All reviews nacka strand sea view honesty bar minute ferry ride city centre separate building boat stop breakfast is served living room relaxing hotel during summer overlooking the water breakfast room new england style cold meats very pleasant stay stayed for one night
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed for one night (I wish it was more!) at this beautiful boutique hotel. We stayed in a J Newport Seaview room and it couldn't have been more perfect. The room had a terrace over-looking the sea and we enjoyed a bottle of wine on the terrace before dinner. The hotel and subsequently all the rooms are decorated in a 'New England/Hamptons' style with linens and towels from Gant.
Yes you have to get a boat to get there and it's located a little bit outside of Stockholm but the transport links are great and who doesn't want to get on a boat to get to a fabulous hotel?! Adds to the charm of it all. The harbour where you catch the boat to and from Nybroplan is a couple of minutes walk down the hill which is also where J Restaurant is located. We ate here and I couldn't fault it. The service was great and it was a warm evening so we had dinner whilst watching the sun set.
Very friendly and helpful staff and all in all a great hotel. Will definitely be returning

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely relaxed hotel on the water edge. Excellent rooms. Very limited choice of wine. Beautiful breakfast room. 2 minute walk from a small marina.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed a week at Nacka Island for a conference at Nacka Strandsmässan. I must say that the Hotel J was a terrific choice in many aspects. First, it is just a short walk up the hill to the conference center. This was the main reason I chose the hotel and it worked out great. Most of the other attendees had a much more complicated commute from hotels in the city. Hotel J also has an impressive selection for breakfast. I have seldom seen such a spread in my travels throughout Europe. They had a couple types of eggs, bacon, various cold meats, cheese, and a selection of fresh breads. The chef even baked a special loaf of bread for a friend of mine. We ate a wonderful dinner at the cozy restaurant right above the breakfast area. It was delicious and convenient. On the nights we wanted to go to the city, Stockholm was easily accessible by the ferry which stops nearby. The staff at Hotel J was extremely helpful and they were available all night long. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The bathroom even had a heated floor. I will definitely be staying at the Hotel J the next time I am in Stockholm.

Room Tip: I had a wonderful view of the sea and the large ocean liners passing by. Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was really looking forward to this trip to Stockholm and to Hotel J and was not disappointed. Having looked at the previous reviews I had taken their comments on board and had prepared myself for the transport and eating issues.

The Location was amazing and we were given a free upgrade to a sea view for our wedding anniversary which was great. The room was extremely comfortable and spacious. The bathroom especially had everything you could wish for. Even very low lighting so that if you needed to get up in the middle of the night you did not disturb anyone else! The bed was so big and comfortable I did not want to get up. Only slight downside was the curtains let in quite a lot of light and as it doesn't really get dark at night this woke me up quite early.

I really missed having my morning cup of tea or coffee as there wasn't any facility in the room.

Breakfast was really lovely and everything was replenished without having to ask. It was only busy one morning out of 4. Having to walk outside was part of the charm of this hotel.

If you want to use this hotel for a short break I would suggest buying a Stockholm Card from the tourist information before you go. There is a discount online and they deliver it to your door. This covers all transport including the Slovagan boats Misigu and Ballerina which leave from Nybroplan. We found the departure point quite difficult to find but once we did we used the boats every day and they were quite regular. One point of interest was that it was Midsummer Holiday and the timetable reflected this. If you wanted to pay other operators these were plentiful.

As we missed the last boat on Midsummer Day we decided to get the bus, having the Stockholm Card meant we did not have to go to the bother of getting tickets etc. Unfortunately we had missed the last bus from Slussen the 443 which goes directly to Nacka Strand at 6.30 on a holiday! We managed to get the 409 which drops off at Nacka Forum which is within walking distance to Hotel J. These buses ran very frequently.

In order to get the bus the best thing to do is go down to Hotel J Restaurant and get the finicular up the hill. The bus stop is directly ahead.

Also I would suggest booking your journey on the Arlanda Express from the airport in advance as for the whole of this summer there is a 2 for 1 ticket available which saves you 280 Kronor off.

Stockholm is extremely expensive, food is almost double that in the UK and a glass of wine is about £11. This should be bourne in mind when complaining about prices in the hotel. I found everyone extremely helpful and friendly and would certainly recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jillybean43
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Hotel J in Stockholm, and as indicated above there are some good, average and poor/bad elements.
Firstly good points:
Breakfast is of good qaulity, it is a buffet and given that eating out in Stockholm can at times be eye wateringly expensive it's well worth filling up on.
Location, although this can be both a postive and negative, it is on the waters edge and has a gorgeous sunset, but it's a boat or bus ride from Stockholm. The boat will cost about £9.00 return per person.
Secondly average;
We were given inaccurate advice for the most basic questions, where to buy bus tickets, as you can't purchase them on the bus and the hotel doesn't sell them, we were advised to buy them at the tobaccanist but on Saturday the shop is closed so having walked around the local area (Nacka Strand) we finaly found the closed shop.
We asked for ferry information to the outer archipelaga which was also inaccurate, e.g. times destinations etc.
Thirdly, bad points: We had to ask for the towels in the room to be changed, we also had to ask for bath robes which we didn't have at all, and we still didn't get slippers despite asking.
We booked and paid for a deluxe sea view room and were given room 458. This room has a balcony with an enormous tree directly in front of it, so although you can see the sea to the left and right, the view is obstucted, definately not a deluxe view. If you book and pay for this type of room which is expensive, ask for a room change if offered 458. The building that the rooms are located in are up several quite steep flights of outdoor stairs and are some way back from the waters edge. The balcony had only 1 chair on it and was not big enough to accommodate another, so as a couple not so good.
We were told by reception staff not put any additional logs on the fire in the lounge as it was smelling, to my knowledge burning wood smells of.. well... burning wood, not good customer service.
Some staff at breakfast were very grumpy, shouting at us that it was time to leave, weekday breakfast is only until 9.30am so don't expect a lie in.
My biggest complaint that the hotel should address is the restaurants, they have two, a club house on site, and a brasserie that is a 5 - minute walk from the hotel. While we were there the Club House was closed for 2 - nights, had a private reception for 1 night, and was fully booked the other, (note, this hotel provides corporate facilities and this seems to take priority from hotel guests). We were refused a table here, no tables are kept back for hotel guests, and given that you don't always know what you want to do with your evenings after a day spent sightseeing this is pretty poor. The Brasserie had a private reception on 1 night, and was fully booked on the 2 - nights that we tried to get a table. Do not rely on eating at either restaurants after a day of sightseeing if you have not booked days in advance.
Staff were overall of a poor standard, aside from one lady at reception who booked us a table at a restaurant on a nearby island (this was a boat ride away, £20.00 return trip on the boat and expensive), having been turned away from both Hotel J's establishments, the staff were entirely unhelpful and at times rude.
Stockholm is beautiful but expensive and the cost of transport to and from central Stockholm
to Hotel J should be a consideration when booking.
Mr & Mrs Morgan. UK.

Room Tip: If you pay for a deluxe sea view room, change from room 458.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple