“good”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Ozdere
Colchester, United Kingdom
“good”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

when I was there it was full of romanian and british tourists. it is located just in front of the sea. the food was extremely good. you can enjoy the seaside without any extra fee for sun loungers. if it hasnt been refurbushed recently, the furniture and hotel was quite old looking.

the annoying thing for the hotel was this: you can not eat your desert in cafe area where there is available tea! you can eat your desert only in the restaurant where there is no tea that time. but I like eating my desert with a cup of tea. this seemed annoyingly funny to me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank tourist t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Constanta, Romania
Reviewed August 24, 2011

There were lots of things to love in Grand Efe Hotel Club !

But I will start with the worst first - cause I guess that's why we are looking on trip advisors, mainly :

large insects present (very large musquitos and bees)
bad music
animation/show not funny at all
things done "by the book", with no enthusiasm (even the games and mini-disco)
vegetables are not cleaned before joined into salads
small pools
cold water most of the day
due to the shadow
stones in the seaside - easy to be hurt
bad signal for Vodafone TR

Good things :

all kinds of people as turists
nice and diligent room maid
good prices
good food (not always clean, but good)
u may use Vodafone GR (better prices)
free Internet Wifi - not so fast, but enough and free
kids playground and mini-club (nice "blonde" animators/educators)
2 free snack/pizza hours included
all-day-long free bar

So, if they made it short and simple (I am refering to their work and enthusiasm), you should - too - keep it short and simple !

G.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank travelmate222
Varna
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I waited for my personal day to go there, it was October.For the price, Grand Efe offers quite more than the lousy 3-star hotels in both Kusadasi and Marmaris, while the latter totally sux.I went there by bus, and the first impressions were that the location is superb, but at night the hotel seemed small.I had a terrible night, waiting and sleeping on the sofa before check-in, it was quite a nightmare.When I woke up-everyone had already checked in, and the hotel staff apologized for not waking me up-nobody even dared to, they said.Although other hotels don`t let you use anything in the hotel before 2 p.m, I asked for breakfast, and all of them showed me the restaurant with hands, as if I was a special person.I was blown away by the various meals in teh restaurant, they were almost 100.WTF, this is not something you will see in Bulgaria (do NOT ever go there, sponsorship for the mafia, that is the owner of ALL hotels), you won`t see even 10 there.I liked the room, and the bath with shower as well.I had problems with the latter for the first 2 days, the water would flow quite poorly.I left it fill the bath with patience and red a book, but everything was fine after this.The tavern on the beach made very tasty sandwiches and salads-I swear on a stack of bibles that they outperform McDonalds.Teh waiters are quite polite.I very much liked the fat cats that begged for meat and nothing less than meat-no cheese, please, they do not eat cheese, although it was of very high quality.Since it was October, the water was so freezing in teh pools that I kept screaming like a girl when entering.Teh two water slides are quite fun, both of them, many people use it like little kids, including me.Teh sea is quite rocky and salty and I would not recommend it even to an enemy.I had red previous reviews and I had hard shoes with me, but they prevented me from swimming.Salt made my shaved face burn, and teh salty water entered into my eyes.I rushed so hard to the platform (A Capricorn does not turn back) and I felt like drowning.One Russian [-] was looking at me and was laughing, maybe this is what made me make it.Teh platform moving made me sea sick and I jumped as far as I ever could, and swimmed again only with my hands, and when I gave it up-my feet could reach the stones.It was not that far, but I did panic.This is one of the very few bad things that the hotel has no guilt about.
I was quite tired from teh trip and from hardworking in Bulgaria, so I rushed to my room, put noise-cancelling buds in my ears and had a wonderful sleep from 3 p.m to 9 a.m.During my stay I noticed that the staff was changing most of the meals in teh restaurant, that was pleasantly surprising.One day, I walked for hours from teh hotel to Ozdere`s end of town and back, not to lose my shape.I both a full bag of Derby shaving creams that worth they money more than Arko.Teh people in teh stores and shops sure know how to do business, they changed my Euros into Turkish liras at even better rate than teh change bureaus. A barber gave me my first ever straight razor shave with replaceable blades for just 2 euros, and he put so many stuff on my face, I wonder how does he make for a living.Excellent, close to BBS shave!Meals and you name it-everything is dirt cheap, I had only 150 Euros, and I went to see Ephesus, teh Aqua Fantasy water park (which is very, very bad and disappointing, the staff there was in contrast with Grand Efe staff-very rude), I went to so many trips, and the money was enough for all of it! I visited teh Turkish bath in teh hotel, it was relaxing, but take the longest and full procedure, or you will be very disappointed.There is an arcade in teh hotel which has old classical games, table hockey, billiards and is very cheap and of good quality.Teh shops in teh hotel are nothing special, expensive, but less expensive that I expected.Teh Germans and the French people were quite noisy and talked like screaming, like if they insisted to show the world their existence.But it was only in teh lounge.Teh latter offered free internet, many people brought their laptops from their rooms, in order to use it.And to show you how brilliant the staff is, I will tell you a computer-related disaster that I had.
My camera card was full and I needed to transfer some on my portable hard drive, and I used one of their computers.Something wrong, it restarted, and I lost all my photos and videos, due to teh program that restores the previous state.No undelete programs helped, and teh computers lacked working cd-roms.When I saw this, I suggested that their power cables were meant not to be connected.I asked on teh reception for a screwdriver and they refused, they called an admin from Izmir that said I cannot help it.I insisted, as I am a computer expert from a high level, and the admin said-OK, do what you can, try your best.This nightmare continued 2 days.The tattoo guy said-I will undelete your pictures but you will bestow your hdd to me.This is a blackmail, I said and refused.So I disassembled the PC in teh internet cafe, tried my best, and nothing.There was no cd-rom, it did not work after powering it, so my expert recovery cds were helpless.I reassembled the PC, returned the screwdriver to teh guy from the reception, who was watching me all teh time.After I came home I was able to restore everything but 4 missing pictures.Where on Earth would they allow you to do this ? ! This is [--] brilliant, I don`t call it a service, but teh customer is indeed always right in Grand Efe Hotel !!!

P.S There is a lot more to be said, but I do not want to write a whole novel, just a review.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank FIxt00L
Poland
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We spent in this hotel only the last 3 days while backpacking around Turkey. So for us it was a kind of luxury. The stay there was relaxing, but what disturbed us was the awfully loud music in the taverna bar - everybody had to hear a mixture of disco, techno and who knows what... Also barely a few staff guys spoke English, which sometimes was a problem. If you spoke Russian, there would be no problem. The hotel was full of Russian, Romanian and Turkish people. We couldn't find almost anybody speaking western language.The swimming pools, compared to other hotels of this class were quite small but decent, we enjoyed it a lot. The food was amazing - plentiful and great choice. After 2 weeks there we'd probably by fat as elephants... They offered free tennis court, minigolf, table tennis, canoes etc., that helped us to survive there, cause we hate just laying on the beach, althoug actually this hotel was chosen by us to relax close to the sea and with the possibility to jump into a swimming pool. By the way - the beach was not sandy at all, but rather 'cobbly'.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kowalska
Liverpool
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We have just come back from a two week stay at the Grand Efe. To agree with Etta (last thread), the hotel is a little remote, situated outside Ozdere, which isn't a very exciting town. We were also surprised how far away from Kusadasi the hotel was - 35KM! Or 80 YTL (£40) in a taxi (after negotiation) for the round trip. Apart from that, there are no restaurants within walking distance and only 3 or 4 small shops nearby.

The Hotel itself is quite nice and the rooms are ok (we had a sea view) apart from limited drawer space and satellite TV with only Russian, Turkish, German and Rumanian channnels. As it has been said in earlier posts, the hotel doesn't really cater for British tourists (there weren't many around), but that said, we enjoyed the holiday anyway and didn't find this a real problem.

The biggest problem and main grumble about the Grand Efe is the food. The choice of hot food is very limited with a menu that is uninspiring to say the least. Chicken, Lamb, Fish and Beef (or Fried Cow as they listed it as on the menu one day) was the staple choice, sometimes if we were lucky with an option of a kebab once or twice a week. ALWAYS spaghetti though! Every night, there is an organist playing songs (quite loud at times) - but by week two, his repertoire was getting a little wearing (if I hear that Na Ma Na Ma muppets song once more...). Unfortunately, there were flies everywhere - and I think this is an area where the hotel can improve its hygeine standards immediately. It simply isn't healthy to constantly have to select bread and cakes from under the top layer because flies are settling all over the the surfaces above. We've stayed in Turkey and Greece before and never seen a fly problem so bad. There were NO fly 'zapping' machines anywhere in the serving area and no real attempt at all to combat the problem which is fairly appalling.

There is an outside area where you can eat and at lunch times, and it's quite pleasant to sit and eat under the shade of the tall trees. But again, be warned, dozens of small birds are watching your every move - and as we witnessed several times, they will devour a meal as soon as the diner has left their seat (for a drink etc), leaving the waiters to have chase them off.

We all suffered bouts of severe stomach cramps (and worse), with my wife especially affected by this problem. So to avoid us having to go to the doctor, we avoided ice in drinks; food that may have flies walking on it; food that had been washed in water (salads and fruit)...which didn't leave much left to go for at meal times! We still don't know what gave us the problems - but thank goodness we had enough immodium - and even bigger thanks to other familes who donated their own medical supplies on their departure. Before our holiday, I read the earlier Hepatitus A thread with a bit of disbelief...but now I can appreciate that there may have been some truth in this message!

On the plus side, the staff are very nice (as we've always found in Turkey) in general. The animation team work really hard to please everyone and the evening entertainment always gave us a lots of laughs, especially on Saturday nights with the (male) belly dancer!

So, to sum up, the negatives are: the flies in the eating area (get some fly zappers in); the food choice (a lamb chop would have been nice); the quick & greedy birds (nets could be put above the tables to stop them diving onto the tables) and the location (especially the distance from Kusadasi town).

The positives are: the mainly helpful reception and bar staff; the hard working, good humoured animation team; the pool area with two water shoots (great for the kids); the general cleanliness of the hotel (apart from the flies); good sized rooms - and the great choice of water sports (pedalo's, kayak's, jet ski's, paragliding etc) - all from the Efe's own beach area.

One warning: if you fly direct to Izmir airport, you will have a one hour journey to the hotel, which is fine. Otherwise, you will be flown to Bodrum airport and wil face a THREE HOUR jouney to the hotel which is very tiring especially for children.

Finally, for a great day out, make sure that you go on the Boat Trip (just a short walk up the beach) - fantastic value for money!

• Liked — The Turkish people - ever friendly in their own inimitable way!
  • Disliked — The limited choice of food and the flies in the dining room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Buzz052
south yorkshire
Reviewed September 1, 2008

just stayed here we are 2 families with 5 kids. our first time in turkey. we thought we had booked to stay in kusudasi but we were another 30/40 mins away. this hotel is quite remote although you can walk for 1/2 howeto ozdere town.

the hotel itself is ok. the food doesnt cater for any english people at all. although you can get cereals in the morning and you can get chips at the pool bar between 3 and 5pm thats about as english as it gets! the all inclusive bar doesnt include rum, and there seemed to be alot that you had to pay for. you can get the local beer, reki, soft drinks and tea and vodka.

the entertaiment at night is soley done by the aminimation crew. which i though at times wasnt appropriate for children to watch, and at 11.30 its eveyone out from the bar area and then they open the disco which children are not allowed in untill late. the music starts at 9.00pm with the same cd night after night. with the animation team doing the same dance songs, but the same ones every night got a bit repetitive.

there were only 4 other english familes there, the rest we from romania, masadoina etc. who seemed to be having a ball!!

the kids really enjoyed the pool areas and the pool slides. the beach is quite pebbley though and its not good sand to lay on.

the pool area is very very busy and we had no chance of bagging the poolside for the sunbeds. but we still could get sunbeds around the hotel which are spread all over.

during my time there i got an infected mosquito bite and had blood poisoning. there is a doctor on site even though she didnt speak any english whatsoever, she arranged for a medic to take me the medical centre where i had antibiotics pumped intravenously and then had to see the on site doctor twice a day for injections. the medical care i received was excellent

the reception staff are very helpful , but only a couple of them spoke a little english.

on wednesday there is a market in kusudasi which is well worth a visit. get your bartering head on and get some great bargins! we got loads of "designer gear" and "designer handbags"

overall this was ok for a week , but i wouldnt like to think that i was going for 2 weeks, it was too quiet around the hotel. i wouldnt go again, i will be trying marmaris next time!

• Liked — the pool area, the amimation team
  • Disliked — the location, doesnt cater for english
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank etta1
Russia
Reviewed May 25, 2008

it was my first trip to Turkey and I didn't expect a lot! I was travalint with my mum. and it wasn't a problem) this hotel is mostly for young people/ and most of visitors r not alder that 27... there were few families with children and there was mini club for them.
it is all AI hotel. the food was ok the whole day long. there is one main restaurant for breckfast, lunch and dinner and there was a beach bar for snacks all day long. drinks r includeede till midnight. Rooms were ok, large enough for 3 people. our room had a see view above the main restaurant.
Animation team works realy gd! during the day time there r game at the beach and near the pool. everytnight there r different shows whichh r really funny? and also some contests like Mr/miss Grand efe?best couple and so on! then there is disco ever night at hotels night club whichh i found really great and crowded with young people every night! music is international mostly pop and R n B) so everynight there is a great party that last until 4 am whichh u gonna like.
I met a lot of different people there from all over the world and we made friends and still keep in tatch... there r a lot of germans and Turks... people r really friendly and i think it is becausee of that hotels friendly atmosfer.
I can strongly recommend this hotel for young visitors who want to have fun
the beach is small there and be careful with see. there r sharp stones on the bottom and a lot of Sea hedgehogs whichh can be dangerous/ i stood at one of them and during last week it was painful to walk

• Liked — night club
  • Disliked — see
  • Stayed July 2004
1 Thank alala
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ozdere
Notion Kesre Beach Hotel & spa
#3 of 11 in Ozdere
Gumuldur Resort Hotel
Gumuldur Resort Hotel
#3 of 9 in Gumuldur

Been to Grand Efe Hotel? Share your experiences!