“Excellent little spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vicars Cafe Bistro - CLOSED

Vicars Cafe Bistro
Cuisines: British, Cafe, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Bradford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent little spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Charming gem of a restaurant during Friday and Saturday evenings and a great cafe during the day.

The food when we went on Friday evening was very good and reasonably priced as was the wine. Service was attentive and the staff were very pleasant as always.
It has a great setting in the middle of the world heritage site and is decorated in a simple but cosy manner.
Will no doubt go again both for a quick coffee and an enjoyable evening out.

1 Thank Philip B

Shipley
“great place to relax and enjoy good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

just been to vicars cafe/bistro for an evening meal. there is a lot of choice around the saltaire area but this informal bistro (only open in the evening on fridays +saturdays) is by far the best for value and lovely food. great atmosphere + service too.

Bradford, United Kingdom
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Very friendly staff, food came quickly and the salads are lovely.
Good location and close to the train station.
Will visit again

• Visited September 2012
West Yorkshire
“Very Pleasant Evening!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I had notices that Vicars was now serving a Bistro menu on Fri & Sat evenings and have been meaning to try it out. This weekend we managed it!

The style is, well, rustic! Bare wooden board cottage kitchen style tables and chapel chairs but it has a certain charm about it!

I popped in on Sat morning to book a table and did so for 8pm. I was a little concerned that we were the only entry in the bookings diary and that we would be dining alone, but when we arrived there were several other tables occupied!

The evening menu is somewhat restricted but varied - unfortunately this was not helped by the fact that one of the starters was not available but such things happen in the best of places!

For a starter my wife had the goats cheese tart and I have the fried potato and chorizo in tomato sauce - both of which were excellent. The 'catch of the day' was fish pie which, according to my wife, was fine, but nothing special. I chose the slow cooked brisket which was, again, excellent. Both portions were generous and a side order of potatoes and fresh veg was served.

The desserts were, again, generous and very tasty. As we were now the only diners we decided to skip coffee - not that we were made to feel that we should, on the contrary, the service from the tow young ladies was attentive and charming.

The bill, including a beer and a soft drink came to just over £40, which I thought was excellent value for money.

We shall certainly return and recommend.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Almost but not quite...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I really wanted to be wholly positive about this place: the welcome was warm, the ambiance pleasant, the service was prompt and attentive - although we did wait a while for our food - and my husband and daughter really enjoyed their food which represented decent value for money. Unfortunately I ordered the chicken & bacon salad because I didn't want to eat bread. The salad cost £6.50 so I expected something fairly substantial. It was actually the most basic of salads: mixed leaves, a few tomatoes, some cucumber, a tiny amount (about a goujon) of chicken cut into miniscule pieces and a slightly larger amount of bacon. As I side-salad it might have been just about acceptable but as a main course, and one of the most expensive items on the menu, it left a lot to be desired. I love the whole social enterprise idea and may well return at some point but I would advise steering clear of the sad salad.