All reviewsnacka strandsea viewhonesty barminute ferry ridecity centreseparate buildingboat stopbreakfast is servedliving roomlovely hotelduring summeroverlooking the waterbreakfast roomnew england stylecold meatsvery pleasant staystayed for one night
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely relaxed hotel on the water edge. Excellent rooms. Very limited choice of wine. Beautiful breakfast room. 2 minute walk from a small marina.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed a week at Nacka Island for a conference at Nacka Strandsmässan. I must say that the Hotel J was a terrific choice in many aspects. First, it is just a short walk up the hill to the conference center. This was the main reason I chose the hotel and it worked out great. Most of the other attendees had a much more complicated commute from hotels in the city. Hotel J also has an impressive selection for breakfast. I have seldom seen such a spread in my travels throughout Europe. They had a couple types of eggs, bacon, various cold meats, cheese, and a selection of fresh breads. The chef even baked a special loaf of bread for a friend of mine. We ate a wonderful dinner at the cozy restaurant right above the breakfast area. It was delicious and convenient. On the nights we wanted to go to the city, Stockholm was easily accessible by the ferry which stops nearby. The staff at Hotel J was extremely helpful and they were available all night long. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The bathroom even had a heated floor. I will definitely be staying at the Hotel J the next time I am in Stockholm.

Room Tip: I had a wonderful view of the sea and the large ocean liners passing by. Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was really looking forward to this trip to Stockholm and to Hotel J and was not disappointed. Having looked at the previous reviews I had taken their comments on board and had prepared myself for the transport and eating issues.

The Location was amazing and we were given a free upgrade to a sea view for our wedding anniversary which was great. The room was extremely comfortable and spacious. The bathroom especially had everything you could wish for. Even very low lighting so that if you needed to get up in the middle of the night you did not disturb anyone else! The bed was so big and comfortable I did not want to get up. Only slight downside was the curtains let in quite a lot of light and as it doesn't really get dark at night this woke me up quite early.

I really missed having my morning cup of tea or coffee as there wasn't any facility in the room.

Breakfast was really lovely and everything was replenished without having to ask. It was only busy one morning out of 4. Having to walk outside was part of the charm of this hotel.

If you want to use this hotel for a short break I would suggest buying a Stockholm Card from the tourist information before you go. There is a discount online and they deliver it to your door. This covers all transport including the Slovagan boats Misigu and Ballerina which leave from Nybroplan. We found the departure point quite difficult to find but once we did we used the boats every day and they were quite regular. One point of interest was that it was Midsummer Holiday and the timetable reflected this. If you wanted to pay other operators these were plentiful.

As we missed the last boat on Midsummer Day we decided to get the bus, having the Stockholm Card meant we did not have to go to the bother of getting tickets etc. Unfortunately we had missed the last bus from Slussen the 443 which goes directly to Nacka Strand at 6.30 on a holiday! We managed to get the 409 which drops off at Nacka Forum which is within walking distance to Hotel J. These buses ran very frequently.

In order to get the bus the best thing to do is go down to Hotel J Restaurant and get the finicular up the hill. The bus stop is directly ahead.

Also I would suggest booking your journey on the Arlanda Express from the airport in advance as for the whole of this summer there is a 2 for 1 ticket available which saves you 280 Kronor off.

Stockholm is extremely expensive, food is almost double that in the UK and a glass of wine is about £11. This should be bourne in mind when complaining about prices in the hotel. I found everyone extremely helpful and friendly and would certainly recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jillybean43
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Hotel J in Stockholm, and as indicated above there are some good, average and poor/bad elements.
Firstly good points:
Breakfast is of good qaulity, it is a buffet and given that eating out in Stockholm can at times be eye wateringly expensive it's well worth filling up on.
Location, although this can be both a postive and negative, it is on the waters edge and has a gorgeous sunset, but it's a boat or bus ride from Stockholm. The boat will cost about £9.00 return per person.
Secondly average;
We were given inaccurate advice for the most basic questions, where to buy bus tickets, as you can't purchase them on the bus and the hotel doesn't sell them, we were advised to buy them at the tobaccanist but on Saturday the shop is closed so having walked around the local area (Nacka Strand) we finaly found the closed shop.
We asked for ferry information to the outer archipelaga which was also inaccurate, e.g. times destinations etc.
Thirdly, bad points: We had to ask for the towels in the room to be changed, we also had to ask for bath robes which we didn't have at all, and we still didn't get slippers despite asking.
We booked and paid for a deluxe sea view room and were given room 458. This room has a balcony with an enormous tree directly in front of it, so although you can see the sea to the left and right, the view is obstucted, definately not a deluxe view. If you book and pay for this type of room which is expensive, ask for a room change if offered 458. The building that the rooms are located in are up several quite steep flights of outdoor stairs and are some way back from the waters edge. The balcony had only 1 chair on it and was not big enough to accommodate another, so as a couple not so good.
We were told by reception staff not put any additional logs on the fire in the lounge as it was smelling, to my knowledge burning wood smells of.. well... burning wood, not good customer service.
Some staff at breakfast were very grumpy, shouting at us that it was time to leave, weekday breakfast is only until 9.30am so don't expect a lie in.
My biggest complaint that the hotel should address is the restaurants, they have two, a club house on site, and a brasserie that is a 5 - minute walk from the hotel. While we were there the Club House was closed for 2 - nights, had a private reception for 1 night, and was fully booked the other, (note, this hotel provides corporate facilities and this seems to take priority from hotel guests). We were refused a table here, no tables are kept back for hotel guests, and given that you don't always know what you want to do with your evenings after a day spent sightseeing this is pretty poor. The Brasserie had a private reception on 1 night, and was fully booked on the 2 - nights that we tried to get a table. Do not rely on eating at either restaurants after a day of sightseeing if you have not booked days in advance.
Staff were overall of a poor standard, aside from one lady at reception who booked us a table at a restaurant on a nearby island (this was a boat ride away, £20.00 return trip on the boat and expensive), having been turned away from both Hotel J's establishments, the staff were entirely unhelpful and at times rude.
Stockholm is beautiful but expensive and the cost of transport to and from central Stockholm
to Hotel J should be a consideration when booking.
Mr & Mrs Morgan. UK.

Room Tip: If you pay for a deluxe sea view room, change from room 458.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marion M
Reviewed June 10, 2012

BREAKFAST
For a hotel this size, breakfast was surprisingly good. It’s buffet-style and has all the staples – cold meats, cheese, and good variety of wonderful freshly baked bread. There is also bacon, scrambled eggs, soft-boiled eggs, and Swedish-style thin pancakes. Try the pancakes with whipped cream and some of their home-made blueberry jam, what a way to start your day! Coffee was good and Sadly there were not many vegetarian items, but if you are vegetarian you will manage. Swedish newspapers are provided and the breakfast room itself was inviting and had great views. It can get busy at times, but I always got what I wanted from the buffet and everyone was always courteous.

Tip: Breakfast is served on the lower floor of the Club House (Tårnvillan), which is a few minutes walk from either of the hotel buildings. Make sure you wear good shoes and put on a jacket if it’s cold outside.

ROOM
My room was on the 4th floor. Bright, inviting, and had a fantastic view out to the sea. I liked the polished wooden floor (great if you have dust allergies), and the light wooden furniture. The room had all the standard amenities such as a hair dryer, flat screen TV etc. There is a minibar and plenty of hanging and drawer space for your clothes. The bed was comfortable and there was also a very comfortable chair. There are big windows and a door leading out to the balcony. I did not like the balcony with the wrought iron balustrade. I kept worrying I might lose something, and it was a very long way down. Also, the chair on the balcony was not comfortable. I ended up moving the comfy chair indoor to the balcony door and sat there for a whole evening watching the boats go by and the sun go down, which was really nice. The bathroom was great, with underfloor heating and a good shower. Not sure about the navy blue instead of white towels but they were very soft. There is no ironing board in the room, but there is an ironing room out by the lifts. My room was in the new building, so the corridor still had a “new building” smell and everything was literally brand new and looked unused.
When booking I would recommend getting a sea view, it really makes a huge difference. Many rooms face the sea – see my photos so you can see what I mean.

Note there are NO coffee- or tea making facilities in the room. Very disappointing. I ended up buying a thermos, going down to the lobby self-serve bar and filling it up with coffee. For a hotel charging the rates they do you would think they could at least provide a kettle in the rooms.

HOTEL
The hotel itself is comprised of two freestanding buildings, one which was obviously built very recently. Reception is in the older building, and right next to the reception is a great lounge area with a self-serve bar, a fireplace and some very comfortable chairs. This is the place to go if you want to relax. The bar has soft drinks, wine, beer, cider, coffee and sometimes very nice pastries. In the summer you can also sit outside – they provide deckstyle chairs and if a little chilly there are blankets you can tuck yourself into. There are also some tables and chair out on the grassy courtyard, and you are welcome to sit there and have your drink. Wi-fi also works there so I took my laptop and caught up on my work emails whilst enjoying the sunny day and a glass of wine.

A major downside to the hotel is that it’s not all housed in one big building. Therefore you have to walk outside for anything. For example, after I checked in I had to lug my suitcase up quite a few steps to get to my hotel building. You can avoid the steps, but it’s a longer walk and a bit steep, so if you are not fit and you have a heavy suitcase you may struggle.

THE CLUB HOUSE RESTAURANT
Other reviewers have rightly stated that the hotel has very limited options for dining. In fact, you only have two options – the Club House or the always-full J Restaurant. The Club House is not open all week, and has a pretty limited menu with 6 mains. Not an issue if you are staying for 2 nights but on the fourth night when you have already tried half the dishes on the menu and you don’t like the look of the rest it becomes a bit limiting. The Club House is in a building within the hotel “complex”

The club house itself is quite charming and the food was OK, although a bit bland. On my first night I had fish, which turned out to be raw in places. I had to send it back, to an embarrassed waitress, who recovered the whole situation well by apologising, giving me a free glass of wine on the house and making sure my replacement fish was cooked right. A free glass of wine may not seem like much, but in a country where a remortgage of your house is required before you can sip as much as a glass it’s a pretty nice gesture.

The restaurant is clearly frequented with a mix of single business travellers who all look a bit bored and lonely, and Swedish couples who are out for a special night. During the rest of my stay I had dinner there several other times and it was fine, but it felt a bit formal. Great if you want a nice dinner overlooking the water but for just a simple dinner for one before bedtime it just felt a bit too much.

Warning: The Club House is not open January – beginning of May and is also closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Tip 1: If booking a table try and get a table overlooking the water, the view is wonderful.
Tip 2: The bar is not half bad and there are some very comfy seats next to the bar so if with a group it’s a good idea to go and have a drink first.

LOCATION
The area is a mix of residential and businesses and is pretty quiet, especially after business hours. If you are looking to party, this is definitely not the place for you. The feeling is of being pretty far away from it all, although geographically you are not far away from the centre of Stockholm across the water. Hotel J is the only hotel in the area. You can walk down to the marina, or up to the main square where there are a few shops which close early. If you walk further, over the motorway, you will see a large shopping mall, and next to it there is a large ICA supermarket.

OTHER PLACES TO EAT
This hotel has VERY limited options for dining, especially after 8PM. There is the Club House (if open) and the J Restaurant, a trendy and high-priced affair which is normally fully booked. If you can get a table, great but there may be a long wait for a table. Both restaurants offer a pretty formal style of dining.

There is NO room service for lunch and dinner. For breakfast they do offer a continental breakfast delivered to your room (for a fee).

The reason your dining options are so limited is because you are so far away from central Stockholm. In fact, you are so far away that even pizza delivery is not an option! I called 3 different pizza places and checked all the websites that do deliveries. None of them deliver out to Nacka. So, here are your only other options:

1) There is a McDonald’s open 24 hours about 15-20 minutes walk from the hotel.
2) The Nacka Forum mall has quite a few cafes and restaurants, which mostly close at 8PM. 20 minutes walk (15 minutes brisk walk) from the hotel. No buses so you have to walk, or take your car if you have one.
3) There is a small take-away place in the town square, doing sushi and other “asian” dishes, but it closes at 3PM every day.
4) I did not try it, but there is a pizza place not too far away (no delivery ), pizzas are supposedly good, but they also close at 8PM.
5) Take some food with you, for example buy some take-away from somewhere in central Stockholm and take it on the boat back in the evening.

TRANSPORT
I wanted to try and complete the picture as to your transport options to/from this hotel.
- By boat: Walk for 5 minutes down to the marina and catch a boat to Nybroplan for the centre of Stockholm, or Frihamnen for the harbour. It really is a great way to travel. Even at peak hours the boats never seem to be really full, and there is plenty of space. There is space for 4 bikes, and there is a small cafe onboard where you can buy coffee and pastries. The boat system may seem confusing at first, but it’s pretty simple: There are 2 boats that run different routes from the marina (Nacka Strand). The one to Nybroplan takes about 25 minutes and takes you to the very centre of Stockholm – for example just a few minutes down the promenade from Nybroplan there are plenty of trendy cafes where you can sit down, chill out and enjoy a drink. You can also easily catch other public transport from there. The boat to the harbour (Frihamnen) takes you to the main harbour of Stockholm, which is not very central but convenient for some parts of Stockholm (i.e. Östermalm). The fare is reasonable and you can buy a 10-trip card onboard for SEK 300.

There are also boats going to Slussen and Lidingö, but most of these boats either only run during the summer or they have a very reduced service during winter. Ask in reception for timetables and details.

Tip 1: If unsure ask before you board the boat where it’s going. You don’t want to end up in the wrong place!

Tip 2: Fares, route maps and timetables are available from www.sjovagen.nu

- By bus:
There are multiple buses going into the centre of Stockholm. Some of the buses do not run in the summer, but there are always buses going to Slussen and they run pretty late. At weekends there is also a night bus (number 404) which runs until 02:30 in the winter at 03:15 in the summer from Slussen. During the winter season there is also a bus going to T-Centralen. You can catch the buses from the Nacka Strand station, which is a 10-15 minute walk up a pretty steep hill – or if the funicular-style lift is running walk down to the marina and take the lift up (it’s free).

- By taxi:
Taxi from the airport currently has a fixed price of SEK 545 and takes about 45 minutes. It is definitely worth taking a taxi from the airport. The alternative is to take the bus or airport express train into town and then catch a taxi from there, a bus or the boat – but if you have luggage this is a lot of hassle. A taxi from the hotel into town will set you back about SEK 250.

- By car:
Coming by car is very convenient and there is free parking. Note that there may be a lot of traffic during peak hours, depending on where you are coming from.

CONCLUSION
My conclusion is that this hotel is great for couples who are looking for a stress-free weekend away, with the minus point that there is no room service so you have to go out for your meals, and you have to plan ahead and always book a table. For business I did not find the hotel very convenient, except if you are visiting a company in the vicinity or have your own car. I have given it an overall "average" rating due to the lack of facilities.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea in the old building have the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
11  Thank polar_b