“Wonderful food & loud music”
Review of Grand Efe Hotel

Grand Efe Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Ozdere
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We spent in this hotel only the last 3 days while backpacking around Turkey. So for us it was a kind of luxury. The stay there was relaxing, but what disturbed us was the awfully loud music in the taverna bar - everybody had to hear a mixture of disco, techno and who knows what... Also barely a few staff guys spoke English, which sometimes was a problem. If you spoke Russian, there would be no problem. The hotel was full of Russian, Romanian and Turkish people. We couldn't find almost anybody speaking western language.The swimming pools, compared to other hotels of this class were quite small but decent, we enjoyed it a lot. The food was amazing - plentiful and great choice. After 2 weeks there we'd probably by fat as elephants... They offered free tennis court, minigolf, table tennis, canoes etc., that helped us to survive there, cause we hate just laying on the beach, althoug actually this hotel was chosen by us to relax close to the sea and with the possibility to jump into a swimming pool. By the way - the beach was not sandy at all, but rather 'cobbly'.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kowalska

Reviewed September 6, 2008

We have just come back from a two week stay at the Grand Efe. To agree with Etta (last thread), the hotel is a little remote, situated outside Ozdere, which isn't a very exciting town. We were also surprised how far away from Kusadasi the hotel was - 35KM! Or 80 YTL (£40) in a taxi (after negotiation) for the round trip. Apart from that, there are no restaurants within walking distance and only 3 or 4 small shops nearby.

The Hotel itself is quite nice and the rooms are ok (we had a sea view) apart from limited drawer space and satellite TV with only Russian, Turkish, German and Rumanian channnels. As it has been said in earlier posts, the hotel doesn't really cater for British tourists (there weren't many around), but that said, we enjoyed the holiday anyway and didn't find this a real problem.

The biggest problem and main grumble about the Grand Efe is the food. The choice of hot food is very limited with a menu that is uninspiring to say the least. Chicken, Lamb, Fish and Beef (or Fried Cow as they listed it as on the menu one day) was the staple choice, sometimes if we were lucky with an option of a kebab once or twice a week. ALWAYS spaghetti though! Every night, there is an organist playing songs (quite loud at times) - but by week two, his repertoire was getting a little wearing (if I hear that Na Ma Na Ma muppets song once more...). Unfortunately, there were flies everywhere - and I think this is an area where the hotel can improve its hygeine standards immediately. It simply isn't healthy to constantly have to select bread and cakes from under the top layer because flies are settling all over the the surfaces above. We've stayed in Turkey and Greece before and never seen a fly problem so bad. There were NO fly 'zapping' machines anywhere in the serving area and no real attempt at all to combat the problem which is fairly appalling.

There is an outside area where you can eat and at lunch times, and it's quite pleasant to sit and eat under the shade of the tall trees. But again, be warned, dozens of small birds are watching your every move - and as we witnessed several times, they will devour a meal as soon as the diner has left their seat (for a drink etc), leaving the waiters to have chase them off.

We all suffered bouts of severe stomach cramps (and worse), with my wife especially affected by this problem. So to avoid us having to go to the doctor, we avoided ice in drinks; food that may have flies walking on it; food that had been washed in water (salads and fruit)...which didn't leave much left to go for at meal times! We still don't know what gave us the problems - but thank goodness we had enough immodium - and even bigger thanks to other familes who donated their own medical supplies on their departure. Before our holiday, I read the earlier Hepatitus A thread with a bit of disbelief...but now I can appreciate that there may have been some truth in this message!

On the plus side, the staff are very nice (as we've always found in Turkey) in general. The animation team work really hard to please everyone and the evening entertainment always gave us a lots of laughs, especially on Saturday nights with the (male) belly dancer!

So, to sum up, the negatives are: the flies in the eating area (get some fly zappers in); the food choice (a lamb chop would have been nice); the quick & greedy birds (nets could be put above the tables to stop them diving onto the tables) and the location (especially the distance from Kusadasi town).

The positives are: the mainly helpful reception and bar staff; the hard working, good humoured animation team; the pool area with two water shoots (great for the kids); the general cleanliness of the hotel (apart from the flies); good sized rooms - and the great choice of water sports (pedalo's, kayak's, jet ski's, paragliding etc) - all from the Efe's own beach area.

One warning: if you fly direct to Izmir airport, you will have a one hour journey to the hotel, which is fine. Otherwise, you will be flown to Bodrum airport and wil face a THREE HOUR jouney to the hotel which is very tiring especially for children.

Finally, for a great day out, make sure that you go on the Boat Trip (just a short walk up the beach) - fantastic value for money!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Buzz052
Reviewed September 1, 2008

just stayed here we are 2 families with 5 kids. our first time in turkey. we thought we had booked to stay in kusudasi but we were another 30/40 mins away. this hotel is quite remote although you can walk for 1/2 howeto ozdere town.

the hotel itself is ok. the food doesnt cater for any english people at all. although you can get cereals in the morning and you can get chips at the pool bar between 3 and 5pm thats about as english as it gets! the all inclusive bar doesnt include rum, and there seemed to be alot that you had to pay for. you can get the local beer, reki, soft drinks and tea and vodka.

the entertaiment at night is soley done by the aminimation crew. which i though at times wasnt appropriate for children to watch, and at 11.30 its eveyone out from the bar area and then they open the disco which children are not allowed in untill late. the music starts at 9.00pm with the same cd night after night. with the animation team doing the same dance songs, but the same ones every night got a bit repetitive.

there were only 4 other english familes there, the rest we from romania, masadoina etc. who seemed to be having a ball!!

the kids really enjoyed the pool areas and the pool slides. the beach is quite pebbley though and its not good sand to lay on.

the pool area is very very busy and we had no chance of bagging the poolside for the sunbeds. but we still could get sunbeds around the hotel which are spread all over.

during my time there i got an infected mosquito bite and had blood poisoning. there is a doctor on site even though she didnt speak any english whatsoever, she arranged for a medic to take me the medical centre where i had antibiotics pumped intravenously and then had to see the on site doctor twice a day for injections. the medical care i received was excellent

the reception staff are very helpful , but only a couple of them spoke a little english.

on wednesday there is a market in kusudasi which is well worth a visit. get your bartering head on and get some great bargins! we got loads of "designer gear" and "designer handbags"

overall this was ok for a week , but i wouldnt like to think that i was going for 2 weeks, it was too quiet around the hotel. i wouldnt go again, i will be trying marmaris next time!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank etta1
Reviewed May 25, 2008

it was my first trip to Turkey and I didn't expect a lot! I was travalint with my mum. and it wasn't a problem) this hotel is mostly for young people/ and most of visitors r not alder that 27... there were few families with children and there was mini club for them.
it is all AI hotel. the food was ok the whole day long. there is one main restaurant for breckfast, lunch and dinner and there was a beach bar for snacks all day long. drinks r includeede till midnight. Rooms were ok, large enough for 3 people. our room had a see view above the main restaurant.
Animation team works realy gd! during the day time there r game at the beach and near the pool. everytnight there r different shows whichh r really funny? and also some contests like Mr/miss Grand efe?best couple and so on! then there is disco ever night at hotels night club whichh i found really great and crowded with young people every night! music is international mostly pop and R n B) so everynight there is a great party that last until 4 am whichh u gonna like.
I met a lot of different people there from all over the world and we made friends and still keep in tatch... there r a lot of germans and Turks... people r really friendly and i think it is becausee of that hotels friendly atmosfer.
I can strongly recommend this hotel for young visitors who want to have fun
the beach is small there and be careful with see. there r sharp stones on the bottom and a lot of Sea hedgehogs whichh can be dangerous/ i stood at one of them and during last week it was painful to walk

• Stayed: July 2004
1  Thank alala
Reviewed October 5, 2007

I was dubious about returning to Turkey in the first place but I'd convinced myself that it would be ok from the Hotels 4 star rating.
What a mistake! Me and my wife have just been diagnosed with Hep A 3 weeks after returning (put Hep A into Google!)
The hotel physically is lovely, fantastic views, good facilities especially for kids and relatively clean rooms. I thought the food was quite nice actually at the time. Absolutely no English food, which made for a nice change, but then they was nothing English about the hotel, no English people, no English tourist information or English TV channels. Thats fine for a week and it was pleasantly different.
The staff, especially the bar staff and restaurant serving staff were the rudest, most ignorant people I've ever encountered in my life. Strangely not so with my young good looking wife wife or her pretty friend but when serving me or my mate you'd think we'd just crawled out from under a stone!! There was a notable exception to the staff, a english speaking receptionist who bent over backwards to try and find out if there were any TV channels showing the England Football match. Very helpful and pleasant she was.
I had a bad experience with illness after going to Turkey in 1999 I vowed never to return. I've travelled extensively including the far east and I've never had any problems. I will never ever go back to Turkey and unfortunately for this hotel its pleasant outer shell is let down by its obvious questionable hygiene standards.
I'm not directly accusing this hotel of giving us this awful disease and some might read this and say well how do you know you got ill from the hotel, easy, we never ate anywhere else other than there because it was all inclusive. Hep A is rare in the UK and we've been nowhere else on holiday in the last 12 months! Doesn't take a Brain Surgeon to work it out does it? shame. Its only right and fair that this is pointed out to potential future guests.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank DrJamie8
Reviewed September 30, 2007

My experience Tuesday night, my last night in Ozdere was spoiled by the Manager or Supervisor on duty at the disco. Myself, my wife, and two friends left the Disco at 1am. We were approached by a man outside the disco, next to the lobby bar on the second floor. This man had no name tag, no title when he asked us where our wristbands were, for disco entrance purposes. His tone was immediately harsh and no questions were asked in an inquisitive tone; he only accused. My wife and her sister continued to argue with this man for several minutes, eventually following him to the front desk to settle the manner. At no point did this man provide his name, job position, or any other identifying pieces of information that would allow us or even comfort us into providing any information to him. The following morning, our party asked for his name at the front desk. At this time, this man entered the building and he continued to argue with my wife and her sister, turning towards physical violence as a means of settling the argument. My wife attempted to get his name and he approached her to hit her. His companion at the time restrained him.
It is my personal opinion that this man acted in a disgusting manner towards us as hotel guests. My opinion of the hotel as a whole is good natured, however, I have no respect for this man. We did find out that his name is Ugur Binici. I ask that you consider my opinion on this matter and take the necessary actions to deal with this man and his disgusting behaviour.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank lbnuke
Reviewed August 12, 2007

My sister and i stayed in the Grand Efe for an all inclusive week in Jul 07. Accomodation was comfortable and clean, weather was fab, food was good & plentiful, wine & beer weren't bad considering they were free, staff were friendly and professional (although at mealtimes they tended to clear your plate much too fast!!). There were plenty of sunbeds but unbelievable competition for beds on the beach, pool and grassy areas. We literally had to get up at 6/7am to get a sunbed!! We would leave our towels and then go back to bed for a while. Needless to say it was too much like hard work on what was supposed to be a relaxing hol, so we gave up on this strategy and took our chances, you could always find a sunbed on the rooftop of the bar, which had a lovely view of the sea. The water was perfect temperature and very clean, but unfortunately the seabed is very rocky and plastic shoes are a must. Overall it was a very good holiday, but we would have gone mad there after a week, not alot to do & about 1hr from Kusadasi, we got a taxi in one night which cost EUR50 return. There is a good hammam at a nearby hotel (apologies I just cannot rember the name, but they will tell you at reception!!), where we also got a wonderful full body massage (EUR45 all in), to be recommended!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank rubyaoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ozdere
Notion Kesre Beach Hotel & spa
Club Marvy
Club Marvy
#3 of 11 in Ozdere
Aria Claros Beach & Spa Resort

Been to Grand Efe Hotel? Share your experiences!