wife’s birthday.
We arrived at the pub a little early and took our table at the allotted time. Even though the pub wasn’t particularly busy it did take a long time to take our order of 2 starters and 7 mains. This was no big issue, we sat and had another drink (which we had to get from the bar ourselves). In the meantime, the table to the left of us sent some of their meals back. The starters arrived and were the usual quality. After about 80 minutes we still had not been served our mains, and, the table to the right complained about something wrong with their meal. We were sat near the kitchen and could hear raised voices, the ‘chef’ then proceeded to come out and start a stand-up row with the people at the table. After what seemed about 10 minutes of this we did comment that perhaps this wasn’t the place to be arguing with a customer and maybe to take it somewhere a bit more private. We had now been seated 90 minutes and still no mains, again, rather louder raised voices from the kitchen. Our server then approached us to say the ‘chef’ had binned our meals and would no longer be prepared to serve us! Needless to say, we left with no payment and a somewhat spoilt birthday for my wife. No apology from the ‘chef’ apart from more abuse and telling us he had been working all day, the server did make the effort to apologise.

Very, very disappointing and a shame for what is still a traditional pub in the current climate of these sort of places shutting down far too often.

6  Thank BSlinger

Hi BSlinger.
You are right in your headline; it was all of those. It's even more so now that you have posted it on such a public forum.
I know it is no consolation but the chef received some really tragic news about his best friend and it has affected him very badly. The table to your right were extremely rude to him and it tipped him over the edge.
We can only apologise again. Naturally we are giving him our full support as he comes to terms with the news.
I am sorry that this incident has undone all our good work in the past, when you have enjoyed yourself.

Reviewed September 6, 2019 via mobile

We were staying in Leeds for the weekend and had been to the Emmerdale Studio Tour on the Saturday amongst other things. I had been to the Woolpack as a teenager back in the early 90's. I remembered it wasn't too far out of Leeds and it might be a good choice to call in for Sunday lunch , unfortunately the chef was taking time off on compassionate grounds. We still had a look around and a drink. I found the staff to be friendly enough and the patrons didn't all seem to be locals who stared at you as I read on one of the reviews. It's just a regular village pub, but notorious because it was used as the exterior of the Woolpack pub on Emmerdale up until the late 90's before filming moved to a purpose built set in the grounds of the Harewood estate.

There was plentiful parking at the rear of the pub and the toilets were very clean I tidy. We had a quick stroll around the street in the drizzle before setting off to find food elsewhere, but I would definitely return and try some food next time I am in the area.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review. We are a friendly bunch and as you say and no one stares at you unless you are an Emmerdale star perhaps. Thanks for your understanding and it is great to hear you will be visiting us again.