“A Hidden Gem”

Waterside Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #2 of 70 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located on the banks of the canal, directly opposite the Ibis Hotel, the Waterside Restaurant and Bar is Shipley's secret retaurant.In its idyllic location, the restaurant offers a range of British dishes to suit every taste and appetite. The food is locally sourced and high quality and the dishes are freshly cooked to order. With the opportunity to eat and drink 'alfresco' in the covered courtyard on warmer days, there really is no better place to dine out in the area. Come and discover for yourself. Brunch available for light snacks, Coffee and a range of Teas for a leisurely drinks by the canal.
Leeds
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

From the moment you arrive at the Waterside you know you have stumbled across a hidden gem! When you arrive it looks nothing special and you follow the signs where you suddenly find yourself at the top of a stair case (lift for those not able to do the stairs) looking down on a romantic scene of the canal front, a ceiling of fairy lights and rustic wooden tables set for 2 with fresh roses and candles flickering! The outside space is actually covered but the roof is so high it isn't intrusive and you feel like you are sat outside. Inside is a lovely seating area tot he side by the bar with cosy armchairs. We were seated at a lovely table, the music was subtle but fitted the evening perfectly. The menu is a problem....choosing that is! Starters are impressive......seafood risotto, pate, mussels, mini roast dinner ever! I went for the pigeon on a bed of black pudding mash and cabbage and my other half went for the mushroom tart on a bed of salad leaves. Both were delicious and a perfect size-both would have also made a lovely main course too as the care and attention put into the starters was incredible. Our main courses arrived and the food was lovely and fresh...once again another dilemma choosing! There was fish and duck and chicken as well as a specials board of steaks. I had a chicken breast on a bed of pasta with a lovely bacon and cream sauce. My other half went for the beef pie which has a choice of puff or short pastry and lovely large chunks of beef, served with mash and gravy. The pudding menu was equally as tempting with pineapple tart, cheese board and apple crumble. We went for a dark chocolate and banana cheesecake to share (which shows the portion sizes are decent-we don't often share a pudding!) It was served in a glass and was full of flavour and a lovely fresh flavour. I am not a wine buff but the chalkboard offered 32 different wines and a full bar selection. The prices are average for the area, main courses are almost cheap in comparison to some places we have visited recently. Starters were around the £6-9 mark and main course £12 up to 25 for a T bone steak. Our bill for 2 courses each, shared pudding, 2 large wines and 2 soft drinks was around the £55 mark. For a romantic intimate meal or a grown up meal with friends and family this place is a gem hidden down a side street you must find. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LeedsMaxine
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Hi LeedsMaxine,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fabulous review. I see that you chose from our new Autumn menu which has been a hit with customers since we introduced it last week.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Otley, United Kingdom
“Very friendly staff & great food - warning - book early!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

You need to book early in the week to be sure of a Saturday night table. We've missed out on a couple of occassions by leaving it too late to book.

It's an excwellent restaurant, the waiters and waistresses engage you in genuine conversation and are interested in catering for exactly what you want.

Great food as well in a very friendly atmosphere.

• Visited July 2012
Bradford, United Kingdom
“What a coverup!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had booked the Waterside Restaurant many weeks ago for Sat 15th September for 10 people for friends visiting us for the Saltaire festival. Upon arriving we were immediately told they had no booking for 10!. From the outset we knew we were being told lies. We do not accept that they did not have our booking. There was a comment made about problems in the kitchen and they had had to let two staff go home! This booking was at 9.00pm and looking through the restaurant window it was not fully booked. There was obviously some coverup but to blatantly make out that they had no such booking was absolutely disgusting. We shall never eat at this restaurant and will never recommend it. Their loss!!

Visited September 2012
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hi Nicola,

Sincere apologies, once again, for the mix up on Saturday night. As I mentioned when I managed to catch you as you were leaving the Tapas Tree opposite, we had investigated further and saw that we had your booking for the following Saturday (22 Sept). We were mortified. Naturally we are not sure whether the wrong date was given to us when booking or whether we entered it on the wrong day. Whichever it was, we unreservedly apologise if it was our fault. I thought my apology had been accepted by the people I spoke to within your group.

We all make mistakes in life but we have quickly realised that in this business if you do make a genuine one, not only do you have to endure the wrath of the customer but your error will also be posted on sites like this for the whole world to see and your business could suffer because of it.

It is a shame that one mistake has put you off visiting us for life and means that you will never recommend us, but sadly such is the unforgiving and harsh way of life today.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food, great service - definitely worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I visited this restaurant with a friend after hearing a few friends giving it good reviews and I'm glad we gave it a go! Firstly, the canal setting is lovely, unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough for us to sit outside so we will be returning on a hotter day to take full advantage of the views!
Upon arriving, both James the chef and Peter introduced themselves which I found to be a nice personal touch. They were both very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. Peter brought over the wine which was very good value for money. The service was great, our order was taken and the food was brought to us very promptly.
The food was beautiful. To start I had chicken thigh spring rolls which were perfect and very well presented! As a main I had lamb shank which is always one of my favourites, I have to say this was one of the best lamb shank dishes I have ever had!
Overall I would definitely recommend the restaurant to anyone. Excellent setting, service and food! I will be returning! And can't wait to try out the desserts menu!

• Visited September 2012
It was really good to meet you when you visited us and I am really pleased you liked our personal touch. We are getting some fabulous comments from our customers about the food so we are really pleased you have posted your feedback on here.

As you say the setting is great. Despite the awful weather we have had this summer people have still been able to sit out on warmer days as it is undercover.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.
“Beautiful food, in a beautiful setting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We choose to go to the Waterside for my husband's birthday, as it was highly recommend by a friend, we were not disappointed! From the moment we walked down the steps felt welcome and valued customers. We was Lucky enough to have gone on the only hot evening in August and got to sit outside... just perfect! Service was brilliant, food was gorgeous, everyone enjoyed it 9 adults 1child not a complaint. We didn't have a dessert as we were so full and had a birthday cake at home, me and husband will be back soon to try it out as they all sounded and looked amazing!! Would now highly recommend to anyone as my friend to me, it's a must!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are really pleased we helped to make your husband’s birthday special with the quality of the food and the service. We are introducing the new autumn menu so hopefully you will visit us soon to try it out.