All reviewsnacka strandsea viewhonesty barminute ferry ridecity centreseparate buildingboat stopbreakfast is servedliving roomrelaxing hotelduring summeroverlooking the waterbreakfast roomnew england stylecold meatsvery pleasant staystayed for one night
Reviewed July 2, 2011

So I stayed at Hotel J a month ago. Overall I liked it alot. Like others mentioned, it is a smaller boutique hotel with a Cape Cod design and feel.

Pros:
--Design/style - the Cape Cod was cool
--Room design/size (small but it is Europe)
--Location. It is remote on the channel but I liked that part since it was near my business meetings.
--Staff: They were really great. I needed to use their phone for a 2 hour meeting and they were fine with that. They also provided internet cablets and electricity converters
--Breakfast: Very good

Cons:
--Probably a 20min ride from Stockholm. It would have been nice to walk around the city at night. Whilte you can take a taxi/boat, it is so much easier just to walk outside your door and just take in Stockholm. Since it was business, I was fine with this. But if it was a personal vacation, I would have not been happy

--Phone system: They blocked international calling cards. I have never heard of this before. It is something small but if you are on business and need to use the phone, it is a really big deal

--Nearby area: There really isn't much around. I couldn't find a grocery or restaurants open after 5pm except for Resautaurant J. A side note on this. It is not worth eating there more than once. It is over priced food (even for Stockholm), okay food, but over priced. It is surprising how busy but I think they serve a certain clientele.

Overall, if you have business in Nacka Strand, it is a great place to stay. If it is your first visit to Stockholm, I would recomend choosing something in the city. The remoteness of the location doesn't offset the other advantages of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank gbmateo
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We have just returned from a week at Hotel J and we would have no qualms about recommending it at all. It has a very relaxed, casual atmosphere yet if you feel like getting dressed up we found some people to be quite smart at the Restaurant J although casual was fine too. The location was a concern for us before we went as we feared it would be too far out- but opted to go as thought it would be good to get out of the centre of the city at night with two young boys. We think this added to the trip - you can get a water taxi from outside the restaurant which is great - it takes about twenty minutes. It was there for the locals toing and froing from work. In April it wasn't running at night. There is an excellent bus service though and it was a three minute walk to the bus stop (up quite a steep hill). The bus went to Slussen (10 min journey) and from there you could either walk around Sodermalm or take a tube anywhere in the city - with everywhere being just about two stops - Gamla Stan may only have been one. The tube wasn't as busy or as stressful as London and a lot of the stations smelt of cinnamon swirls!! In the city you can hop on and off tubes, buses and boats - the great thing being that one ticket can get you on all of the methods of transport barring the boat.
We took a suite (room 214 although I think 216 would have had just a slightly better view)since we had two children with us who were too young to have their own room but too old for cots. This was great as they slept downstairs and we slept upstairs. There was a TV on both levels. There is also a little balcony that you could sit out on in the Summer whilst the children were sleeping.
We found the hotel most welcoming to the boys - and the kids were delighted when every morning at breakfast they were brought a hot chocolate! Smiles all around. There is also a lovely courtyard outside which looks onto the water - kids can play there whilst you sit and watch the boats go by - boats ranging from - the water taxis, tourist trips, police boats speeding by and also the gigantic cruise liners which were always great fun to watch float by.
The lounge is very relaxed and lovely to sit in for breakfast or for a glass of wine by the fire at night. Breakfast were great. The hotel is mainly done up by the company GANT - and you can see the Gant offices along the shoreline a little way.
We were suprised to find we were the only tourists and the only people from the UK - the hotel was mainly used by business people - Nacka Strand is a business area - this meant that people tended to breakfast early - midweek breakfast was from 7.30-9.30. Our first morning we went at 9am and it was very quiet - the following morning we went at 7.30 and saw some other people!! The hotel is also used by families and parties who eat at restaurant J and then stay over as there is a deal that people can do. I think it is good to see it being used by the Swedes themselves - it says a lot!! This is not to say that the Hotel wasn't helpful for us as tourists as they will help you and find out anything for you that you need and I know they are keen to have tourists. You will be made to feel very welcome. It is small enough that someone will have a chat with you most days about what you have been up to.
There is no tea or coffee in the bedrooms which we are used to in hotels in the UK - but you can help yourself to them in the reception area 24/7 and there is also muffins and cookies etc - there is a small charge for them.
I do not think it is the hotel I would choose if I was going in a group of young people who are looking to enjoy the nightlife as its too far out of town and is a quiet hotel but for couples and families it is ideal. For those who would like to go somewhere that there is no children I would still recommend Hotel J as I think we were the only ones with children there during the week! They were very welcome though.
It felt like a big house and we felt very comfortable. The blue and white colour scheme felt very fresh and makes you want to go for a sail! It feels fresh and crisp, luxurious and comfortable. The rooms have both heating and air-conditioning and you control the temperature of your room. Go for it - you'll love it!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MurrayFamily1234
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend one night to celebrate our 3rd anniversary day and my birthday. We stayed in one of the suites with a great sea view. Our three-course dinner at the restaurant was delicious. My parents and brother also came out to Nacka Strand and we ate the Sunday brunch at the restaurant, it was lovely! After the brunch we took a walk by the waterfront.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Quaint hotel located only 10 minutes from the city center of Stockholm. Stayed in a suite with a nice view of the harbour. New England style with a cosy atmosphere, especially with the open fireplace in the general lounge/breakfast area. Great place for a weekend getaway with the city nearby. Quiet room with a super comfortable bed!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Nice clean stylish hotel with neat rooms.

Lack of food, just microheated Quick meals - otherwise u have to take a Quick stroll to restaurant J :)

• Stayed: November 2010