“Don't bother”

Massarella's Cafe Bar & Fine Art
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Massarella's has established itself as one of the finest Cafe Bars in the area offering high quality soups, paninis, sandwiches, fine wines and local bottled beers, as well as serving superb coffee by Barista-trained coffee makers.Situated on Saltaire's main thoroughfare at 14 Victoria Road, we are equally well known for our Art Gallery which showcases some of the best local artists in the area.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

3 of us arrived at cafe and first warning we failed to heed was the waitress asking if we wanted to know what the soup of the day was ................but not actually knowing herself. When she came back and told us and we ordered it - she then said there was only 2 portions left. We ordered something else and I was asked 4 x what my order was, I could understand if it was complex, but a simple ham, onion and tom toastie? However. They had plenty of time to consider it in the kitchen as we waited, and waited and waited again. We asked 2 x and eventually one order came, the other 2 followed about 10 mins later (but not before I was asked for the 4th time about my sandwich) Oh and we also had to ask for cutlery 2 as there wasn't any around and we weren't given any. Plus there were no condiments readily availaable and I had to ask again for salt and pepper. I mentioned the long wait ans was told they were super busy - however, they couldn't say what doing as the cafe was half empty - quite frankly the food was very average - rubbish. My friend's cheese and pickle sandwich was dry and the salad a poor attempt. The soup I am assured was ok, but cold. My toastie - the one that had them foxed? Was barely warm, the ham was fatty and the wait there were 2 strings of red onion, no butter, no taste. Avoid this overpriced rubbish cafe. Service was poor, food poor

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Carol C
Sam64_13, Manager at Massarella's Cafe Bar & Fine Art, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Having read your remarks about my business on Trip Advisor, I feel I have to reply to your complaints. I find it difficult to understand how the soup could be cold as it is probed with a thermometer before being sent out at 75 degrees. If, as you say, the soup wasn’t hot why did you not send it back. Re the toasted sandwich: someone, maybe myself as I work in the kitchen, would have checked that you did not want cheese in it. Most customers do. We do not put butter on toasted sandwiches as it makes them sickly. As for the ham being fatty, it was not, as we do not serve cheap fatty ham and we chop the onion very finely. You say the cheese and pickle sandwich was dry. I find this also rather strange as I use butter, Wensleydale and pickle. As for my salads, I use only fresh green leafy salad, peppers, cucumber, carrot and homemade coleslaw (not just lettuce). I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Massarella’s and I am disappointed that you did not tell us at the time. However, with 50 excellent and 10 very good reports on this site, I must be doing something right.
Everyone is always asked before they leave if everything was all right, and seeing as you were so disappointed, I am bemused as to why you did not complain at the time, but waited until afterwards.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not so good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

After coming up to West Yorkshire for a few days , me and my husband visited Saltaire and thought we would have a coffee and some soup at Masseralla`s The soup took ages and was stone cold , the owner was quite rude and could hear her bad mouthing other customers to her staff . Looking through a few comments I have read this is not the ideal place to be in Saltaire and we found much better places on our stay in West Yorkshire . I would advise people to stay clear of this place if you're wanting a nice friendly atmosphere and good food because you certainly won`t get it here

Ann

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ann j
Having read your remarks on Trip Advisor I cannot understand why if, as you say, the soup was stone cold, you did not send it back or mention it to one of the staff. I also cannot understand how it was stone cold as I use a temperature probe and no soup goes out of the kitchen unless it is 75 degrees. I am sorry if you thought I was rude, but as for me bad mouthing other customers to my staff that is not something I would do. You say that, “looking through a few comments I have read, this is not the ideal place to be in Saltaire.’ I feel you have only read the negative comments and not any of the 50 excellent and 10 very good comments; a lot of them commenting on the amazing soup that we serve. Everyone is asked before they leave if everything was alright for them and did they enjoy the food. Surprisingly I did not hear you complain here or ask to speak to me, the owner, which would have been preferable.
Yorkshire
“Cafe and Art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

After visiting Salt's Mill I was looking for a bit to eat and came across this cafe. It was very quiet when we arrived but soon filled up. I opted for the soup of the day. This seemed homemade and tasted flavoursome. My friend had a sandwich which was served with a side salad which apparently tasted very good. I enjoyed viewing the art whilst I ate and it was useful to look at some of the leaflets on display advertising local events.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank sunrise99
“Proprietor scared me away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Last weekend, I went into this attractive and rather well located cafe whilst on an outing with my elderly mother. We were looking for a quiet place to catch our breath, a cup of coffee and a piece of cake. We got more - and less - than we expected. We did get an excellent cup of coffee - nicely served by a quirky, bespectacled, ginger haired waiter! - but the cakes had run out. The worst part of our visit however, was the proprietor, who shouted at her staff in a really unpleasant fashion. This upset my mother and what should have been a pleasant afternoon out was spoiled. There are other, more welcoming tea shops in this delightful area.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Fairy234
Shipley, England, United Kingdom
“afternoon tea,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

thought it was expensive ,nice decor ,liked the china that was fr sale , also the paintings were nice, not very busy, had a coffee &piece of cake. too quiet fr me prefer busy places, worth a visit ,

Visited June 2012