“Love this B&B”

Norwood Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Accrington B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I’ve stayed here on numerous occasions and can wholeheartedly say that I’ve never been disappointed. The rooms are immaculately and tastefully decorated and the bedding is quality cotton. On top of the usual facilities, the owner thoughtfully adds numerous DVDs in the rooms which are a really nice touch, and Wi-Fi is available and free. Last but not least, the breakfast is outstanding with a wide range of options and cooked to perfection every time. I really look forward to it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wendy L

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great value for money. Well presented guest house with many little extras in the room...shoe cleaning kit, DVDs, alarm clock, tea, coffee and hot chocolate with biscuits (and many of them), not two or three milk cartons but as many as you might want,every type of bathroom luxury you could want - shampoos, shower cream, tissues, etc etc . Very comfortable bed. Excellent breakfast...fruit or cereal, massive full english and toast. Good wifi in room. Nothing seemed too great for the owner to provide. I think the negative review must have been written for another establishment as I don't recognise it for this guest house! Good decor. Wish i could find a guest house like this in other parts of the UK.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin P
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Can't say anything negative about this B+B.
We were made very welcome even after we arrived late and had to ring for directions.
Stuart was a true gent in every way.
The room was very comfy,clean and well appointed with Tea/Coffee etc.inc.DVD's!
The icing on the cake was the BEST full english breakfast ever!!
You won't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin B
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 17/10 until 19/10 and it was lovely! I had my iPad which connected perfectly fine to the wifi in the room, I spoke to the owner shortly before I was due arrive to let them know I would be later than anticipated he was very polite and courteous and the lady who was there to meet me and I think was running the hotel while the owner was away couldn't have been more helpful! The cooked breakfast was the best I have had in a B&B. I really can't see what the negative views are about but that's just my opinion my stay was made very comfortable and pleasant

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My original review was taken down by tripadvisor as 'someone' had complained that I was reviewing aspects of the hotel I hadn't experienced. I would reiterate that I never actually got as far as the hotel, this is simply a customer service review. Original review...

I had to cancel my visit the day before my stay. I telephoned the hotel and spoke to the owner, who told me that there would be no refund at all. He directed me to the hotel's website where, under the Terms tab, this is indeed the position, but it would have been helpful if it had been mentioned on the phone, or on the 'tariff' page of the website where it would be read. I can understand a small hotel not offering refunds on late notice cancellation however, and I don't criticise them for it.

Unfortunately, what should have been a perfectly business-like phone call was dealt with very rudely and aggressively by the owner. The call proceeded very amicably until I remarked that the (rather concealed) policy was 'poor customer service'. I was told, in a rage, that I was being offensive, then treated to a tirade about his terms and conditions, his legal training, and the pressure he was under to run his business. He has, as another commenter has put it, no people skills at all.

Ttis may well be a lovely hotel, and is reasonably priced, but I would hesitate before staying in case something went wrong with my stay and I had to deal with someone with such a Napolean complex. As I told him on the phone, it's a shame - I would like to stay in independent hotels rather than chains, but characters like this so often mean that the important qualities of customer service and professionalism are completely lacking.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
16  Thank MustrumRidcully
norwood349, General Manager at Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2015

We have been attached please note that we have been in the hotel business for 30 years and The negative comments are merely as a result of the dozen or so people who abused the property importantly in the last 7 years that trip advisor have been without our approval been reviewing our business Nb several comments have not even stayed and were attacked by an individual who got their friends to write several review, trip advisor were alerted to this however they failed to respond to us

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for 4 weeks with work colleagues, We had 3 rooms booked for the month, but two of the rooms were only used 2-3 days per week but charged for seven which would be fine only when there were not using them he would rent them out also. The first 3 weeks went without any issues except for the fact that as we would leave early (6.30-7.00) there was no hot breakfast, which was fine. The house itself is a fine and well maintained building as far as B&Bs goes,

Rooms: - comfortable bed, kettle with tea, coffee and biscuits available, television with DVDs in room, en-suite well maintained also, soaps towels Etc.

Now the interesting bit, The Owner/Madnager

Meet Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, never before have I meet a more obnoxious individual, when I informed him that we were not going to book a further 4 weeks in his establishment his whole attitude changed into what could be only be classed as a raven lunatic, he accused me of smoking in the room, which for the record I never did, even said he had found ash on the outside window ledge. He informed he was also a lawyer and could take me to court if he wanted, not sure about that fact. This was then followed by him verbally abusing a work colleague for leaving a phone charger plugged in. The last incident was when another colleague was informed there was no hot breakfast available, when he queried this he was told to leave immediately or the proprietor would call the police, when informed to do so he went on what could only be classified as meltdown mode.
Again you may be one of the lucky patrons who stay here and will not be subjected to our Jekyll & Hyde, Good Luck.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
13  Thank Martin L
management309, Public Relations Manager at Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

we have been proven to be subjected to a harmful campaign directed by individuals against the buisness, we ask that all reviews are ignored for their content as they never stayed at the property and are written by malicious attackers, we have notified the authorities.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed here for one night. Welcomed by a very helpful lady who also served breakfast. I had a spotless room with every conceivable extra that you would not expect in a B &B - bath robe, specialist teas, videos, etc. The cooked breakfast was probably the best I have ever eaten. I will certainly use this guest house in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SouthamptonMaggot

Been to Norwood Guest House? Share your experiences!